“Total disappointment!!!”

Stracey's fish and chip shop
Ranked #170 of 290 Restaurants in Weymouth
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Having researched on trip advisor, we went out of our way to drive to Stacey's! Nice setting and service was fine. I had cod and chips, the cod , served with a slice of lemon, would have been quite nice but it was the smallest piece of cod I have ever had! The chips were disgusting, the sort you would expect after a 4am visit to the kebab shop, I, my partner and my two children could not eat the chips despite our hunger after not having eaten since breakfast ( now about 6pm)! All served in horrible plastic boxes also reminiscent of my local kebab shop! If you're looking for traditional fish and chips, give this one a wide berth!!!

1  Thank Nickynoodle69
straceyschips, Owner at Stracey's fish and chip shop, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

I am sorry you had a bad experience at our fish and chip shop. As I am sure you will agree our reviews paint a very different picture to yours so I do apologise that your meal was not to our usual high standard.
Many people comment on how nice our fish (cod) and chips are as these reviews will support and therefore your review will be treated with the utmost importance to ascertain what went wrong.
Our cod and chips and in fact most meals are supplied in bio boxes which keep the food very fresh. We do not serve our cod and chips in nasty plastic/polystyrene boxes as in your visit but again I will look into this.
We tend to cut our cod into thicker fillets so the customer has something decent to bite into rather than long thin pieces that look big but consist of more batter than fish. All our fish is weighed prior to being sold so whether your piece is short and thick or longer and thinner they should be of similar mass.
We thank you for your review as all feedback is helpful but please ensure you visited the right shop as there is another chip shop just 90 yards down the road.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

So glad we found this place, a few minutes drive out of Weymouth but more than worth it. The fish and chips were cooked to order and were delicious, my husband had the pie which had a nice crusty top and lots of filling. Friendly staff, spotlessly clean. Worth a visit

Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I both enjoyed fish and chips as we strolled along the beach, nice fish and really good portion size. I love lots of salt and vinegar and fortunately my food was perfect, will be back next year :-)

1  Thank EmmaWoodwards
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

I like pretty much everything about this fish and chip shop. The food is excellent and always freshly prepared. The chips are perfectly cooked, the fish is fresh and tender, and the pies have crispy puffed up pastry on top. They use recyclable containers most of the time too, I think these being cardboard rather than polystyrene helps to stop the chips going soggy on the way home.

The shop itself is very clean and the staff were happy, polite and helpful.

We'll definitely be gong back next time we're in the area.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We camp nearby every year and thankfully this year found this little gem. The fish and chips here is fantastic. Cooked fresh to order (so a little longer to wait - but definitely worth it), the chips are lovely and the batter tasty and light. It was so good we made a return visit whilst there and will certainly do so again when we are next in the area.