“Pleasant”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Pleasant”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Nothing bad to say at all about this B&B. Very clean room, equipped with, tv, hairdryer, tea & coffee making etc, comfortable bed and clean linens. Very clean bathroom with powerful shower. Good breakfast cooked to order, good coffee(not instant), your room number is your table number.Parking is first come first served (we luckily got a spot at the front). About 10 minutes walk to the town centre. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
pbeukers, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
We are please you had a great time with us and want to thank you for leaving us a review.

We are not quite sure what you mean by "parking is first come first served" as we guarantee one space for every room either in our front small car park or the larger one at the back off the house. We only reserve a space right next to the front door for guests who can produce a blue badge.

We both look forward to your next visit.

Paul & Karen.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at The Pebbles August 2012 and have to say I was very disappointed. The parking was a nightmare and we seemed to be on a residential housing estate. It was NOT a short walk to the sea front and amenities and anyone with walking difficulties would have a problem. My room was a box room, albeit it clean, was just a box room and I felt quite claustrophobic to be honest.

Felt very awkward at times, like I was intruding in someone's family home. Was waiting in the tiny reception area on my first afternoon and could hear the owners niggling and sniping at each other behind their private door, plus when I was in my tiny room could hear guests in their rooms. I find it very hard to believe that some say "the best I have ever stayed in" !!! oh dear.

Yes there was a seating area and small garden outside, but the family quarters ran alongside it and I felt again like I couldn't really enjoy it, especially when the family had their patio door open.

Plus side, breakfast was nice and so were the owners dogs, who seemed to have the run of downstairs, just as well I'm not allergic to them. Very sweet dogs

Room Tip: go to Spain, it's cheaper!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank heli b
pbeukers, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
I am not going to thank you for your review as clearly it was left in malice due to the fact we were unable to offer a full refund for the other room your sister cancelled whos review is "On reflection".

I won't validate your review by responding as that would only add to the futility and fear that all you have done is to undermine the authenticity of any genuine reviews you may have left for other places, which is also unfair on them if they were deserving.

If we are so bad then why did it take 7 months for you both to leave your reviews?

I notice this is not the first time you & your sister have had this cancelled room issue at other accommodations also from the reviews you have left for them which are uncannily similar to the ones you both left us. One would hope that after the first couple of instances there would have been an element of learning so as not to have the situation reoccur by maybe ensuring suitable insurance was in place to cover you. One can only guess as to the answer.

We make a living from the reviews that are left for us. We only ask that they are genuine.

I thank you. (Get off soapbox and exit stage left!)
New York
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed in 2012, per-booked 1xdouble, 1xdisabled and 1xsingle. Due to family illness disabled member could not join us. We notified owner giving enough notice for him to rebook the room. Upon arrival a sign in window said "no vacancies". However no concessions or refund made. We questioned why the no vacancy sign was up when the room was still available and were told he didn't want just anyone knocking the door! We felt that he did not try to rent the room because it was easier to get the money from us!

The double room at the top of the house was small and the shower over flowed. No change of bedding or clean towels until we asked.

The single room was very small.

Parking was difficult.

Don't believe all these so called travellers reviews, we know other people who stayed the same time as us were also unhappy. Don't be fooled by the travellers photos either, they are part of the professional ones.

It's a small house with no common seating area and you are made to feel that you are inconveniencing the owner by paying him to stay there. Enough said.

Total rip off and not a short walk to the beach either.

Expensive and not value for money.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel/guest house.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank melsian
pbeukers, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I would like to respond to your comments and will respond to your other family member's comments shortly. " Short Break"

Upon your arrival I could see you were not very happy with the situation, and despite clear anger, I did try my hardest to explain the purpose of the "no vacancy" sign on your arrival.

For clarity and the avoidance of any doubt, the entire guest list that frequent this B&B come from on-line and telephone bookings, this simple "no vacancy" sign ensures our guests are not disturbed by late night revellers calling at 2am waking the whole house up. There are a number of more select accommodation providers off the seafront who do the same thing.

We did manage to fill 2 of the 4 nights you were here for the room you cancelled with little more than a weeks' notice for which you were not charged. We only charged you in line with our cancellation policy (as recommended by Visit Britain) the 75% for the 2 nights despite all our efforts to fill them. Unfortunately you came in August when the Olympics sailing events were in town and Weymouth was by comparison very quiet for late bookings as we all know London was too.

"The double room at the top of the house was small", yes it is advertised as a small double en-suite room you booked our small cheapest double in the house, did you expect it to be spacious.

The shower didn't actually overflow did it?. I tested this daily for you during your stay, and after 10 minutes of maximum flow, it didn't come close, slow to drain away, yes. And as you know you were the first guests to stay in that room as it was brand new. We have since adjusted it and now all works perfectly.

"No change of bedding or clean towels until we asked". Absolutely spot on correct!, You were here for 4 nights and as I explained to you at the time and is clearly stated in our room browsers we are now required to reduce our carbon footprint along with every other business in the country and so ask guests to help us by reusing towels and linen.

You were indeed very clear with your instruction to change your linen and towels, which we happily did with no extra charge at the very exact time you required it done whilst dining out one evening.

Parking in Weymouth is at a premium and quite expensive and we are one of only a very few accommodation providers who are able to offer a free parking space for every room in the house on site. This we are happy to provide but like so many other guests before and after you I don't know what was difficult so I cannot respond.

All our reviews are from genuine guests who have left objective reviews rather than over sensationalising the most trivial because they could not have a refund.

FYI the pictures are the same because one of our guests asked me to email them to him as he wanted to put them in as guest pictures as he felt they would be much better than the ones that he could have taken on his camera.

"It's a small house..." is how you describe a 10 bedroom Victorian town house with 8 en-suites and a separate shower room, 2 dining rooms a lounge and office, a garden with 2 patios and 9 parking spaces ..... mmmmm.

"made to feel that you are inconveniencing the owner".. sincerely very sorry you felt this way, we are very happy and lucky to have all our guests. It makes me very sad to know that there is nothing I can do or say to change this, I will pray for you.

If any future guest would like to check on Google maps how far we are from the beach and please make your own decision.

Our cancellation policy is unfortunately a necessary evil with today's economy the way it is, to anybody that read this, please make yourself aware of this, It is an industry standard cancellation policy we have had from the first day we opened over 10 years ago as recommended to use by Visit Britain. We highly recommend all our guests take out holiday/cancellation insurance to guard against this very issue.

I would like to thank all of our others guest who have taken the time to leave honest reviews, we don't claim to be perfect all the time, but we do try our best.
Winslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I arrived quite late and had to leave pretty early, visiting Weymouth for business. The Pebbles was very comfortable though and although the room was small it was nicely appointed and perfectly clean. I only had a bowl of porridge andtoast for breakfast due to my early start, but these were good and when I said that I had to leave quickly everything was brought out very fast. Indeed, I found the owners very helpful and considerate throughout. I would certainly stay again and/or recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
pbeukers, Owner at The Pebbles, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thanks for your review. It is good to hear that there is great customer service at The Pebbles.

Glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit to Weymouth.

Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Fabulous hosts and excellent B&B. Great value for money. Good clean rooms beautifully decorated. Free car parking, Fast WiFi, TV and Coffee making facilities with filtered water jug. Plenty of plug sockets. Lovely warm fluffy duvet and pillows with comfortable beds.
Breakfast cooked to order and tasted great. Breakfst coffee cafetierre was REAL coffee. :)
Would definately recommend and will stay again the next time we are in Weymouth.

Room Tip: Room 9 was a twin ground floor, quiet room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hi guys,
Thank you for your review!. We love to hear when people genuinely had a great time with us as it makes all the hard work and effort worthwhile. It's our pat on the back so thank you very much.

We very much look forward to giving you both the same experience when ever you can come again.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Simply the best!! Karen & Paul are great hosts and make you feel so welcome. The rooms are lovely, clean with great decor. The breakfast is the best I have ever had in any B&B or hotel!! I rate it that much that I will be booking again for a week long holiday and would recommend it to anybody!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Burbage, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Having stayed in Various Hotels and B&B's in Weymouth over the years I can safely say that the Pebbles is the best one by far. The hosts are very friendly and make your stay there an absolute pleasure. The rooms are clean and well decorated and the breakfasts are of a high standard. I have already booked my next stay there and if anyone reading this chooses to do the same you will not be dissapointed,Excellent in every way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Ian,
Thank you for your glowing review. We clearly have you fooled!.

All joking aside its these sorts of reviews which allow guests to see what sort of customer service and quality they will enjoy should they choose to stay with us. Therfore these reviews are of paramount importance to us and the success of our business so thank you for taking the time to leave one for us.

Karen & I very much look forward to sharing at least 1 glass of wine with you both this summer.
See you then.