“great cake!”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Had very good coffe and home-made carrot cake, which was served with low-fat yoghourt - just what was needed after the excesses of Christmas! Looking at the meals being served to other customers, we would certainly go back and try them again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had already had a delicious lunch with my teenage daughter at Filmore and Union York, after being recommended it a by a friend. When I heared they had opened in Wetherby, I was delighted as i live a few minutes away, and can have a break there with my dog,which they welcome as they have plenty of seating outside.I have tried a few different dishes now and all were excellent, love the smoothies. Healthy food,very good and friendly service.I am going for lunch tomorrow.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The previous owners had a very loyal following and finding a seat for morning coffee on a Thursday was usually a problem. I am not sure what that this concept is really trying to say. It is just an upmarket cafe , nothing very healthy or special that i can see. Coffee is not very good, Cakes are OK, they should be for the price, but I am not keen that they are placed on an open display for everyone to cough over! The big problem with the room is that it is too cramped, tables are very close and the coffee machine is very noisy in the back seating area. The fact that the bog standard Costa just down the road always seems to be packed says what the locals prefer for their drink stop.
My advice, remove some tables and the coffee machine and go for the lunch and dinner market with a proper restaurant and define your food concept more clearly.

3  Thank Regdor
477Wil, Guest Relations Manager at Filmore & Union, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Hi Thank you for visiting us in wetherby and its always helpful to receive a review especially from previous customers of the cafe before , I would just like to confirm that the coffee machine and the same amount of tables were there in the same place with the previous owners and possibly as we now offer a more substantial lunch menu we are perceived as a lunchtime destination as well as breakfast therefore spreading the customer interest throughout the day , maybe thats why you could manage to get a table which most of our regular customers are delighted about .Our overall menu is given a healthy edge as well as our cakes which also appeal to lots of our customers with intolerances as we make a large amount of wheat and gluten free produce therefore we are really not looking to compete with large corperate coffee companies as we are very specialised ,

Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Popped in to F&U mid afternoon on Sat for a spot of lunch before venturing off northwards. Having walked past F&U a few times we thought it looked good and would try it out....

The Good
Good concept of healthier eating but still delivering tasty attractive food.
Array of cakes looked fabulous (though I didn't try any - maybe next time).
Great atmosphere inside, liked the surroundings and even rugs on some of the chairs if you felt cold.
Initial service was attentive and efficient.
Food was mostly excellent - my Yorkshire ham sandwich had beautiful ham, delicious carrot bread and a serving of tasty chutney. Proved to be plenty to fill you for a lunch.
Menu seemed good with plenty of interesting options.

The "could have been better"
A number of menu items were unavailable (neither of us could have out first choice) but nothing was said when the menus were presented (and in my case when I ordered).
Was given a dirty cup (immediately changed without complaint when I asked but the replacement was chipped) for the first time in a restaurant this year. Teapot was also chopped but that was minor.
Wedges were very greasy - at odds with the healthily balanced claims for the menu.

I really want F&U to be brilliant as I love the idea, so I will be trying it again - it could just have been an off day. It's certainly not bad, and I suppose you could say it is more 3.5 than 3 but not a 4 - YET!

1  Thank Individual_11

Hi Thankyou for your review i think it was a very fair one , I am pleased you enjoyed the food and ambience and I hope you will try us again for lunch , we are also opening for dinner Tuesday-Saturdays from the beginning of Feb so hopefully you'll also get chance to visit us then . I must apologise for the crockery as maintaining high standards is paramount to us and is something we have addressed with the site . We did inherit all the crockery from the previous owner and were in the process of changing it but with christmas happening so quickly after we opened i think some things slipped through the system but I can assure you has since been addressed with our new highly experienced manager on board leading the way ! Thank you and please come to see us again .

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Sadly disappointed luke warm hot chocolate and bland soup. Unattentive staff and difficult to get attention . Extremely expensive for what you get.

3  Thank FLI673