“Great overall experience as always”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #10 of 165 Weymouth B&B and Inns
West Midlands
“Great overall experience as always”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just got back from the Cumberland (Sunday 14th July) and as always a I had great weekend. I have been to Weymouth 3 times in the last 12 months and have always stayed at the Cumberland so thought it was about time I left a review online as opposed to just in the guest book Claire and Mark have.

I have definitely seen how they have developed the place over the last 12 months of them taking ownership of the Cumberland. My first stay was in room 1 which was really good and was a good indication of the standard they were trying to achieve when they had completed their overall upgrade of the place. I'm very pleased to say that my last visit the weekend was when I saw that they had completed the upgrade and they have made a great job of it too. I commented to them how well they had done which I know they were pleased to hear, yet they say they want to do more. This just shows how much pride they take in their roles in this service industry and really want to put the customers at the heart of what they do.

I had room 12 and whilst its a smaller room than ones I have had in the past (rooms 1/5/6) I think its my favourite. The last room to be upgraded is what they told me and it is as high a standard as all others i've stayed in. What gives it the edge for me is the wonderful view of the sea and town and the clear glass roof in the shower, I felt like I was abroad, what a great touch and surprise! Clean, crisp fresh linen is always the standard here accompanied by free toiletries in case you forget your own and finally a good choice of tea/coffee and biscuits in your room.

The hotel is of a high standard throughout, all amenities are just what is needed, the breakfast area is light, bright, welcoming and is finished off by a great choice of full English, cereal fruit and yogurt.

Finally, Claire and Mark - They are always friendly, welcoming and willing to give assistance when asked. They know the area well and have given me good advice on where to go if I want to travel a bit further out of the town. They even let me borrow their iron and ironing board on the Sunday morning before I left which is just one of the little touches that just makes me feel welcomed and well looked after when i'm there.

If you go to Weymouth, stay here is my advice, you wont be disappointed. See you again soon Claire and Mark and please have room 12 free for me :)

Room Tip: Sea-view if you can get one!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Glyn R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Great value guest house, extremely friendly welcome from the lovely hoteliers mark and claire. Immediately made to feel at home with nice attention to detail; reserved car parking space, fresh milk for a cup a tea, neatly folded towels, cooled bottled water, chocolate, excellant breakfast etc etc Nice clean room with sensational sea front view from window, enhanced with access to a balcony from where you can spend many hours just absorbing and appreciating possibly the UKs most spendid georgian sea frontage. Many further hours can be spent walking its long sweeping sea frontage, watching the boats and exploring its historic harbour area along with hours of fun on its safe sandy beach set within the natural bay. If you have not been to Weymouth before, perhaps we should keep secret its glorius appeal and unspoilt beauty, but if you want to experience england at its best we would strongly recommend the cumberland hotel

Room Tip: pay for a sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank david c
West Sussex U.K
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Thank you so much Clair and Mark for making our 25th Wedding anniversary that extra bit special. We had first stayed here 26 years ago when we got engaged, we fell in love with this little guest house then and all these years later it still has the same wonderful welcome. We were warmly greeted by Clair who showed us to our room where we found she had put a lovely card, chocs and a bottle of wine in our room ready for our arrival. The house and room was beautifully decorated and immaculately clean, with T.V and tea and coffee making facilities,The breakfast was delicious, with cereals, toast yoghurt and an English breakfast. Our only criticism was that in the morning when I guess everyone was using the showers there was very little water for us, but it had been fine the eve before.
We had a wonderful stay at The Cumberland Hotel and would definitely stay again, although hopefully it will be before 25 years have passed next time.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are beautiful but be warned it can be a little noisy when your windows are open espec...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pembroke, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

stayed at the cumberland for 2 nights as part of a south coast tour[to celebrate wifes 60th]What a nice place and what lovely people run it.The room was great the breakfast superb and we will be going back for a full week later this year...hopefully

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Just got home today. and I didn't want to leave. The room was gorgeous, the bed was like sleeping in a giant cloud and Mark was very welcoming and helpful. The breakfasts were yummy too :)

Adele + Phil

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner have just returned from the Cumberland after we stayed for a family members birthday. I have to say the owners are just what it needs. They are polite, friendly and easy going.
I had a problem with my shower in my room, which was a bit annoying after a long old day. Couldn't get it to work no matter what I did , but this was sorted in no time by Mark and a little note was left on the door to tell me it was done. I thought this to be a great little touch. Added a personal touch.
I love the offer of free bottled water in the lounge. This came in very useful after a celebratory meal........
The breakfast was great, with fantastic service. Nothing was too much trouble and as a group we must have eaten them out of bread three times over (we like toast)
I understand they have only been there for a short while, but definitely think they are heading in the right direction. The hotel was spotless, yes the rooms are dated, but you can see they are making an effort with fresh decoration. Will definitely return again.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Welshbanker
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I haven't ever been to Weymouth, despite living in Portsmouth for the past 29 years. My husband and I decided to go down for the day and stay over night. We found this accommodation on booking.com. It was a lovely old building and very well situated for the town and it overlooks the beach. The decor was very pleasing and the owners were lovely and very helpful. We would definitely stay there again. I can't wait to see it in the Summer.

Room Tip: We ere in room 9 and it was absolutely fine. Great view out across the bay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple