“Inept service”

Fish 'n' Fritz
Ranked #7 of 295 Restaurants in Weymouth
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Once discovered you will be guaranteed a warm welcome and fantastic fish & chips at our nationally recognised Fish 'n' Fritz takeaway and 48 seater restaurant just set back from the picturesque 17th Century Weymouth Harbour. Famous for using the finest and freshest ingredients together with our secret batter formula, ensures that we consistently produce mouth watering meals for you throughout the year.
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Visited on a Saturday with my kids, and at 2pm it was practically deserted. Ordered an adult meal and asked for a child's portion of chips. Was told there were no child portions but I could order an adult portion for £3.50. OK, I'll have that. Waitress then said that a free 'top-up' portion of chips is available to those ordering an adult meal. "Fine, I'll have that, then", I responded.

"No", she said. "You have to eat at least half of yours first". I protested that I have two hungry kids in front of me, so given the circs., maybe she could 'advance' me the free portion. She said she couldn't, and if I wanted the chips now, I could have the £3.50 portion. Not wanting to prolong this surreal conversation any longer, I declined and gave my kids my chips.

This was beyond Fawlty-esque. It was weird and combative. The place was empty, and yet this inept and charmless waitress had no interest in seeing to it that we were looked after.

In the meantime, the fish was actually very good, but so is it in a great many other places, and I'll not be setting foot in this place again.

1  Thank Tom_Cobbley

Reviewed October 20, 2012

If you want a quick meal of fish and chips but want to sit down in a restaurant style to enjoy it this is the place to go in Weymouth. Excellent quality food and very generous portions; pleasant, friendly and helpful staff. Well done

2  Thank fatbird78
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My family and I visit this fish shop as often as the diet will allow. Very nice resturant, good service, good variety of fish and good sized portions, finished off with the traditional bread and butter and a "Wally".

1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed September 18, 2012

After reading the reveiws on the net, we decided to try fish n fritz for a change from our regular fish n chip restaurant in weymouth. What a mistake!! so disappointed, the meal was cooked in old fat and we could taste, and smell the grease, the fish was o.k...the batter was awful, so greasy, also the chips have got to be the worsed we have been served in many years, small, soft and soaked in old oil ! most distatesful, however the curry sauce was nice, so was the tea which was apprieciated to take the greasy taste away. The bill came to £20.20...I refused to pay for the plateful of nasty chips that we left.On the way home I had to stop off at morrisons for a packet of rennies for the heartburn I was suffering for most of the night. What a waste of money!!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We arrived on a Wednesday evening at 7pm, there was a couple of people waiting for takeaway, and only a few tables filled in the restaurant. A waitress took our order and brought drinks quite quickly, but after that we waited... and waited... and waited. No-one came to re-assure us, or inform us of a delay. When we asked, we were told our food was just being plated up - and then we waited another 10 minutes. I then asked a man in the takeaway section, and he told me the same thing - with no smile, he was almost rude in his manner.
Our food eventually arrived after more than 30 minutes - while takeaway customers had been served and fish was ready in the counter.
What does it take for a smile and bit of courtesy? We wouldn't have left feeling dissatisfied if the staff had treated us better. The food was pretty good - not the best or worst I've tasted, but I would not recommend or return because of the terrible customer service.