“Great food and service”

The Arch Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: The first Chinese Restaurant in Newcastle-under-lyme. Established in 1985. Over 25 years of experiences in Chinese/Cantonese cuisines.
London, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We as a family have eaten at The Arch several times and although the place is a bit dated the food and service is very good

In our party there were several generations from great grandparents-to grand children
The staff were very attentive and although the restaurant was busy couldn't do enough to make our visit one to remember

The menu is extensive as with most restaurants of this style but the quality of the food and ingredients is where this restaurant stands out

Would recommend for a great family night out

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“First time at The Arch, very good!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have known of The Arch and it's history most of my life but never dined here until now. I dined here with a friend on a quiet evening. We were able to park right outside the door which was a bonus too. We were shown to a table nearer the back of the restaurant and given menus quite promptly. The restaurant itself is a little dated in decor, but the mirrored backwall gives a great impression of the restaurant being larger than it is. My friend and I were really hungry so we knew instantly that we were going to eat from a set menu rather than choosing a la carte. We opted for set menu A which at £17.95 was very reasonable. It consisted of a house mixed starter (prawn crackers, wontons, seaweed, spring rolls and chicken skewer), followed by crispy aromatic duck and pancakes, followed by three main courses with egg fried rice and finished with Chinese tea. The service throughout was very friendly, the restaurant had a few diners in, but not overly busy at all, which led to great customer service as they were not stretched. All the food that we ate was really good. My only tiny criticism would be that the house starter items were quite oily. I have had those items elsewhere and they have been dryer and crispy, but here there was quite a lot of oil in the filo so they were greasy to eat. The duck pancakes were my favourite course, plenty of it and very tasty. We were getting quite full when the mains came out but we did well. We could have done with a little longer between the duck course and the mains, as no sooner was the duck cleared that our mains came out, so slightly rushed. All courses were very generous however, so you do get value for money. Nearer the end of our meal we had to ask for our Chinese tea followed by the bill. The bill came to £49 which was reasonable for 2 on a set menu and four drinks. To summarise it was a lovely meal in pleasant surroundings. Could do with playing some background music, as on a quite night like ours it would have added to the atmosphere. Would dine here again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Mim186378
Staffordshire
“Food Hygiene Issues”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Ate here a while ago and didn't enjoy the food. Don't think I will go back since the local newspaper published the hygiene inspection score - it was 1!

Visited April 2014
4 Thank MinstrelBoy
“Still the best”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

After eating at this restaurant for many years, the food is still brilliant,and the best!

I always choose a banquet, as I like all different types of Chinese food, and a little bit greedy when it comes to Chinese food!

• Visited June 2014
“Food was great”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

The food tasted amazing, it just felt as though they were trying to get us in and out as quick as possible. I didnt feel welcome, there was very few people there and a lot of staff so they were constantly watching us. However, the food was fantastic and I thought that the price was reasonable for what we got.