“Loved the lobster!”

Fish House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: New Restaurant in Boston Spa, opened 31st July. I would like to write a review.
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We attended Lobster Night with some friends and had a fantastic time. The lobster was delicious and brilliant value, the wine was gorgeous and the atmosphere bustling. Our only complaint was the temperature of the restaurant, it was boiling! Will be going back soon though.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have never sent a meal back in a restaurant before. I usually grin and bear it, pay, then never return. However, last night I had to send my main back twice. It was supposed to be seabass with crabmeat and lemonhrass risotto. The rice wasn't even risotto rice - think it was basmati - however the main problem was that it was almost raw. Apparently if you feed a pigeon raw rice it's stomach will explode. I didn't want to test if this would happen with a human so I sent it back. It was redone and the rice was still raw - the waitress told me she had been told to say that the chewy bits were the lemongrass. Yes, I am aware that lemongrass is chewy, as is raw rice - thanks for the tip! I said I'd just take it with potatoes and that is what I got - a tiny (2 1/2 fisfingers worth) of seabass and some boiled new potatoes. This feast cost me £16. I also got a side dish of 3 asparagus spears which cost £2.50.
Was meant to be a special night and as I've said we're not natural complainers - we found the whole thing very embarrassing. However I think with this restaurant we found our tolerance limit! Try the chipper next door - the fish is beautiful there.

3  Thank Scos8791
Reviewed August 31, 2012

had to wait quite a while to get served and the food had dropped in standard since i was there a few months ago

2  Thank grannyannieLeeds
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We visited the Fish House on a Friday night . It was our second visit and we will return again. There is an excellent a la carte and fixed price menu. At £12.95 for 2 courses ( starter and main) the fixed price menu is hard to beat and there are 6-7 choices per course for starters and mains. The dessert menu was more limited but again is excellent value and you can add a pud to the fixed price option for £2.50. The ginger and honey cheesecake with ice cream was lovely.
The restaurant is made up of a number of small rooms which makes it very intimate and great if you want to chat and enjoy each other's company rather than people watch.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Service was perhaps a little on the slow side but we were happy to sit and talk and it made for a lovely relaxed and unhurried evening.

1  Thank zebra60
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I approached my evening(28.7.12) at The Fish House, Boston Spa with heightened expectations having had it recommended to me by a friend and also after reading some of the comments in Trip Advisor and on other websites. I had telephoned earlier in the day to book a table for two and had been offered either a 6pm or 9pm reservation and had opted for the latter.

On arriving at the restaurant into the bar area we were contemplating an aperitif but were shown to our table without being afforded the opportunity. Although the restaurant was not full we were placed on a tiny table which, during the course of the meal, proved difficult to manage plates, glasses etc. I presumed that other larger vacant tables were booked for larger parties and that we were lucky to have been accommodated but this turned out not to be the case.

I noticed as I sat down that the otherwise white tablecloth had a small but very noticeable stain right in front of me but, in anticipation of a culinary treat, I put this out of my mind and we set about making our choices from the menu. I chose to start with the smoked haddock arisini with salad while my partner settled on the fish soup. We ordered the Fish House fish pie (with sugar snap peas) and the haddock with asparagus respectively to follow as main courses.

When offered the wine list we chose a french chardonnay from a range of about a dozen white wines and a similar number of reds plus rose and sparkling alternatives. At this point we were still on a high of expectation however this was not to last.

First disappointment was that the wine we had chosen was not in stock however the alternative house recommended 'new discovery', a white wine from the Languedoc, was available and turned out to be very palatable – things were back on course!

My partners fish soup turned out to be the dish of the evening, a very tasty and sizeable portion of soup filled with fish and mussels. For my part I was extremely disappointed to find I had three very small spherical fish cakes, with little fish in them accompanied by a tired portion of salad at the ridiculous price of £7.50 – the same price as my partners fish soup which was almost a meal in itself.

Never mind I thought – the fish pie (at £14.00) is bound to be a stunner – it wasn't – it was small and thinly covered in a mashed potato which had combined with the cheese garnish to make a thick skin. The skin covered what appeared to be a thickened version of the fish soup without the mussel shells. Also it arrived with broccoli in place of the sugar snap peas – I dislike broccoli intensely and would not have chosen this dish had broccoli been stated on the menu or if I had been informed by the waitress when I made my choice, but I was not told about the substitution and no explanation was offered at the time of service.

Again my partner fared better, her haddock and asparagus was well cooked and tasty and arrived as described which was more than I could say for my choice.

We were offered the dessert menu, a tempting choice of about eight desserts including cheese and biscuits. I opted for the chocolate and rosemary tart while my partner selected the caramelised banana with toffee ice cream.

While we were waiting I became aware of a conversation between the waitress and another customer who was trying to pay his bill with a credit card. The card was not being accepted and the customer was clearly embarrassed by the refusal of the card equipment to take his payment. Normally I would have wondered whether or not the customers card was valid however I remembered a conversation with another friend some twelve months previously when he was recounting his experience of the Fish House. He described having visited the establishment on two occasions, enjoyed the food but, on both occasions his credit card had been rejected by the house card machine causing him not inconsiderable embarrassment.

After some time dealing with this customer the waitress returned to say that the kitchen were having some difficulty caramelising the banana (?) and could my partner chose an alternative? My partner opted for the toffee ice cream on its own only to be told two minutes later that there was no toffee ice cream available.

We shared the chocolate and rosemary tart which was delicious and called for the bill – I had previously noted the '10% gratuity optional' clause on the bottom of all the menus.

The bill arrived and I was amazed to find that there was a £4.85 service charge for each of us already on the bill however the bottle of wine had been omitted from the bill. I drew the waitress's attention to the fact and the bill was amended appropriately - a total of over £75 for a very mediocre eating experience.

Fortunately something worked – the card machine accepted my card without a problem!

NOTE - Before posting this review I sent a copy to the proprietor to give him/her the opportunity to rebut my criticisms. I did not get the courtesy of a reply which says it all!

6  Thank Mike S