“Disappointed”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night. It is certainly not the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Reception was slow; an hour to check in. Key cards not re-set, not just ours. A couple were booked in but they had to wait even longer because the reception staff could not find the key/card. Not enough staff on duty at reception or at breakfast. The overall service was generally very poor. No manager supervision and 'grip' as far as I could see. Can't recall the 'star' rating but having stayed in many hotels over many years, this hotel might just scrape a '3-star' rating, although I have stayed in excellent 3-star rated hotels and this does not compare in my opinion. Dinner was very good and most of the staff were polite and helpful. The image the hotel tries to portray was not matched with a slick, well-oiled service.

This is really a negative review. However, this hotel charged a lot of money for a one night stay and it seems to me that some hoteliers think they can charge high prices but offer mediocre to poor service, and get away with it.

Room Tip: Don't accept the first one you are given if you are not happy; ask to change immediately!
1  Thank Jim S

Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you prefer an hotel that is run on slick precision impersonal lines and, basically perfection, then this hotel is definitely not for you. I have stayed in many of those, but as a personal preference they are not for me. I prefer a more relaxed approach; where I feel comfortable; somewhere where the staff are skilled enough to perform their roles with efficiency and confidence but at the same time still have time to hold a conversation with the guests, if so required. From this perspective, the Riviera Hotel is faultless. From the moment I entered the Reception area, and throughout the whole of my stay, I was treated with the utmost courtesy and respect from each and every member of staff. And friendliness was standard; from the receptionists, in the dining room and even from the cleaning staff who I met in the corridor. I stayed in the end room on the ground floor. It was spacious and modern and the bathroom was lovely. My only criticism, though, would be that the king size bed was too close to the cupboard that housed the fridge, as I sported a few grazes and bruises from the sharp corner of the bed until I got used to it..!! The bed itself, though, was very comfortable and the large flat screen TV very easy on the eye. The sea view from the room, though, was not the best. But standing outside the room at night, the views of the lights across the bay were spectacular! And it was so peaceful; which was what I really wanted from my stay. What can I say about the dining room..? The food was not the best, but the staff were lovely, obliging and worked hard with a very cheerful spirit. I cannot comment on the gym or swimming facilities, but for avid walkers, like myself, the location was perfect for walking along the beach and into Weymouth itself. Would I go there again..?? Not for a holiday, but most definitely if I needed a base for a business or social event in Weymouth.

1  Thank sunseeker160
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Had the opportunity to be at weymouth and portland's mayor reception event. Starter was very good but sadly it was downhill from there. Service of main course was so slow that table one guests had almost finished when the last table received their main courses. One big vegetable platter for the whole table was almost impossible to move around with all the glasses on the table.

For desert I opted for cheese and biscuits, perhaps I shouldn't complain but there was too much cheese. Most people on our table with cheese and biscuits got no where near completion of this course, what a waste of food.

Then it was time for coffee and tea. The first waitress brought tea and I asked for green tea. I received a fairly blank expression from the waitress and "no we don't do that". The guests next to me, mayor and mayoress of another town in Dorset requested decaf coffee and got the same response.

When the coffee waitress appeared I questioned this lack of alternative beverages in a hotel and conference centre and the waitress said she would talk other supervisor and we observed a conversation. The waitress returned and confirmed they couldn't do green tea but they old do decaf coffee BUT it would take at least 15minutes because they had to go downstairs to get it and some time later it arrived.

Sadly we wouldn't go back and as locals we won't be recommending to any of our visitors this summer looking for somewhere to stay or eat. Who knows what the visiting dignitaries thought - certainly not Weymouth and Portland at its best.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights just got home we had lovely weather reception staff freindly and helpful breakfast was very nice pleasant waitress. Our room was small but modern with sea view we could see from bed great. Hotel very clean, pool nice size towels could be larger. On day 2 I hurt my back resulting in paramedics attending twice reception staff were great as was porter on duty couldn't have been more helpful . Would I recommend this hotel yes for cleanliness staff freindly and good breakfast I would give it 3 stars Please thank all your staff for their help.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brucewillisCardiff
Reviewed April 24, 2013

A very disappointing experience all round. From lack of good service in the restaurant and bar to a noisy room and poor breakfast.We were told the restaurant was only open for one hour on a Friday evening due to a function upstairs. When we arrived at the restaurant at the allocated time we were told 'sorry the kitchen is backed up, the restaurant is closed'!!
Noisy room due a systemic problem eg fan or heating . Staff provided no solution so I slept in my friend's room. I was not offered a refund and staff did not seem particularly interested.
Spa area is out dated, poor facilities with only one shower working.
Breakfast was poor and my friend cleaned the table as there were no clean tables. Staff reported they were short staffed!
One good thing, our taxi driver gave us the name of a very good hotel near by for future visits.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lynne S
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Having read some terrible reviews of The Riviera it was with some trepidation that my wife and I drove down to Weymouth last Friday for a two night break. We had read about the unhelpfulness of the staff, the rooms not being ready, the quality of the accommodation and much more. The reality was different in many cases but nonetheless we could see how easily it would be for standards to slip and the previous reviews to be absolutely valid. Endure a walk through of our visit and judge for yourself.

Arrived Friday circa 1500. Met at reception by a delightful and helpful young lady. Paperwork was ready, room was ready and we duly checked in without any fuss. Only negative was that she answered the phone whilst dealing with us but quickly told the caller that she was dealing with a client and put them on hold.

The room itself was fine. King sized and, for us, a very comfortable bed. Plenty of space in the room and a neatly refurbished bathroom with shower. No problems with the water flow in the shower either. Only down side of the bathroom is the inability to open any windows but there is an extractor fan. The Grade II list precludes double glazing which meant condensation but I would suggest secondary glazing would not be an issue. Access to the room from the outside of the building is a quirk of the architecture and could be accessed by a lift - as well as three separate stair cases. Nonetheless we had a sea view which was exactly what we wanted.

We then made use of the pool. Towels provided at the pool. Changing rooms adequate but no more but really no reason for complaint. Sauna and Steam room worked well. Pool was fine as were the jacuzzi jets at the poolside. Did not use the small gym so no comment on that.

We wanted to eat in the restaurant that evening. We were told by the restaurant manager we didn't need to book - just turn up. 7.30 arrived and we arrived at the restaurant to be told by a very stressed restaurant manager that there would be no food for one hour as there was a function on in the function suite. We were not happy, made a minor fuss and order 2 steaks which arrived 45 mins later with many apologies. To be fair they did not charge for the drinks or desserts as an act of compensation but the reality is that a hotel restaurant should be able to cope with a function and the hotel dinners. Food was OK but not brilliant.

Turned in for the night - had a comfortable and undisturbed night's sleep.

Breakfast the next day was close to faultless. Plenty of hot food, tea, toast and cereal but could have done with some fresh fruit. Nothing more to say.

Went out for the day, came back and needed a shower only to find two damp towels in the bathroom as they had not been replaced despite leaving them in the shower. Went to reception and they apologised and supplied fresh towels immediately.

Didn't eat in the restaurant that night - got a cab into Weymouth.

Next morning's breakfast was less than satisfactory. Restaurant was heaving. We were not shown to our table but just asked to find somewhere to sit. No one took a tea/toast order for 10 mins. Hot food run out regularly. Toast never arrived. Juice run out and was not replenished. Overall there appeared to be no system running. My view is it needed a meet/great/tea/toast order-er, a table clearer (everyone and no one did this role), someone to keep track of replenishment of food and keep the kitchen one step ahead, and a couple of people delivering the tea/coffee/toast to the tables. What I observed was the people taking the tea orders spending inordinate time in the kitchen and coming out 5 mins later with a single teapot and toast rack - very inefficient. Couldn't fault the food though. Good quality as per the previous morning.

After breakfast we checked out. Different person reception but polite, friendly and efficient.

General impressions: Clean and comfortable. Food adequate to good. Service could be good and staff helpful at an individual level but processes clearly not quite up to speed yet. Attention to detail is needed. Brooms and dustpans visible in a window of reception as you approach the entrance...not the best first impression. Lacks ambiance in the bar/restaurant - very neat but bland. Set some house rules about dress code when moving between rooms and the pool. Several rooms require you to go through the restaurant. So going down and coming back dripping wet when there are diners in the restaurant was not really what one expects. And remove the ashtrays outside reception and on the balconies. If people want to smoke it should not be near general public areas where non-smokers have no options to avoid.

On the plus side the position is great, the weather was wonderful and we had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend - and you should keep in mind that we visited on a promotion deal so costwise I had no complaints. Wouldn't want to pay the full room rate though.

Room Tip: Get a sea view, first floor and twowards the end of the building. Ours was the last but one and had...
1  Thank priestp
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We arrived at 2.15 pm hoping to drop off our cases in our room and spend an hour or two looking around Weymouth whilst the weather was still good. We were met (not greeted) by a man at the reception desk who told us that our rooms were not ready and had no idea when they would be and cared even less. We asked if we had been allocated rooms with sea views and he said very unlikely you will probably be out the back.
We went off for an hour or so and returned about 4pm, this time we were met by two receptionist who with a mixture of embarrassment , and lack of interest told us that our rooms were still not ready.
By 5pm one room was ready so four of us decanted into that room with a promise that as soon as the other room was ready someone would let us know.
It's now 6.10pm and with dinner booked for 7-00pm I returned to reception to be told the room was ready with no form of apology .
The room was ok small but tidy. No sea view as requested and was indeed out the back.
This was a two night discount voucher deal and I must say that we were treated like 2nd class customers.
We will definitely never return to this establishment .

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends