“It does exactly what it says on the tin - a very good B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pebbles

The Pebbles
Ranked #39 of 163 Weymouth B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“It does exactly what it says on the tin - a very good B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Well kept, friendly, clean, and made for a lovely weekend with our friends. Room was cosy but then I don't mind snuggling up to my wife. Parking was interesting, but the owners do their best to make sure everyone is happy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the review.
Glad you enjoyed yourselves and hope to see you soon.
Best regards,
Paul & Karen.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I booked in here with my partner for the weekend we arrived around 7.30 which we had informed the owners of. Our room was nice, spacious and clean, the bathroom was very small but to a good standard. The bed was lovely and big and very comfortable if not a little too warm which I felt was enhanced by the matteress topper.

Breakfast was on the whole nice but a little on the mingy side, thefirst morning we asked for scrambled egg on toast and this came on only one piece of toast.

Paul the owner was very friendly but what we "heard" of his partner was not to the same friendly standard. On the morning we checked out we heard her shouting at him in the kitchen whilst we were at breakfast.

Our mainbug bear though was the parking, there are spaces for every room but please be aware that large cars are not welcome. My partner drives a Merc est and takes very good care of it not to get scratches and dents. The spaces for cars are on the small side and we were called on the saturday afternoon by the lady of the establishment who bluntly infored us that our car was taking up too much room and when would we be back to move it! On our return (which we rushed) we were informed there was no proble now only to be knocked up 15 mins later by Paul informing us there was a problem and we needed to move our car. We eventally choose to park in the street as the likely hood of being hit, scrapped or scratched missed less on the publice highway than in that carpark. However this was not before we were told that our car was "too big"!

Nice hotel, small breakfast, nice fish tank but dont bother if you drive anything bigger than a Vauxhall Astra.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sarahm76sb
Paul B, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for your review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay in general and would ask if I might clarify one or two comments:

What is it with the toast thing. I am good but not telepathic. Should you wish to have more toast please just ask us. It's free.

My wife shouts at me a lot. Its my fault I'm very naughty!. We will shut the door next time.

Parking. You said a lot about parking except there is no mention that your partner decided that although we have only 1 space for every room and we were full when you stayed that he decided to take 4 spaces so leaving 4 other rooms fighting over 1 space in our back car park just so that no one could park anywhere near his Mercedes and risk denting or scratching it. Yes I did ask him to move it and anyone else who takes 2 spaces will also be asked to move.

At the time you came back I was out and 10 minutes after you parked across 4 spaces another room came in and went to see my wife as they were not using their car the following morning and wanted to get it in the corner out of the way so they were not inconveniencing you and wondered if you could quickly reverse out so they could get theirs in the corner and not inconvenience you in the morning.
That is why Karen came to see you and then she went to see them to say she had found you were in and could move your car but then they had changed their minds and they were going to take their car out the following day so then it didn't matter.
10 minutes after that I came in and realising how you had parked that we would not have enough spaces for our other guests so I came to ask you to move.

I would politely suggest that slight exaggeration maybe occurring as I have an estate Vectra which is longer and wider than your C class Merc and I can get that in every space in our car park and stay inside the white lines. Let me also make very clear at no point did either of us tell you your car was "too big".
It's a shame as if you had asked me while here I could have organised a whole car park for yourselves 2 doors down that is never used!

All of you with any car larger than an Astra can now breath a sigh of relief!.

Everyone is welcome, big cars and small ones, except for maybe a stretched limo all can fit in our spaces. We have had Range Rovers and all manner of large cars parked in all of our parking spaces. We only ask that you take 1 space for each room.
Thank you.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. Firstly we were greeted by the owner paul who was very pleasant and an overwhelming
smell of a "plug in "deodorizer
It was over powering. The room was clean and tidy. With the essentials. But it did strictly say that the complimentary tea and coffee would not be replenished during your stay. What the hell is that all about. Dirty glasses, leaking shower or toilet not sure which one it was. Towels replaced once a week, but unfortunately did not dry between use. No plug for a shaver in the bathroom. Cheap
rubbish mirrors that distorted you. Dressing table stroke desk was useless as the mirror was placed to high, and also no lighting near mirror. The constant drone of the tumble dryer located in the shed outside or bedroom window. Was annoying as hell!!! Then there was breakfast. What can I say. On your english breakfast there was; 1 fried egg, a piece of flacid uninspiring bacon, a sausage the size of my 9year old sons thumb, a slice of toast each , a dessert spoonful of baked beans (not heinz) and maybe 2 small mushrooms chopped into bits. Selection of cereals and orange juice. The breakfast was crap. We felt that the whole place seemed a bother. Breakfast was between 8 and 9 and the attention to detail was lacking. If you want your room cleaned you have to be out by ten!!! So pressure. I didnt feel like a valued guest, we felt like people who just paid the bills!! A maximum price for minimum input.The owners wife I saw twice, once heading up the stairs to clean and was ignored and the other time is when she was talking with her child in the garden. Won't ever go back and wont be reccomending .

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank dotty72
Paul B, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for your review and allow me to reply.

Although we were aware when you booked our twin on-line that a double was really required you declined our offer of cancelling and said you were happy to keep the twin.
As we explained we were fully booked in all our doubles and believed that as you were all smiles and told us you were very happy and having a great time while you were with us, you had excepted this especially when booking so close to arriving.

Clearly this was not the case!. We can only help solve problems if we know about them while you are here, but I fear from what I have read that there is an ulterior motive and can only assume it was the twin you had that would cause the above rant!. I can think of little else which would incense a person as much as this in a place which and please trust me on this has a long line of very happy guests most of whom are looking forward to staying with us again. Only a handful of them are actually clinically insane!.
We also have a 4 star silver award from Visit Britain for the outstanding level of accommodation, service and quality of food we provide for our guests. Are you suggesting they too are mental!. Lets just go through your comments:

The "overpowering deodoriser" is actually an Airwick plug in and the fragrance is "Mulled Wine & Cinnamon Apple" so I suggest you take that up with them or maybe don't buy any. But I've never heard of Airwick being overpowering before and we like the fragrance!.

The welcome browser was wrong and is now fixed. (Apologies)

The glasses were perfectly clean but 1 or 2 were starting to get slightly etched from the dishwasher. All those have now been replaced but you can wildly over exaggerate should you wish too.

Neither the shower or the toilet is leaking but if you have the bathroom door shut and the shower running for a long time, condensation forms on the cold cistern which then drips on to the floor and forms a small puddle. This only happens if the door is shut and your take a long shower. On the odd occasion this happens we wipe up when we service the rooms every morning. There is nothing we can do to change the laws that govern water in a gaseous and liquid form. Sorry.

Towels can be replaced 3 times a week not once and we have spent many hundreds of pounds since you stayed, putting a heated towel rail in room 9 so even the most saturated of towels will now dry out. The shaver socket is built into the mirror on the right side edge of it and is very clearly visible or you could have asked us!. I also would take exception to our mirrors being called cheap. That particular mirror I procured and cost £150 10 years ago. I am sorry if that is too cheap for you and have closely inspected it and found that other that the shock of my own image there were no imperfections in the clarity of the mirror.

That would definitely be a desk as I think there is a distinct difference between a desk and a dressing table!. If the mirror was too high for you could I politely suggest you stood up when if you looked up hanging from the ceiling there is not 1 but 3 lights!

The tumble dryers were indeed on as we were drying linen. What a strange thing to happen at a guest house!. It is indeed quite close to room 9 but we only use them when you are supposed to be out between 10am - 4pm. If you don't leave your room for 2 days unfortunately there is nothing we can do when you have your window wide open. Sorry.

The description you give of our breakfast is entirely personal one and you are entitled to it of course. What has me thinking is, why has nobody else in 11 years ever made the same claims as vigorously as you have had they not had an axe to grind?

Your description of our breakfast is quite accurate except for a few small details:

You may have as much toast as you like and I worry for your son having such an unusually large thumb!. There is indeed 1 local procured egg, and an unusually thick and expensive piece of bacon, the beans are not Heinz as theirs is full of sugar and therefore not as healthy as the ones we serve. Our mushrooms are around 3 or 4 per person and are quite large, fresh and locally sourced.
There are many words in the English language, some of them I agree with you are ridiculous and vague but your particular choice of word to describe my wife's hearty breakfast I would humbly suggest is ill-advised and vague. "Crap" does little to divulge the experience to potential guests of the culinary delights to be had. Unless of course you have the hump and an axe to grind!. I fear you will soon have a very small axe!

We do bother a lot I can tell you. It takes 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week to run this place and you are more than welcome to come and have a go for yourself.

Our breakfast is indeed between 8-9am. Thank you for informing potential guests, but please do tell what detail our attention lacked?

There are only the 2 of us to complete every task. Therefore as we are only charging guest house money and not hotel prices we cannot afford chambermaids and so need to have access to the rooms from 10am to make sure we are done between 12-1pm for guests who may return early for a rest and us getting out to procure all the things needed to keep our guests happy and any other task before we have to be back for 4pm to see in new guests arriving, having hopefully had 5 mins to grab some lunch!.

I have to tell you having been married for nearly 20 years that on occasion not seeing me or my wife could be considered a good thing!. I fear your memory may also be doing you a disservice as I distinctly remember you chatting at length in the garden in the sun one afternoon with my wife discussing our dogs!. My wife also apologises as she was not aware you had travelled all the way to Weymouth for 2 days just to see her. She will of course be much better behaved next time. Thank you.

Other than the above we did a good job then. Excellent.
Spalding, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Situated 5 minutes from the sea front and 15 minutes walk from the town centre. A clean and comfortable house with excellent hygiene standards. Reasonable size double room with a very comfortable bed and small shower/WC room on suite kept spotless. Received a warm welcome on arrival. The owners are friendly and made our stay enjoyable. I would recommend this B&B to anyone wanting reasonably priced accommodation in this area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cramond18
Paul B, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Great review. Thank you for taking the time and you had a great stay.

We both hope you come back soon.

Cheers,
Paul & Karen
warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were extremely pleased with our room. It was tastefully decorated and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom too was very modern and also tastefully decorated. There was parking too on the premises and we were made to feel very welcome by the proprietors. This is the best B and B we have stayed in and would unreservedly recommend to all. It is also only a few minutes away from the front.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review.
These are the words we like to read and so glad you were happy.
Hope to see you real soon.
All the best
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We traveled to Weymouth by train and found the B&B to be situated on a quiet road 10 minutes walk from the station - it's also around a 5 minute walk from the beach. There was a warm and efficient welcome and we got a few tips about local restaurants to try out. We didn't drive but there was parking on site for guests.

The room (room 4 on the first floor) was in immaculate condition and made good use of the space - it was fairly small but not cramped. Everything seemed recently refurbished - the bathroom was in excellent condition with a good shower, kettle and tea/coffee amenities were available (though, see caveats below).

There is a breakfast hour between 8-9 with a choice of full English of kipper (at the time of writing), both of which were very good.

Overall, it was an enjoyable stay.

Caveats:
Check in and check out times are a little later and earlier than we'd have liked - 16.00 and 10.00 respectively, though our hosts were accommodating when we arrived early and checked out a little late.

As another reviewer mentioned, there was a note in the welcome pack about tea etc not being replenished during the stay. Our stay was only two days but we did end up buying our own pack of tea as a result. Also, the walls and floors are very thin and the sound of people walking around can be disruptive at night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul B, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for your review.

Glad you both had a good time.

We understand flexibility but we are also only human and only 2 of us with a family also. If you would need to check-in early as you have a wedding to be at etc then we can do that but please arrange it with us at least 24hrs prior to your arrival and is their for these sorts of circumstances.

We found an admin error in the Welcome Browser which I added incorrectly (sorry) about the drinks tray not being refilled during your stay. This has now been removed as all tray are replenished everyday. Thank you and sorry for any confusion caused!..

A quick note for all future potential guests if you want total silence please stay in a top hotel for £200 a night plus. We only charge an average of £70 but you may hear the odd floor board creak or someone upstairs moving if they are dancing around!. It is a well known fact that 99.99% of all our guests are so over the moon to be staying with us they cannot help but dance!.

Karen & I work very hard to make sure we meet the expectation of every guest who stays here. Please remember we only have a very tight budget to work with and some things are even out of our control.

Many thanks,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights and thoroughly enjoyed our time here. We were made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived. The room was very clean and well presented and you felt at home and relaxed after such a long journey. It was so easy to just drop the luggage down and fall invitingly on to the comfy bed. The breakfast was really nice and it set you up for the day to explore Weymouth which was just a 10 minute walk away. We will certainly be returning very soon.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul B, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Boom. That the sort of review we want.
Glad you had a great time.
See you soon.