“worst hotel ever”

The Fairhaven Hotel
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed October 21, 2013

carpets tired, worn and stained, deco 70's. single bedroom like a broom cupboard,couldnt lock bedroom door at night manager says it is because people put snip on and forget then they break, did not feel secure at night in room as it was not locked securely. Not suitable for people with walking difficulties. Money taken from my suitcase manager tried to say I missed placed it as older people do say they have lost something and then it is found later.I don't class myself as old at 55.Manager needs to learn some customer care as he is abrupt and rude would not stay at hotel again are recommend to anyone.#

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank ems158

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Old fashioned. Cold. Smelt of old people. Rude waitress and so so so soo many hairs in the bed. Blonde and black. Hadn't been hovered in years. Dust on the floor by the beds. They only wash the light bedding not the fleeced or throws. Disgusting!

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sam n
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a hen night. Myself and my best friend had a twin room, on entrance you aren't greeted by the staff or reception, we dragged our bags up the stairs and began our journey through the maze of corridors and paper signs with room numbers and arrows printed on them. When we got to our room, it smelt like an old people's home. We thought, oh dear, it will have to do.
When we got back from a great night out in the town, we pulled back the bed sheets (a frilly top cover followed by a thick fleece blanket and a sheet,something not even my gran would do) to find pubic hair and other great clumps of hair on our sheets. To me, that is totally unacceptable. From then on we felt like we were in a dirty used room. The bed sheets smelt damp, there was dust about an inch think on the carpet around the skirting board, the curtains were to small for the window, the decor was just plain awful, the room was freezing, then too hot them too cold. Oh, and they might want to consider getting an excorsist or pest control because there was something scratching from the inside of the walls that kept me and my friend awake all night out of fear. :-D breakfast in the morning felt like it had been sat waitinj around for half an hour, plus the waitress was incredibly rude and pushy. For £70 for one night, I would have rather paid that to take me home to my own bed. Great place to stay if your 80 or over. Otherwise, just sleep on the beach or find somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank jessykinz
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We have stayed here before so knew what to expect. We had a plain but clean, adequately furnished sea-view room. The hotel is vast as is the dining room, and is situated right across the road from the beach. It is ideally located for the harbour and cross channel ferry and the staff will accommodate people needing an early breakfast before catching the ferry. We were celebrating a special occasion and several of our friends and relatives stayed here, and were very satisfied. For breakfast there were options of a cooked breakfast, cereals with coffee or tea. The service to the table was good and the food was hot. The hotel is a little old fashioned and needs some updating, but we visited right at the end of the season so this was not unexpected. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room as the back of the hotel is a bit dreary.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pearl M
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Myself & my partner stayed at the hotel for 1 night at the end of September. We was greeted by the rudest receptionist ever, with very little understanding of English. I had called the hotel before arriving to ask about car parking & was informed I could pay £5 and get a cap parking space, when I arrived at the hotel I was advised that I had to leave my car keys as the drive way was small they move cars why necessary. As I drive a company car, I wanted clarification that they handful insurance to drive the cars, well you would think I was asking the world! The room was very vary basic and net curtains were 3 inches smaller than the window! Room smelt damp. Looking back the hotel was cheap and on hind site we should have paid £20/£30 more and booked a better hotel. Lesson learnt. Only positive point was breakfast was ok. Average age of guests in hotel was 80! Reception area also smelt.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicky G
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The room was old-fashioned, with sheets and blankets instead of duvets. Ugh!!!
The decor was well past its sell by date too.
I had booked a twin room, yet was given a double with no apology.
I asked for a sea view yet was put at the back of the hotel where I was kept awake by the boom of disco music and shouts of revellers until 6.00am on Saturday and 3.00am on Sunday.
The towels were lovely though, very large, new and clean. The cleaning of the room was excellent too.
The breakfast was very mean too. We were allowed EITHER fruit juice OR cereal and the portion of cereal was pathetic. This is the first hotel out of literally hundreds I have stayed in over the last twenty years where I could not help myself to cereals and juice. There was almost no choice at all, not even yoghurt was on offer!!!
The cooked part of the breakfast was just about okay but we could not have beans AND tomatoes!!!
Having said this, the staff were helpful and efficient, despite the mean ethos of the management. On Sunday morning, us having been denied cereal AND juice, the men at the next table were allowed refills of their juice - inconsistent or what?
The hotel was acceptable, just but needs serious modernisation of the finishing touches and style of management to bring it into the twenty first century.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask lots of details BEFORE you book a room. Phone up before you arrive to check you ge...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pennyanne2012
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Arrived with trepidation as having read the reviews after booking, first room was very dark & small asked for a change & got a sea facing room with big bay window, very cold had to buy a water bottle & wore socks in bed, heating didn't work although being fair hotel only opens from April to end of October so heating not needed very often , decor was good condition yes very 70.s but very clean, where is 3 hotels made into 1 lots of little steps up & down & long corridors to walk along twisty turny, We had 1/2 board food was very good very fresh, 3 choices for each course, staff were mostly spanish, English adequate, didn't like the 18.00-19.00 times for dinner too early, a bar with entertainment & bingo, 2 types of parking parking @ hotel very small, street parking the better option, WE WERE GENERALLY VERY SATISFIED WITH OUR STAY, age group older but so what

Room Tip: ask for sea facing room
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple