Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel
Hotel Rex(Weymouth)
Alexandra Hotel(Weymouth)
Windsor Hotel(Weymouth)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspremier roomshearings breakvictorian hotelnational holidayscoach driverself drivepaid extra for a sea viewfourth floormeal timessea frontnight portera sea view roomvisited this hotelrestaurant staffturkey and tinselgames roombreakfast and dinner
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed at the Royal for 4 nights in early Jan on a Shearings coach trip. Our room 421 was clean, warm and reasonably furnished and we had no issues with it whatsoever. The restaurant & bar staff seem to interchange constantly and all delivered a good service wherever they worked and with a smile on their faces.

Cereals, fruit juice, yogurt & tinned fruit were all available for breakfast on a self serve basis while 3 cooked options could be ordered via the waitress.The full works option of Bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, beans and a hash brown was plentiful and served quickly and set you up for the day.

Being there for 4 nights we were allocated a time for dinner and were shown to a table which was ours at the appropriate time for the 4 days. All was fine until the 3rd night when we arrived for dinner to find the table occupied. We had a look around the dining room and there were only 2 empty tables both piled high with used dishes. We pointed this out to a waiter who promised to get the tables made available and then promptly continued to look after his own tables. 15 minutes later we were still standing by the restaurant entrance.Another trip around the dining room and found a table had been prepared but no one thought to tell us.

The staff have no control over where people sit but once made aware of a problem I would expect it to take a lot less than 15 minutes to sort. It cost them their tip. The dinner menu had 3 starter options, 5 main course options including a salad and a veggie dish and 4 sweet options. All were well presented, quickly served and I enjoyed them immensely..

We enjoyed our stay and as one of the elderly travellers on a cheap coach trip so denigrated by 4T4 would happily return. If you want a reasonable 3 star hotel give the Royal a try, we weren't disappointed and neither will you be.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a fine view of the bay but can be noisy as they are not double glazed
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dave H
ManagerOfRoyalHotel, Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, Im so pleased that you would happily return. I am concerned about the situation you found yourself in at dinner time, I can only apologise for this and have looked into this and I have passed your comments onto the restaurant manager. We are making continual improvements to the service we provide for the benefit of our guests. I look forward to welcoming you back should you return.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have just come back from 3 nights at the Bay Royal. After booking I read some of the reviews.We were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the negative ones. Happily we need not have worried .We stayed in room 304. When entering it did smell a little fusty but once inside it was fine. The room was lovely and warm at all times, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom very clean.
The reception area was a lovely and a nice place to sit on a cold afternoon near the fire drinking hot chocolate after a nice walk on the beach.
The staff are all very friendly and helpfull every one of the maids said good morning as we passed
The reasurant was just as nice and the food was good.A special mention to our waitress Nicky who introduced herself to us and she was always smiling and very polite and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Susan C

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your lovely comments. I have passed your comments on to Nikki. I’m so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us were pleased with the food. We are continually improving our service and its fantastic you benefitted from this. I look forward to welcoming you back should you return.

Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The only positive thing is the location. However very noisy rooms in the front due to single glazing. Service is bad. Food very bad. Full of cheap coach tours for elderly travellers. Experience which will never be repeated! To forget.

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank XT4Travels
ManagerOfRoyalHotel, Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I’m pleased that you found the location satisfactory, we are lucky enough to have a central location whilst being directly on the beach. I’m sorry that you were not pleased with the service or food, we are constantly improving our service to provide the best stay possible to our guests. However if you would have reported any of these problems to us, then they would have been rectified immediately by one of our friendly staff.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

My mother-in-law and I stayed at this Hotel the weekend of the floods 23-26/11/12
I have to say we didn't expect to get there as at one point all roads out of North Devon were inpassable. However we set off nice and early and arrived late morning having seen plenty of flooded fields and wet roads but arrived safely. i had already looked on line at the area and had decided that the best place to park would be the railway station. We were lucky and found a space. i worked out howmuch the weekend would cost and put the money in the machine only for it to give me a ticket up to midnight on the Sat. I took the ticket to the railway offive and they sorted it all out for me - I think the cost was £13.50 from 11am on the friday to 23.59 on the Monday evening. There is some sort of voucher system in operation at the hotel but as I knew we were not going to use the car it seemed sensible to just park it up and forget about it.
I read an awful lot about this Hotel on here and have to say for any holiday i book uk or abroad always read with an open mind - just mostly looking for tips. We had booked a twin room which was at the back of the Hotel and really lovely. The bathroom was spacious, clean and with a full size bath - lovely as i only have a shower at home! The wind and rain all weekend wasn't much of a concern to us at the back of the hotel. But people at the front were whinging a bit. and another person said they had no heating. I can only say we had a lovely weekend despite the weather and the fire alarm going off at 0130 Sunday morning. We had been down to the entertainment and had enjoyed it and were still up talking - although i had got into my jim-jams Mum in law was still dressed so it wasn't too bad. I wish i had sussed things out a bit though. we went down flight anfter flight of stairs only to have to climb up 3 flights which bought us to the reception. The next day i discoverd had we gone the other way 3 flights would have bought us straight to reception! You are told to use your nearest exit though which is what we had done!
Food excellant and the staff seem to work so hard to please. I have used self drive Shearings before - it's always excellant VFM and allows you a little bit more freedom. By the end of the weekend you have got to know several of the other guests as well. I would say that this hotel was maintained to a higher standard than others we had stayed at but this may well be because of the olympics ( I think TV took over the Hotel in the summer) and so much of general wear and tear refresh works had been done with the majority of public areas freshly painted. The Ballroom downstairs could do with some TLC but this would be pointless unless they fix the leak to the flat roof above the dance floor. I had to ask for something to be placed where the water was dripping as it was an accident waiting to happen. They did find a mat though which served to soak up the leak and avoid someone slipping. the views from this hotel would be wonderful in the summer and at night there are green lazzers that flit accross the bay. A relaxing, enjoyable and hilarious weekend was had by the pair of us - we will be back!!

Room Tip: Rooms to the front great views rooms to the rear quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank amanda c

Thank you for your lovely review and taking the time to review your stay with us. I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here and had a “relaxing, enjoyable and hilarious stay”; this is exactly what we set out to achieve. The hotel has had a renovation of public areas with the ballroom next on our list as we have set out to continually improve the service we provide to our guests. I’m pleased that you also appreciated the view, we are known for having one, if not, the best view in Weymouth. I really look forward to welcoming you back when you return.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

A lovely victorian hotel that has sadly been allowed to deteriorate over the years. The foyer and front bar are fine (of course) but the bedroom decor was old and the carpet stained. The bay windows leaked wind and rain so much that the chambermaid put towels along the window cills to catch the water. The radiator was on full blast to keep the room warm and you couldn't turn it down so it must be costing them a fortune in energy bills. The shower had no power and trickled water so you had to move about to get wet. The ball room was dated with a leaking ceiling and the games room had a snooker table that was also old and the cues useless. We were in a big group and I know we were not alone with the rain water and shower problems.
The restaurant was clean and the food fine with friendly staff both for breakfast and dinner.
Then at 1am the fire alarm went off. It was a shambles, our fire escape led to a pitch black alley and we eventually found our way to the front of the hotel, the staff were untrianed and were in no rush to do a head count, we later heard that one of the staff had been smoking in the basement office and had set off the alarm but I can't say for sure if that was the truth.
The manager admitted that if a fire had started in the basement the 110 year old timbers would have resulted in the hotel going up like a torch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
ManagerOfRoyalHotel, Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. Our hotel has undergone some major refurbishments to improve the service we provide. Our popular ballroom is next in line for refurbishment. With regards to the fire alarm going off, I can only apologize for this. However it was not due to a member of staff smoking. There has been a thorough investigation into it and addition training will be given to all members of staff with how to deal with future procedures. Our hotel is regularly inspected by fire officers and passes all legal requirements. The safety of our staff and guests is a number one priority.