“Former Hotel Manager”
Review of Riviera Hotel

Riviera Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hello, I used to be a manager of a 5 Star Hilton in London, so I know hotels, I came with the family(kids 6yr, 3yr and 1yr) had a king and twin connecting room + cot bed. I have to say our stay was great, good breakfast, service was good and very nice. The quality of the bathrooms and bed rooms are very high standard. I read some comments about noise before, well considering that the hotel is facing the beach and you can hear the waves it is something very nice. I would not worry about that. The pool was very nice and clean and a great add-on for a hotel, with sauna and steam room.

Room Tip: I would get a connecting room if you go with kids.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Stefan W
Tony196052, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Stefan

To receive such an excellent and informed review from a fellow professional is very much appreciated. Also nice to see that you found the Riviera Hotel a great place for your young family. Obviously because of the listed building parameters we were not able to knock two rooms into one to create large family rooms, but we do our best to accommodate families and with the on site leisure club and the beach just below us, we believe we offer something for everyone.

Kind Regards

Tony Wilson,

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My family and I arrived late Friday night to find that there had been an issue with the online booking that had been done through a third party. However the staff at the hotel could not have been more helpful and caring if they had tried. Despite being busy the reception staff were most accommodating and sorted the problem out with little fuss and lots of apologies.
Bedrooms- twin rooms with sea view (stunning vista) and well equipped, beds were incredibly comfortable.
Bathrooms- high standard of finish and good size
Location- ideal for trips to town center or the beach, everything is close to hand.
Food- Blooming marvelous, I would recommend the cooked breakfast!
Staff- Brilliant!!! In particular the staff who worked on reception, Gary was fabulous and a credit to the hotel. Thank you.
Overall we all had a fantastic stay and cant wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Sea views are a must!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank james w
Tony196052, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review of the Riviera Hotel and for your kind comments which are always well received by all members of the team.
We are still questioning the booking agent with the problem that arose on your arrival and Gary will be making sure it does not happen again.

I look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future where perhaps you could make a reservation direct to avoid the problem happening again.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We arrived at this hotel about 15 minutes to 3, and were told we had to wait until 3pm before we could check in. This was not a problem as others were waiting as well.
After checking in we were directed to our rooms (there were eight of us in 4 rooms) on the first floor, via lift or stairs. All the rooms were lovely, very clean and modern and warm. The views from the outdoor landing are stunning. Right the way around the bay, and the sea is right on the doorstep.
Tony the general manager took us on a tour of the hotel, showing us the ballroom and bar looking out to sea, the indoor pool and sauna, that was a nice touch, thanks Tony.
We did not eat in the hotel for our evening meal, but the breakfast is very good, help yourself, and lots of choice.
All in all we had a great stay, the only downside is there was a strong wind that night, and we all had our doors rattling throughtout the night. But we all intend to return in the spring or summer.

Room Tip: As with all hotels, if you are not happy with location to suit you, ask to be moved.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alanguest

Dear Guest Family,

Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay at the Riviera Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you will returning later in the year, hopefully the wind will have died down by then.
Were you brave enough to go behind the stage to see if the ghost appeared or was heard later that evening? Perhaps next time.
Look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We arrived in horrible weather and parked the car for a few minutes next to reception to prevent our luggage to be soaked.
That was fine..but just!
We were told we had a room at first floor and we could not get there from inside the hotel!
That is kinda weird I thought but then we were told to use a very dangerous small and slippety metal staircase that has seen better days. With our luggage at our age it was not really what we expected. My husband cannot climb a stairs like that very well neither can I and especially not with large suitcases. I asked for help but there was nobody around they said. Maybe tomorrow morning? Oh well...no, not really.
On the other hand, next morning reception was really friendly and I did not recognise a single person from the day before. They were very helpful and although there was again nobody available to carry my suitcase upstairs they asked a guest to help me. Kind but again...not really very professional.
The breakfast was fine, nothing spectacular, but nice.
The room was small but clean and modern and so was the bathroom...we were happy with that although it was not like the ones we have seen on the homepage!
Being tired from our journey we decided to have diner at the hotel....not a good idea!
The restaurant was serving a party also, family with small kids and they all had carvery just like we. It took us over an hour to be able to get to the counter since they were constantly going back for more and at the time we got the food there was no choice. Just beef,,,some leftovers.
The girl tried to serve them to us but we complained about the heap of small greyish bits of beef and then the cook came and served us hot delicious beef and appologised for not having another option. We paid full price for one serving and no choice at all...cold vegetables and a very very unpleasant and loud public. Some drunk too much and the children were very tired and constantly crying,..we were happy to go upstairs and have a bath!
No, I would not go back there as I have no clue what to find. Some things were great but they do not seem to understand yet what people want.
It looked like they were used to have campers in for meal or something...I cannot imagine ever been to a restaurant where behaviour like this was tolerated by staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that you can go to from inside the hotel! It is very windy there sometimes and it is...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Viv11_11
Tony196052, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your visit to the Riviera Hotel in September of last year. I was shocked to read the way you were treated upon your arrival, I know we cannot help the weather and I hope future guests read your review and take your advice of dropping off passengers and luggage before parking their car in the car park. We now do offer assistance to all our guests, either by using the stairs or the lift. If we had known that you both were unable to use stairs we may have been able to offer an alternative room on the ground floor or closer to the lift.
You may not know that the hotel is Grade II listed and the stairs, windows and front door are to remain as they are for the future.
I can not comment on the behavior of the guests in the restaurant, but they seemed to be having an enjoyable Sunday Carvery and I am pleased that the Chef was able to offer an alternative to you.
If you do make a further visit to Weymouth, I hope you contact me directly so that I may deal with your reservation personally.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed here with my partner for a few nights during the summer. The hotel is situated high on a cliff just outside the main town. The staff were very polite and friendly whuch created a great atmosphere throughout the hotel. The rooms in fact the whole hotel was spotless. Hada great stay at thus beautiful hotel...hope to return in 2013

• Stayed: July 2012
Tony196052, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your kind comments, especially for remembering the time you spent at the Riviera Hotel during last summer.
I for one, am looking forward to my first summer at the hotel and to welcoming all our guests and Weddings to this beautiful part of the country.
We seem to be in a different climate all together as where the rest of the county is snow bound, Bowleaze Cove is snow free!

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed 7/1/2013.
Staff were very welcoming, room good, spacious and clean.
Location is very good, not to far from Weymouth and very peaceful.
Restaurant is good, dinner and breakfast very nice.
Breakfast is served from 7am, so it is handy if you want to go out.
Well recommended and will return in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Trevor O
Tony196052, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Riviera Hotel, your positive review is welcomed by the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Tony Wilson, General Manager

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just arrived home after staying for new year celebrations , as normal staff were excellent, even though new management team have taken over since last visit in september.
stayed in same room both times and both stays have been very enjoyable.
room very clean , breakfast excellent

The only problem that I had was that the main menu was not available in the evening , only bar meals, was informed at booking in ,that this was the case ,
but the still had a great selection and we didnt starve .

I know that there has been a few problems since opening, but I also know no one can get it right 100% all of the time, but the are trying very hard to rectify all there problems , good luck to all the staff and we will both be returning in 2013

Room Tip: rooms on the front are tthe best if you like a sea view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony196052, General Manager at Riviera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your review and comments for your recent stay with us.
We have started our new evening menu and have recieved excellant reports and Chef and his team are to be congratulated. Using only the downstairs restaurant and placing tables in reception area have proved a success also, so guests can enjoy both the view and our refurbished Bowleaze Restaurant.
We are also relaunching our Sunday Carvery next month and hope to attract both locals and residents with monthly offers.

I look forward to welcoming you once agin to the Riviera Hotel in the near future.