Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel
Windsor Hotel(Weymouth)
Crown Hotel(Weymouth)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewspremier roomshearings breakvictorian hotelnational holidayscoach driverself drivepaid extra for a sea viewfourth floormeal timessea frontnight portera sea view roomvisited this hotelrestaurant staffturkey and tinselgames roombreakfast and dinner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Upgraded premium room excellent: bar (good selection of malts), lounge & resturant good but food not good at all. Meal times were altered without prior notice. Two staff worthy of mention were Eva(reception) & Lewis(resturant manager). These two went out of their way in difficult circumstances to make us welcome & made our stay very enjoyable. If the food was improved, we could stay in the same room (114) & Eva / Lewis were there to look after us my wife & I would revisit.

Room Tip: Premium rooms are worth paying for.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pete w
ManagerOfRoyalHotel, Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It is not our policy to alter any meal times with or without notice, so I cannot understand why this happened during your stay. I can only apologise for this and assure you that we are investigating the matter. All of our staff work hard to ensure our guests have the best stay possible. Thank you for comments regarding Ieva and Lewis, we have passed these onto them, I look forward to seeing you again should you return.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

A beautifully restored hotel from the late 19th century. Very polite staff and management. A dream hotel holiday for 18 nights when I was working on the Sailing event at the 2012 Olympic games.
Only ate breakfast in hotel, but it was compressive offering everything one could ask for.

Room Tip: Even though the rooms at the read face away from the beach, they are much quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Kewvet

Thank You very much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for kind comments. Our number one priority is ensuring our guests have the best stay possible and I’m so pleased that this was achieved; I’m especially pleased you found the hotel to be a “dream hotel”. I look forward to welcoming you back should you return.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I did'nt stay at this hotel but while i was in Weymouth for the day last Sunday i called in for some lunch. The service i received from a lady on duty in the bar was superb. Unfortunately i can't remember here name.She was so friendly and chatty and she made me feel like a valued customer. This lady is a real asset to the hotel.

The bar was very pleasant and the windows were open with a lovely breeze coming through especially as it was a very warm day. The views out over Weymouth bay were superb. I opted for the Burger option which came with fries and a fresh salad. The portions were massive!! The food was served fresh and hot. I really enjoyed every bit.

After receiving such great service from just calling in for some lunch, i would certainly like to stay at The Royal the next time i am in Weymouth.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Coachholidayfan

Thankyou so much for your kind comments. Im thrilled that you enjoyed your lunch here and would consider staying here next time you are in Weymouth. Or even if you dont have the time to stay I do recommend popping in for one of our cream teas. I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Not a good start when the first thing you see in reception is a sign you can upgrade your room,basically it's saying you've got a crap room if you don't pay extra. To start with my room 309 was shabby but clean and in desperate need of a refurb. However the room didn't get hoovered for a whole week. Also there was a massive boulge in the ceiling when there must of been a flood on the floor above. On the other hand, we had great views from our windows and the hotel is probably in the best location you could ask for. What i found most annoying about the room was the TV. I could only get bbc1 and bbc2. I had to stare at a picture of a kitchen on itv and a picture of 2 fillets of cod on channel 4 ,for the whole week. Lastly the beds were quite uncomfortable as you could feel the springs. However you could tell they have done up the public areas of the hotel for the Olympics. The food was alright but very basic. I thought the breakfast was very nice. I thought the waiters and waitresses were very hardworking unlike the restaurant manager who didn't do anything. Also they seemed confused about how ordering the drinks worked. I liked the games room that had a snooker table. The hotel had 2 lifts i preferred the old fashioned lift with the two gates, like the one in the Titanic.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank emlouise4
ManagerOfRoyalHotel, General Manager at Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I completely agree that we are in an excellent location with great views. I can only apologise for the television in your room, this has been rectified. Our restaurant staff have now received additional training regarding drinks ordering. I look forward to seeing you again should you return.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

We have just returned from a 3 day break, 15th - 18th June, at the Royal Hotel Weymouth.

The room we had, 108, was clean with a wonderful sea view, however there was only 1 bar of soap presented, no shower or bath gel, shower cap etc. The extractor fan in the Bathroom was extremely noisy and vibrating badly, damp patches on the wall spoiled the otherwise good decoration and the mattresses were uncomfortable with the springs being felt through the covers.
Room 106, which the remainder of our party had was also just acceptable, but the room further down the corridor was vacated on the day we arrived and the door to that room left open, with all lights blazing together with removed bed linen left outside the room in the corridor for the whole time we were there.
The dining experience was a nightmare. Queuing up for a table for 10 - 15 minutes, no bread rolls offered and when we asked for some we were handed rolls from an adjacent table that other people had not used. This happened each time we dined. A used wine glass was also handed to us when we asked for a replacement glass.

Food quality, presentation and choice was very poor, reminiscent of school dinners/ hospital food and obviously produced to a very tight budget.

There were far too many guests due to overnight tourers, and the dining room completely understaffed. We would have left after the first evening had it not been for our companions and the thought that it could not get worse, but unbelievably it did.
On the Saturday evening we were informed that there were 117, (or was it 170), guests for a dining room that catered for 85. The same few waitresses were taking orders, serving and clearing tables. One waitress in particular was quite rude and made it clear that we were outstaying our visit to the table even though we had to wait quite a long time to get that table and she wanted to clear up. Tea/Coffee was removed from the coffee bar before we had finished dining so that we were denied these facilities on all three nights that we were there. The hotel dining times state that evening meal was up to 19:30 and although we had to wait in line, we were there before 19:30. on each evening. It was patently obvious that the serving staff objected to us being one of the last to leave our table, and made a big fuss about clearing up around us whilst we were still eating.

Empty plates were removed from our table even though not all of us had finished, and menus were collected and dropped loudly in a heap by our table which was near the entrance, quite pointedly although were were still eating. We were made to feel very uncomfortable.

On our last evening we retired to the bar and tried to order cocktails, as advertised on the tables, but the barman did not seem able, or willing, to produce them.

On several occasions, the receptionists were to be seen eating their dinner whilst attending the desk, extremely unprofessional.

The final morning at breakfast was reasonably calm and efficient and it was noticeable that the waitress with the obvious chip on her shoulder was missing.

My wife and I recommended this Hotel following a very good experience with your Coast & Country Hotel breaks in Tenby last year and Bournemouth earlier this year. The difference between them and Weymouth is unbelievable.

All in all the worst dining experience all four of us have ever undergone, and we have travelled extensively around the World. The staff at the Royal Hotel Weymouth made " Fawlty Towers" look slick and professional.

You seriously need to get someone in there to observe what's going on. I would not recommend this Hotel, or Shearing Holidays to anyone based on this experience.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
19  Thank Robert C

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. Im pleased that you found your room clean and enjoyed the lovely sea view. Our number one priority is ensuring guests are comfortable and enjoy their stay, I’m sorry that on this occasion this was not met. Should you have bought the issues regarding your room to our attention then we would have rectified them immediately. I am extremely surprised about your report of bedding being left outside for your three day stay, as our housekeeping staff clean every room, everyday. In addition to this we have our maintenance man and management who are in the corridors at various points during the day. Our Hotel is frequently full and we have sufficient rooms for a large number of guests, we did not have too many guests. However we have noted the issues raised and are investigating them.