“£50 for a night at an alright place”
Review of The Hotel Central

The Hotel Central
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I found this hotel through later rooms and chose it because it was available over the bank holiday weekend.
The set up is a bit complicated we had to go to the sister hotel fairlawns on the seafront to collect and leave our key. Our room was clean with a basin in the bedroom and bath/shower and toilet in the bathroom with soap provided - no shampoo or shower gel though so bring your own. The light over the basin wasn't very bright. The room smelt a bit smoky even with the window open all night.
Breakfast was amusing. The fresh fruit on offer was an apple chopped unevenly into four! Ketchup was doled out by the spoonful.
But for £50 it was a place to kip for the night. That said it is on the route for people staggering back at drunk o clock.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Do not stay here on any night you would deem a "clubbing" night!
The sound is incredibly loud between the hours of 11-4am. My wife an I stayed here and got little to no sleep because of all the drunken traffic at the front of the hotel. If that was not bad enough, the noise between rooms was horrendous too.

If you want to have a good night sleep, stay elsewhere. If you're in town to hit the nightlife, it's probably perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank RichardLindsay
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I took a party of 44 people for 5 days and we had a great time, the rooms were clean, towels replaced daily, rooms cleaned daily, a varied dinner menu, all the food home made the steak and kidney pie was to die for. The staff were polite and helpful, the location was ideal, just one street back from the sea front about a 2 min walk, the shopping was the same, it was ideal for people with walking difficulty because everything was within a short distance, we had entertainment every night and they were all excellent , I am now booking for next year as requested by the people that went with us, it's ideal for groups as they can all be together. The price is reasonable, Weymouth was lovely , clean and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Christine W
Reviewed August 3, 2013

great price and location but in desperate need of a refurb.rooms and linen cleaned and changed daily,staff very helpfull and polite.breakfast had a good choice and was served up in good time.food was very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 897peter
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights with my girlfriend in late June. Reason being, my grandad (full time carer and 83 years young) wanted some company during a weeks respite in Weymouth. Upon entering the hotel, the assistant at the lobby was actually a piece of paper telling me to dial a 3 digit number if I needed help. I did so, and 15 mins later somebody turned up.

Eventually we made it to our room, and we were instantly greeted by an age old Granada TV set, hard wooden bed and a wardrobe large enough you could travel to Narnia through it. Upon inspecting the bathroom, long black curly hairs were on the floor from the previous tenant(s) and a large shower unit which, upon showering, had the force of a watering can gently dropping water on your head.

As for the food, we only paid for breakfast which was plentiful, but not the best quality. Anything fried tasted like the oil it was fried in is longing for a change, however the bacon, sausages and beans were adequate.

The location of the hotel is spitting distance away from the high street, and also the promenade and sea front which is great in the day. At night however, the windows are so thin that you can hear people returning home from the clubs, and it WILL wake you up. Had it not been for my grandad, I would have walked out after the first night and booked in another hotel.

I feel bad having written this as I don't often like to write bad reviews, and I feel sorry for the staff working there as they were ever so friendly, but the Hotel Central is not one I shall be booking into again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank F1Pete
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is its position. You are right next to the sea front one way and right next to the shops the other way. That's all. It is incredibly run down and desperately needs updating. Our room had the curtain hanging off the rail, it was classed as a family room but only had enough room for one bed and when. The other beds where in the room there was no walking space. On the plus side it had a big bathroom BUT the blind had to be permenately down as you could see directly into rooms behind you and it had the worst shower in Weymouth. The hotel food was very basic and very rushed staff stood over you waiting for plates. There are a lot better places in Weymouth for the same cost and they are worth looking for.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank thelards
Reviewed May 12, 2013

A very warm welcome on arrival. Very quick response to my request for the change of room as the one allocated had some minor problems. A Thai girl at the reception was more than willing to help me to move into the other room next door. Both room and bath were clean and large with disable access. It was located at street level but there was hardly any noise at night. The windows were properly secure. Both the Thai and Eastern European girls at the reception were fabulous and very approachable. Although we were allocated room in The Central Hotel right behind Fairhaven Hotel (Both under Kings Hotels group), we were asked to join other guests for breakfast in the large dining hall in Fairhaven hotel. Friendly and very efficient service by a team of Spanish waiters at breakfast which was very good. A good way to start the day. Plenty of tea and milk was available in the room. Location was very good as we were allowed to walk through to dining hall of Fairhaven out to the main road and over to the beach on the other side. Extremely convenient for my disable wife. Shops and restuarants within walking distance Parking was available on the premises at nominal rates.
I would like to mention here in particular that I booked a room in Fairhaven in September 2011. Unfortunately, my wife fell ill just before we were to leave and I had to cancel the booking. So, the hotel advised me that as I had not taken out insurance, the deposit paid was non-refundable but they would be pleased to apply it to a future holiday taken within 18 months of today’s date i.e. May 2012 which I used against this holiday in May 2013.
Top marks to everyone at The Central Hotel and Fairhaven Hotel. God willing, we will be back again next year to enjoy the Kite International Festival.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple