“Surprise meeting”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Decided to give Vaghan's a try, mussels were excellent followed by a beautifully cooked steak, everyone had a great meal only comment is could have done with a few more chips on the plate rather than them be laid out in jenga style.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

lovely evening - friendly staff -- great food - reasonable wine list -- disappointed our crepes suzette weren't prepared with some theatre table-side and were a bit thick, but the sauce was delicious.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We visited Vaughan's last Friday as a last night treat after spending a 1 week break in Weymouth where we had visited several restaurants. This restaurant unfortunately we wish we hadn't bothered. We chose Vaughan's because had good kerb appeal. nice decor, busy ( generally a good sign) and nice location. We went inside and we stood waiting while there were 2 waitresses at bar didn't acknowledge us which wasn't a good start. When eventually taken to a table the waitress offered to take our coats which was good. We ordered 2 sirloin steaks and a bottle of wine plus 1 side order. The steak was ok but the chunky chips were under cooked. Of all the restaurants we had visited that week this was the only restaurant where we were not asked if our meals were ok the management should take note of this. When the waitress came over she asked "are you finished" we explained that the chips were inedible and my husband demonstrated how he couldn't break the raw chip into two. The waitress acknowledged this and said she would have a word with the chef. After many minutes she returned with no response from the kitchen and just asked if we wanted a dessert we declined and asked for the bill. The bill arrived on the table the waitress didn't say anything but we did notice the bill had been reduced by £7 which was the bare minimum we would have expected. We have rated this as terrible because customer service is lacking for an establishment that charges above average prices with nothing to justify this as we had experienced better wine, better food, better service and better value at the other establishments over the week. To be constructive a focus on customer service would be a good start because if things do go wrong this really does show how good customer service is embedded in an organisation. At present this is lacking,

9  Thank Kath_Dave
ritaroos, Owner at Vaughan's, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

You entered the restaurant at 7.53.49, one waitress was stood at the bar doing a bill for a customer and the other waitress was going through some prices with her, at 7.53.58 the waitress acknowledges you and takes you to your table, that is a grand total of 9 seconds that's not really what I would class as ignoring you. When your main course plates were cleared you brought it to my attention that the chips were inedible, I apologised and said I would pass your comments on to the kitchen, at 8.48.01 I entered the kitchen tried the chips myself and yes they were hard, just about cooked but could have been better, at 8.50.10 I returned from the kitchen having got one of the chefs to try them as well, that's just 2 minutes not many is it, I again apologised that they were not great and asked if you wanted desserts and you just asked for the bill. As the steaks come with chips and not as an extra side, when I gave you the bill I explained that I had taken off the cost of 2 sides i.e. £3.50 x 2 = £7.00, which was actually a lot more than 10% of the total cost of your bill. We don't get it right all the time and yes on this occasion the chips were not great but I am really sorry that taking off what equates to 15% of your total bill just wasn't good enough for you.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I only ordered a starter and some onion rings. After waiting for an hour for the food I had to send the pasta starter back as it was like cutting into cardboard. It was in a sage butter, sage and butter had both been burnt. Sent it back and said I would just eat the onion rings. It was more of an onion ball as they were not cooked enough, all stuck together and just sat in a pool of oil. Complained about the pasta but waitress not too bothered just knocked it off the bill. Husband ordered a T-Bone steak Rare - it came medium but we had waited so long he could not be bothered sending it back. He said the mash tasted funny but eat it anyway....surprise surprise he has been running to the toilet all day today. So be warned.

4  Thank Manni48
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Cold January night and only 5 dining but the mixed fish grill contained the best turbot and Mackerel I have ever eaten...and I've eaten at a few places! Two complaints:- 1) the music, which, when busy cannot be heard, but when empty can be deafening 2) We were not guided to the fish of the day board until we asked if there was such a thing. Had we not asked, we would have missed out. Understandable when busy, but at the time, there were 2 in...and we were the two.