“Ooooooooooooooh.Those mattresses.”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Ooooooooooooooh.Those mattresses.”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We booked a five day stay on 19th May with Shearings whose associate company is BAY HOTELS including the Bay Royal and on booking I asked for a Sea View room.That is what I got.The view from our room on the third floor was magnificent all across the bay,beach and across the the harbour.
The hotel is rather dated as is some of the decor but from what I could see all the staff are magnificent in the way they try to treat their guests to make up for things that are not 'quite right'.
Our room 308 also had draughty wooden windows but I would assume as all the buildings in the area are the same they are in a 'Conservation Area' they cannot be altered using 'modern technology.I agree with that part.
We also had ' out of date' MATTRESSES on our beds.We could feel every metal spring on the top and underneath so I couldn't turn them over like I do at home.They were not very comfortable at all.As we only 4 nights we made the best of it but put it on our 'comments card' on leaving.The shower was unadjustable as well as was the TV.Most of the FREEVIEW channels were missing and reception 'iffy'.
The meals were adequate and properly cooked with the exception of some FROZEN vegetables but some pensioners appetites are better than others (me included) and 'seconds other than an extra roll with the soup weren't available.The breakfast toast with the scrambled eggs was very thin and soggy but edible and we ate virtually everything put in front of us without problems!!!.
Would we go back there ???. Yes.The staff are superb and do their best with their dated surroundings to make all their guests comfortable.They succeed most of the time.

Room Tip: Best ones overlook the beach/sea/esplanade and Harbour.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard C
RoyalManager, General Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Richard C,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am most pleased with your comments about my staff and I shall pass on your comments to them.
With regards to your comments about the hotel being dated, all public areas had been refurbished prior to the 2012 Olympic Games, which was less than 2 years ago. And has been carried out in a sympathetic manner in keeping with the period of the hotel and our bedrooms undergo a rolling refurbishment throughout the year. Our mattresses also are included in these refurbishment plans.
I am sorry to hear these negative comments however I am glad that you would return and holiday with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Peterstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We booked a holiday through Shearings Coach from Croydon and stayed at The Royal from Monday 12th to Friday 16th May. Our experience was not a good one. We had a twin room which was ok except for the fact that the windows wouldn't open and the television wouldn't work. We reported the problem with the TV on the first day of our stay but nobody came up so I went downstairs and asked a young girl about it and she said it had been noted down but there was a problem with the aerial. Nothing was ever done to rectify this so we spent an entire week with no TV even though we reported it several times during our stay.Not good. At breakfast the toast wasn't toasted properly so it was like eating stale bread every morning. Then we come to the meals. I don't know if there is a vampire problem in Weymouth but you would think there was by the copious amounts of garlic in every meal. Great if you like garlic but awful if you don't and there were no alternatives. To be quite honest the problems with this hotel spoiled our holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dustierose
Dear dustierose,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us. I will agree that we did have an issue with the TV aerial during your stay however this was rectified as an engineer was called out the next day and fixed the issue as soon as possible. The windows in your bedroom do in fact open however they are restricted to ensure guest safety. I am sorry to hear that your dining experience did not meet your expectations during your stay, had this been mentioned during your stay we could have rectified any issues you might have had. I would also like to add that our menu changes daily and has a good selection of starters, main courses and desserts ensuring that alternatives are available. I feel that here at The Royal Hotel we offer excellent value for money and do our upmost ensure our guests satisfaction in any way we can.

Travelers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Lancashire England
Reviewed May 8, 2014

The Royal is in a great position on the promenade in Weymouth very close to the ferry and the town.The general atmosphere of the hotel is good but there are a few problems. The single rooms compared with some hotels are not a bad size but could not hold a double bed ,so why a single supplement? The windows
were in need of repair so very drafty and the decor in need of some attention. Some of the food was ok but some was awful. I wanted to sit near a window but was told it was a table for 4 in fact it was two tables pushed together so could have been seperarted .The The coffee and tea available after the meal is set up
in the reception area and in flasks. By the time we had finished our meal the tea and coffee were cold and undrinkable. We tried the following night but again cold and awful again. You might comment that we should have complained but tea and coffee are basic ingredients of a dinner service so why are they getting it wrong every night.

Room Tip: None of the single rooms face the sea and doubles not available for single use.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Paris027
Dear Paris027,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us didn't meet all your expectations. I would like to address a couple of issues raised in your review.
Firstly single supplements are charged due to service costs being no different for single rooms or double/twin rooms although the revenue generated is considerably less, hence a small charge is made to cover these costs. No mention of your dissatisfaction with regards to any element of your holiday was mentioned by yourself at any time during your stay which makes it quite difficult to rectify after the fact. Our tea and coffee station is replenished at regular intervals throughout the evening to ensure hot drinks are available to all guests, if this was not the case my staff would have gladly made fresh coffee/tea had we been made aware. We do in fact have front facing single rooms with sea views, and as I'm sure that you can understand double rooms are not available for single occupancy without surcharges.
I hope this has answered your queries and we hope to welcome you back to The Royal Hotel in the near future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

What a lovely hotel got a last minute booking and had a premier room it was very nice we arrived from Yorkshire at 9pm the staff saved us a huge salad which was so kind and very appreciated after 6 hours on the road all the staff were very nice always smiling and willing to help we only went because some of our family had already booked but so glad we did food was nice and met some lovely people no complaints at all and hopefully we will return soon massive thank you to all staff especially lady in dining room she has worked there for years and made us laugh at every meal

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank theresa p
RoyalManager, Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Hi Theresa p. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your lovely comments. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here with us. The staff do work hard to ensure that guests fully enjoy their stay, so I'm pleased that this was achieved. I look forward to welcoming you back should you return.
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

If your looking for a value for money holiday in Weymouth look no further. The friendliness of the staff on all levels was superb and made to feel very welcome when we arrived. The standard of food and service in the dining room was 100%.
Bedroom absolutely fabulous having the view over the promenade and sea.
Big thankyou to all the staff from Stuart, deputy manager to Denise on reception we will definitly be back sometime in the near future.

Room Tip: One with a sea view like ours and corner suite made it large and sunny
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RAPIDRIVER
RoyalManager, Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Hi RAPIDRIVER. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your lovely comments. I am absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. Our number one priority is ensuring guests have a fantastic stay so im please that this was achieved. I look forward to welcoming you back when you decide to return.
yorkshire
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Just returned from a Friday to Monday shearings holidays , I do have to say the hotel needs some maintenance in places, but my stay was excellent you could not fault anything else. Location,food,all staff members,made it very enjoyable. Thank you

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Jll P
RoyalManager, Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Hi buteyorkshire. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your comments. Im thrilled that you found your stay to be excellent. Our number one priority is ensuring guests enjoy themselves on Holiday and im pleased we achieved this. I look forward to welcoming you back should you return.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had a five day Shearings break and for what we paid it was extremely good value. The room although spotless was in need of some tlc. The window frames need rubbing down and painting and the shower needed updating. There was two set meal times, it would have been better to have it staggered between 6pm and 7.30pm and last orders for breakfast 9am, people are on holiday another 30mins wouldn't hurt. These are criticisms not complaints, we enjoyed our stay and had a good deal with Shearings.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a lovely view, however can be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hi PandAHall_12. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your comments. We have previously staggered our mealtimes but due to feedback from guests, felt it was better to have two main sittings. We have refurbished a number of rooms and have more due for refurbishment soon. I am pleased you found your stay to be extremely good value. I look forward to welcoming you back should you return.