“a very enjoyable long weekend in a friendly hotel.”
Review of Mercure Wetherby

Mercure Wetherby
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Wetherby
“a very enjoyable long weekend in a friendly hotel.”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed in the Mercure Wetherby Hotel last weekend, initially just as somewhere to stay and be close at hand whilst our daughter and her boyfriend attended the Leeds music festival. However, we quickly realised that this hotel was extremely friendly and accommodating. Although they camped at the festival site we were allowed to let our daughter and her boyfriend use the room and shower in the mornings and were even provided with extra towels. Breakfast was also provided for them at a minimal cost. The staff were the most friendly and helpful and although the hotel was probable just about due for some redecoration it was adequate and very clean. Our room, which was one of the Studio rooms was far better equipped and larger than four star hotels we have stayed at in London. It is in a great location for exploring east coast and the Yorkshire dales and moors. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel and should our daughter be attending next year's festival, will definitely be booking in again.
Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: we would recommend a studio room, but we don't know what the standard rooms are like.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. I was delighted to see that your stay was such an enjoyable one and I have passed your comments onto the whole team. I do hope you get the opportunity to visit us again in the near future.
Mark Hoyland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
EDINBURGH
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights when I was on business in Tadcaster. The hotel itself is ok, didn't wow me, I had a studio room which was very spacious with a big toilet / shower room and cloakroom area. The bathroom was adequate could probably do with a good clean to get off all the mould which was quite bad around the shower, on the handles and door. Maybe steam clean the lot would make a big difference. I had a room facing the road and it was very hot so I had the windows open, was not bothered at all with any noise from the road. Didn't have breakfast I leave for work too early, although they did try to charge me for it which I was a little disappointed about. Hotel bar ok maybe a little rough round the edges and dated. Its a weird layout for a hotel, thats why I have put Crossroads Motel, but if your looking for somewhere for a couple of night, why not. The beds are comfy and its very near Wetherby which is just a fantastic little market town, really like it.

Room Tip: Ask for a studio
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MACDONALDS07
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write your review. I have passed on your comments to the head housekeeper to make sure we are adhering to our strict housekeeping procedures. I do hope you will take the opportunity to visit us again soon and thank you once again for your review.
Haverhill, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Booked not knowing that the Leeds festival was on this weekend, it would have been nice to be warned of the is at the booking. On arrival the hotel looked dated and the car park had the biggest puddle i had seen. The room we where given faced the main room in the direction of the festival, so all night we got the music loud and clear. With regards to the bathroom the shower had a mould farm growing in it, on reporting it i told they had re grouted recently. The sink had hairs in it. The light above the mirror in the main room was held in place by the wires, and the handle to adjust it had been replaced by a nut and bolt.

Even though it wast extremely hot weekend, the room temperature was hot and no air con available, open the window and you traffic noise and and concert noise.For a 3 star hotel it a very poor 3 star, more 2 star.

Breakfast in the morning was good if you want a full english, anything looked like it was an after thought.

Staff where friendly and welcoming

Room Tip: Dont stay here during the Leeds festival.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for review. I do believe that we were in touch with you already, but if you would like to discuss in more detail please feel free to contact me @op.mercurewetherby@jupiterhotels.co.uk and thank you once again for your constructive comments.
Mark Hoyland

Travelers are raving about these Wetherby hotels

Aldershot, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Firstly, the hotel was in a great location for me with great access to Leeds and the A1. It was simple to find and had plenty of parking spaces which were available for free.

The decor in the hotel was a little tired, and it lacked some of the things I would expect to be a minimum in a chain hotel. For example, a shelf in the shower to put shower gel/shampoo, rather than keeping it in the shower pan. Some of the lights didn't seem to work and it could do with a bit of a tidy up.

The staff were excellent. Very friendly, cheerful and did whatever they could to help. From reception to room service to the breakfast room I couldn't fault the service I received.

Breakfast was good, but I'm not sure was worth the £15 it cost (might be cheaper to buy it direct rather than at the time of booking the room?).

For a business trip it was ideal. Not sure I'd want to stay for more than a couple of nights though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin D
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Wetherby Hotel. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable visit. All your comments will be shared with the team. Our breakfast is £13.95 and £10 at the time of booking and during the check in. I am very pleased that you found our staff very friendly and I hope that your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here on several occasions as it is conveniently placed for a regular visit we make in Yorkshire. Sadly, it is difficult to be enthusiastic about the hotel despite the very friendly and helpful staff.
The Wetherby Mercure scores highly for ease of access, being only a short distance from the A1M and 5 minutes walk from the town centre. But that is probably its greatest virtue. Despite being on the edge of the town this accessibility has a down-side as the views from the front of the hotel including the restaurant and lounge/bar are dominated by the ever busy road system. The outlook on other sides is little better, consisting of car parks or unmanaged open ground.
The hotel itself is clean and tidy but with fittings that look a bit tired and which produce no ambience or atmosphere at all. On our most recent visit our studio room was of good proportions and comfortable although the lack of net curtains or blinds in a ground floor location overlooked by an entire wing of the hotel did not engender a sense of privacy during daylight hours. The bathroom had only a quite dated shower and no bath but was bigger than some we have experienced. The free basic wi-fi internet access is a welcome recent introduction.
The dining experience is unexciting. Arriving fairly late we tried the three course dinner menu rather than the more Bistro style a la carte. The meal was adequate but was closer to 'boil in the bag' cooking than fine dining; e.g. for starters we chose mushroom soup and smoked salmon with lemon mayonnaise which were fine but hardly a difficult culinary test. The mains and desserts were similarly run of the mill. This was filling up rather than a dining experience you would look forward to repeating. I feel even less enthusiastic about the breakfasts. The fruit choice on the first two mornings was limited to two types of melon; large chunks of pineapple and unsoaked dried prunes (a real chewing challenge these!). Only on our last morning was there any grapefruit. The cooked breakfast was similarly flawed. The choice was adequate if unexciting but, as with the prunes, I wonder whether the kitchen staff had much idea about handling quite reasonable ingredients. The bacon was cooked with the rashers folded over with the result that the fat inside the folded parcel was not fully cooked and very unpleasant. On two morning the only bread on offer was standard sliced 'cotton wool' yet on the third morning there were some superb warm olive rolls. Did we book for the wrong days? My wife, who does not partake of a cooked breakfast was limited to a choice of toast and bite size Danish pastries.

I cannot finish without warning of the bar prices. I was last charged at these rates at a hotel in Central London where the surroundings and service eased the pain. Suffice to say the pub five minutes away in Wetherby charged half the price and we could even feel virtuous about the exercise in walking there and back.

In conclusion I would say that a stay here would fill the bill for a bed, food and drink but would not provide an experience you would rush to enthuse about. All of this reflects the needs of business users who seem to make up a fair proportion of the guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dinos43
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on trip advisor. I apologise that we did not exceed your expectations on this occasion. I have noted your constructive comments as your feedback is very important to us to achieve and maintain the high standards we aspire too. I have passed all your comments to the relative departments to ensure that we make improvements where necessary. Thank you once again for your review.

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Location here is great for getting around Yorkshire, and easy to find. The standard rooms are somewhat basic for this hotel group, but are adequate for a short stay with plenty of parking. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank DaveF1704
mark h, General Manager at Mercure Wetherby, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable visit and I hope that we can welcome you back in our hotel soon.
Mark Hoyland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wetherby
Days Inn Wetherby
The Bridge Hotel and Spa
Wood Hall Hotel & Spa
Wood Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Collingham

Been to Mercure Wetherby? Share your experiences!