“A good attempt...”

Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Risca, United Kingdom
“A good attempt...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I arrived at this hotel just after a coach party and expected a lengthy check in. However, despite a short delay I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the staff dealt with the guests.
I booked a table for dinner but as the same coach party were eating in the restaurant I decided to go back to my room and order room service. Again, I expected a lengthy wait but was surprised to get my food more quickly than I expected.
All in all, a good effort by clearly overstretched staff.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Janey S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your recent stay. I am glad that the team were able to exceed you expectations. They do try and go that extra mile and will appreciate your kind comments.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Enjoyable stay at this hotel prior to visit to Alton Towers we stayed in an executive room with free wifi , nice clean room bit small but manageable . Everything we could want tv , films , fridge , comfortable bed , air conditioning , and bathroom . The breakfast was ok not great but ok and free packs for the kids to entertain them , pool was good although the spa pool a little hot for this time of year . The changing rooms were also not that clean . overall a good stay .

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to feedback about your recent stay. I am pleased that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the pool. I will share you comments about the spa pool temperature with my Health Club Manager.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights with 2 children 5 and under, service was professional and friendly when we arrived, we were quickly shown our room and given an welcome letter with all info we needed.
We stayed in the family room, which was very nice and had tv, bed, sofa bed, kettle with drink sachets, trouser press, toiletries, nice towels and complimentary toiletries. Free WIFI too.
The kids were also given free kiddie colouring and sticker packs.
Breakfast was served buffet style and had a very wide range to choose from inc. pancakes, cereals, full english & fruit etc. It was all self serve but staff were available to help if you needed it.
The pool and jacuzzi area was very clean and friendly, my 2 kids loved being in the pool but I would say the temperature for this time of year in the jacuzzi was way too HOT, but was still nice.
Room service was 24hr and the front desk was manned 24hr too.
The bar and lounge was very inviting and service was friendly and efficient.
The views from hotel were very nice and we found local shopping park, resturaunt and supermarkets easily.
The first day I kept getting lost going back to our room which was no143 but reception always pointed me in the right direction.
A very pleasant experience, I would stay here again or at another one of the holiday inn's.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review, I am delighted you had such a great stay and I know the team will be delighted by your feedback. We always strive to put our guests at the heart of everything we do and it is really appreciated by the team when this gets recognised.

Once again thank you for your very positive comments and for scoring us 5 out of 5. We look forwarding to seeing you again in the not too distant future at the Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent.
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

usually a good Hotel but always lets its self down when busy ie school holidays. I stay on business but arrive late so use the room service - on this occasion no answer for 10 mins. decided then to eat in the bar. Took an hour to get a cold starter and that wasn't very good. come on guys you're better than this. Also don't bother paying for WIFI its pants

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ian H
Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your recent stay. I'm very disappointed to hear about your experience, the comfort and enjoyment of our guests is very important to us and I am sorry that we did not achieve the high standards of service we aim for.

I appreciate that the hotel is busier with families during the holiday and we are looking at different food options to ensure that everyone has a great dining experience and I am appreciate you letting us know of the delay you encountered. I will certainly discuss this with my Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle-under-Lyme hotels

Howwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed Fri 25th July for one night before going to Alton Towers (4 adults and 2 children). Very easy to find as just off J15 of M6. Had a pretty good stay with lots of positives but a few negatives too. Positives are -
1. Received a very friendly welcome at reception and two kids offered lemonade or an ice lolly, nice touch.
2. As travelling from Glasgow area phoned ahead to book table in restaurant for 9.30. Person who took the booking very pleasant. Arrived earlier than expected so asked if could move our table booking to 9, reception checked and phoned room to say booking had been changed.
3. Room was ok, clean and enough room even with sofa pulled out.
4. Dinner very nice and girl who served us was very pleasant and friendly. Mix up with drinks order, asked for ginger beer but given ginger ale, changed immediately with no fuss.
5. Good choice at breakfast and food enjoyable, particularly taken with the pancake maker.
Now the negatives -
1. Bathroom clean but very cramped, so tight that toilet flush had gouged a groove in the tiles next to it.
2. Drinks at bar expensive and bar staff not particularly friendly, might have been the end of a hot and sticky shift but not the point.
3. Told when we arrived at restaurant table not ready as had a couple of large parties in. After 20 min wait we had to ask about the table and then we were let in.
3. Pillows very uncomfortable and even with air conditioning on a very stuffy room.
4. As it was a Sat breakfast was at 7.30 which did not give us enough time to get to Alton Towers and use the extra hour we had on our early ride tickets as it's a 40min drive. Would be better to start at 7.

All in all a decent place to stay for a stop over. Don't know what it'd be like for more than one night. Didn't have time to use pool so can't comment.
Got our rooms as part of a deal for Alton Towers so cheap, not sure how I would feel if paid full price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback; I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review highlighting not only the bad but the good.

I am pleased that you found the reception staff to be warm and friendly and our beds comfortable. We do try and do something different for children when they are checking in and Chef will appreciate your comments.

I am disappointed that you found the bar staff not to be particularly friendly as we strive to put the guests at the heart of everything we do. I will share your comments with my Food & Beverage Manager.

We have recently replaced all our pillows and I am therefore disheartened that you found the pillows to be uncomfortable. We do have a selection of alternative pillows and for future reference if you ask at reception we would be happy to provide these for you.

I note your comments regarding the breakfast timings at weekend and I will certainly discuss this with my team.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
Queanbeyan, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

After a busy day visiting various potteries in and around Stoke on Trent it was very easy to find the hotel and we were made vey welcome from the moment we arrived at reception. It was a hot day and the air conditioned hotel was very welcoming. The room was bright, clean, inviting and comfortable.
Good value for money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review, as you say we are very conveniently located, just off the motorway, for the Potteries, Trentham Gardens and Alton Towers.

I am delighted that the team gave you a great welcome to the hotel and that you found the hotel to be value for money.

Hope to see you soon when you are next in the Stoke area.
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

I remember when Holiday Inns were a leading chain, very smart and known for their wonderful breakfast buffets which were large and attractive. This hotel is a bit tired, but that would have been okay. However the buffet was nowhere near as nice as they used to be, and we were kept waiting to be seated. The worst thing was the thin plastic, very crinkly, noisy and hot mattress cover under the sheets. Dreadful. If you moved an inch the noise woke you, even if you stayed still you boiled. Most hotels, even cheap ones, use ordinary mattress protectors.

Room Tip: ask for a bed without a plastic mattress protector!