“Still like Pontins!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
“Still like Pontins!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and was impressed with the re-furb. Reception was slow and whilst checking in perused the menu. We were then told we could not ask for food as the hotel was full and they were too busy! Rooms contemporary and comfortably furnished. Unfortunately we were placed in the middle of a row of rooms with a women's welsh rugby team who were keen to run between the rooms with various drinks. Shower water was freezing cold looked to contact reception, no phones in rooms! Rang the outside line several times and eventually a porter advised us that the boiler had gone out. Decided to go for a drink at the bar had to wait 75mins for a glass of wine because they had wedding parties and a fancy dress party and needed to re-stock. The noise continued outside all night at least until 5.30am. Unfortunately for the hotel it suffered a water leak in the morning! Consequently two days with no shower! Although I expect the hotel would like to lose the Pontins reputation it will need to work a lot harder as you could get a better service elsewhere for the money.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank T66ajs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I thought the actual place is so lovely! Well the reception is very nice. The dining room was lovely also but after a water pipe burst over the road, our carvery was cancelled. We arrived at 12:30 ready to eat and were very rudely turned away by the male receptionist who at first didn't even bother to tell us what had actually happened. He just turned us away. Feeling annoyed about this, we tried to check in but had to wait in a very long queue due to snail like staff! And then we had to wait for 45 minutes before just one room was ready. It ended up being about an hour. 20 minutes after we checked in we got the key to our second room which didn't work and we had to go back to reception twice to get different cards! Its such a shame as the actual hotel is so lovely but the staff were unhelpful and occasionally rude. Saying this, the room was clean and the reception and dining room was lovely also. But that's about it.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Laura070809

Travelers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night. It is certainly not the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Reception was slow; an hour to check in. Key cards not re-set, not just ours. A couple were booked in but they had to wait even longer because the reception staff could not find the key/card. Not enough staff on duty at reception or at breakfast. The overall service was generally very poor. No manager supervision and 'grip' as far as I could see. Can't recall the 'star' rating but having stayed in many hotels over many years, this hotel might just scrape a '3-star' rating, although I have stayed in excellent 3-star rated hotels and this does not compare in my opinion. Dinner was very good and most of the staff were polite and helpful. The image the hotel tries to portray was not matched with a slick, well-oiled service.

This is really a negative review. However, this hotel charged a lot of money for a one night stay and it seems to me that some hoteliers think they can charge high prices but offer mediocre to poor service, and get away with it.

Room Tip: Don't accept the first one you are given if you are not happy; ask to change immediately!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jim S
Yeovil, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you prefer an hotel that is run on slick precision impersonal lines and, basically perfection, then this hotel is definitely not for you. I have stayed in many of those, but as a personal preference they are not for me. I prefer a more relaxed approach; where I feel comfortable; somewhere where the staff are skilled enough to perform their roles with efficiency and confidence but at the same time still have time to hold a conversation with the guests, if so required. From this perspective, the Riviera Hotel is faultless. From the moment I entered the Reception area, and throughout the whole of my stay, I was treated with the utmost courtesy and respect from each and every member of staff. And friendliness was standard; from the receptionists, in the dining room and even from the cleaning staff who I met in the corridor. I stayed in the end room on the ground floor. It was spacious and modern and the bathroom was lovely. My only criticism, though, would be that the king size bed was too close to the cupboard that housed the fridge, as I sported a few grazes and bruises from the sharp corner of the bed until I got used to it..!! The bed itself, though, was very comfortable and the large flat screen TV very easy on the eye. The sea view from the room, though, was not the best. But standing outside the room at night, the views of the lights across the bay were spectacular! And it was so peaceful; which was what I really wanted from my stay. What can I say about the dining room..? The food was not the best, but the staff were lovely, obliging and worked hard with a very cheerful spirit. I cannot comment on the gym or swimming facilities, but for avid walkers, like myself, the location was perfect for walking along the beach and into Weymouth itself. Would I go there again..?? Not for a holiday, but most definitely if I needed a base for a business or social event in Weymouth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunseeker160
Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Had the opportunity to be at weymouth and portland's mayor reception event. Starter was very good but sadly it was downhill from there. Service of main course was so slow that table one guests had almost finished when the last table received their main courses. One big vegetable platter for the whole table was almost impossible to move around with all the glasses on the table.

For desert I opted for cheese and biscuits, perhaps I shouldn't complain but there was too much cheese. Most people on our table with cheese and biscuits got no where near completion of this course, what a waste of food.

Then it was time for coffee and tea. The first waitress brought tea and I asked for green tea. I received a fairly blank expression from the waitress and "no we don't do that". The guests next to me, mayor and mayoress of another town in Dorset requested decaf coffee and got the same response.

When the coffee waitress appeared I questioned this lack of alternative beverages in a hotel and conference centre and the waitress said she would talk other supervisor and we observed a conversation. The waitress returned and confirmed they couldn't do green tea but they old do decaf coffee BUT it would take at least 15minutes because they had to go downstairs to get it and some time later it arrived.

Sadly we wouldn't go back and as locals we won't be recommending to any of our visitors this summer looking for somewhere to stay or eat. Who knows what the visiting dignitaries thought - certainly not Weymouth and Portland at its best.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nicola B
cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights just got home we had lovely weather reception staff freindly and helpful breakfast was very nice pleasant waitress. Our room was small but modern with sea view we could see from bed great. Hotel very clean, pool nice size towels could be larger. On day 2 I hurt my back resulting in paramedics attending twice reception staff were great as was porter on duty couldn't have been more helpful . Would I recommend this hotel yes for cleanliness staff freindly and good breakfast I would give it 3 stars Please thank all your staff for their help.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brucewillisCardiff
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

A very disappointing experience all round. From lack of good service in the restaurant and bar to a noisy room and poor breakfast.We were told the restaurant was only open for one hour on a Friday evening due to a function upstairs. When we arrived at the restaurant at the allocated time we were told 'sorry the kitchen is backed up, the restaurant is closed'!!
Noisy room due a systemic problem eg fan or heating . Staff provided no solution so I slept in my friend's room. I was not offered a refund and staff did not seem particularly interested.
Spa area is out dated, poor facilities with only one shower working.
Breakfast was poor and my friend cleaned the table as there were no clean tables. Staff reported they were short staffed!
One good thing, our taxi driver gave us the name of a very good hotel near by for future visits.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends