“Great little find”

The Rock
Ranked #152 of 292 Restaurants in Weymouth
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Rock Bar & Restaurant, Weymouth's best local! With fantastic food, a great atmosphere, top quality entertainment, contemporary design, an outside terrace for live football viewing - make The Rock your new local."We serve top quality food using locally sourced ingredients wherever possible. Here at The Rock we have a fine selection of wines, beers and ales all at reasonable prices. We serve food all day, every day! Travelling to us is only a 5 minutes walk from the town centre, we are also on a good bus route, "Bus to the Rock from Weymouth town centre, Jump on bus number 8 from Weymouth Debenhams(every 15 mins from 11:50am)then(every hour from 6:40pm) last bus to the Rock is at 10:40pm, Bus to the Rock from East Street Chickerell, Jump on bus number 8 from East Street(every 15 mins from 12:06pm)then(every hour from 7:56pm) last bus to the Rock is at 10:56pm
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We visited this pub for dinner whilst on holiday, purely based on the TripAdvisor recommendations, and am pleased to say that I enjoyed it as much as others seem to have. The pub is off the beaten track for tourists, and we relied on very good directions from a bookshop in town, who described it as having in recent years having "really turned itself around".

The staff were welcoming and friendly (although personally i have a problem with being called "darling" by a woman I've never met before). Food was to a good standard and was reasonably priced. A few items on the menu were "sold out", but we were offered alternatives and it didn't spoil the evening one bit.

If we're back in Weymouth again, I'd certainly stop by!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We recently celebrated our evening wedding reception at The Rock and i've got to say both Ian and all his staff were so accommodating and really got involved in every aspect of the evening. Ian even took it on himself to take some amazing photographs which we will save forever... They even dressed up to mark the occasion in true spirit of the day...

The atmosphere was amazing and to my knowledge all our guests had a fantastic time. The food was brilliant and baring in mind it was a full house all the staff remained smiling and incredibly helpful until the end.

I would not hesitate to hold a party here again, The Rock are reasonably priced and i think you would struggle to be treated so well anywhere else in town.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was our first visit to The Rock and we only popped in for one drink on our way into town. However, we decided to stay as it was a pleasant atmosphere and the staff were very friendly and helpful. My partner had the Rocket Burger! What a whoppa! I wished I'd had my camera. He thoroughly enjoyed it and I enjoyed my normal size chicken burger. I have noticed in a previous review someone criticised the 'jenga' style stacking of the chips. I personally thought it was a very nice, different style of presentation, the main thing is the chips were tasty, hot and crispy - lovely. The entertainment was great too! Not too loud that we couldn't hear each other speak but a lovely singer. The atmosphere just got better during the evening with other customers singing along and everyone enjoying themselves. We will be making a lot more visits to The Rock in future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I recently attended a Wedding reception here.
The food was great and tasty!!
The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful.
I needed my phone charging after all the pictures I took at the Wedding and asked Sue if she could charge my phone.
She was really helpful and lovely!!
Thanks for a great night, being local we will return for dinner.
:-)

1  Thank Gingerfish46
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Visited the rock for for food after work one day, never again.
They had a deal on Mondays 50% off of food. So we opted for the burgers, we ordered starters we waiting 40 minutes for our starters to arrive, when they did they were wrong. This could be forgiven if they were busy but considering we were the only ones in there it's hard to do that. After the starters were finished are plates were cleared and we waited another 40 minutes for main, the main arrived and it only got worse, I ordered an Angus burger which was raw and mushy in the middle, when te waitress came over to ask abou the food I mentioned this to her and she simply replied " what do you expect it's supposed to be like that" I said I appreciate that you may think that's the case but some people don't like eating raw burgers. She simply said ok and walked away. My partner has a chicken burger which he said was all slimey and tasted like it had been cooked in the old burger fat, when he mentioned this the waitress apologised and took the meal away, my partner didn't want it replaced due to the time we had waited already. So the waitress said she would take it of the bill. After about 5 minutes the chef stormed over to our table and started grilling my boyfriend about his comments for the food and arguing with him about it. He then went back to the kitchen clearly not able to take any form of feedback. We asked for the bill and they hadn't removed the chicken burger off of it, when we asked the waitress again about her previous promise she said woul you like me to take it off, which I thought would be good considering it hadn't been eaten. Overall bad service, bad food, nice looking clean pub and I her there quiz is good but other than that I wouldn't recommend anyone eat there. But then it could of been an off day when we visited..

1  Thank Mary C
Ian M, Manager at The Rock, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thanks for taking the time out to leave feedback from your visit on the 24th June (11 weeks ago). Perhaps, due to the time since your visit, explains the lack of accuracy with the account of your evening with us. Any issues at our pub are thoroughly investigated, recorded, CCTV footage retained and any lessons learned are implemented and we can honestly say there are very few issues ever.
Yes the chicken burger was claimed to be slimy, which the chef apologised for and explained that the combination of cheese and mayo on the burger may have lead you to believe the burger was at fault. Both the proprietor and the manager checked the burger for quality and found nothing wrong with the chicken burger itself.
You were not the only diners in the restaurant that Monday evening it was in fact a fairly busy service. A maximum 30 minute delay was recorded that evening and only your starters were delayed by 30 mins from the time the order was completed on the EPOS system.
You were served and table checked by a waiter not a waitress.
The chef did not react in the manner you describe, he is very customer focused and was only showing a keen interest in your experience.
None of our team would ever have said that is how it is, we acknowledge all food is cooked to a personal preference not to a generic standard and we are more than willing to accommodate any customers request.
Staff are unable to remove items from customer's bills, only a manager or the proprietor can do this and in this instance the proprietor removed the burger from your bill when requested.
Due to the issue highlighted by this customer back in June we no longer put mayo and cheese together when a customer selects these items from our 'Create Your Own Burger' menu, however, this customer did not complain about the Aberdeen Angus burger at the time consumed the whole of their meal.