“Relaxing break, good location..”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Weymouth
West Fleet Holiday Farm Campsite
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Relaxing break, good location..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Having booked last minute due to our usual site being full I was horrified to read such negative reviews of this site on here before we set off on our week's holiday and wondered what the hell we were in for!
But.. What a lovely campsite this was!
Pitches were mainly flat and a good size, and we liked the fact that the service road around the site meant there was hardly any through traffic. We didn't take our gazebo as the pitch sizes seemed strict on booking, but it would've been fine to take it. EHU pitches were clearly marked and a very good size too, but were fully booked. We had no problem from children on bikes as others seemed to have and we stayed over the bank holiday weekend when it was very busy.
Facilities were great, lovely and clean, although perhaps slightly inadequate for the amount of 'guests'. Any mess was created by lazy people not throwing their rubbish (dental floss, used shampoo bottles etc..) in the bins provided, or mopping the floor (mop provided) after using the shower. The cleaning team worked hard and facilities always seemed freshly cleaned, toilet rolls replenished etc. Disappointing lack of plugs available for hairdryers etc. but I guess a lot pitches are EHU (we weren't). The plugs in the laundry are right in the doorway which made me feel very much in the way when drying my hair, and there is only one double plug socket in the 'old' shower block (none in the new block).
The little shop on site was a bit disappointing - It didn't open until 8.30am which we felt was a bit late and we would've liked some fresh bakery goods to be available in the mornings (croissants etc.) Surprised they didn't sell bags of ice too! ..but ice block exchange was available and we were able to buy other things we needed at usual convenience store prices.
We saw no evidence of the enforcement of the rules and regulations that many have criticised. Yes, we were made aware of them by way of paperwork when we arrived but never saw anyone 'policing' the site or enforcing them. The site seemed to become naturally quiet from about 11pm which we have found to be usual on most campsites. Yes, young children could be heard from 7am onwards but it was the gulls that generally woke us at daybreak so we were ready to be up and enjoy the day ahead.
We didn't use the pool or the clubhouse so can't comment on these. The pool felt warm when we went to investigate and seemed busy. The entertainment wasn't really our thing but sounded fun for those that used it. We had a takeaway one evening and thought it very nice and ok price wise.
We have a little dog and had to pay £3 per night for him, although we are not sure why when other sites charge less than half this and no 'facilities' specifically, such as a dog paddock to let him have a run. I can highly recommend 'The Gallops' for an evening or early morning walk. This is accessed via the neighbouring campsite and is a peaceful walk with lovely views.
The location is great for exploring the Dorset coastline - we had a couple of lovely days out Weymouth side and enjoyed Lyme Regis to the West, including the scenic journey.
We probably wouldn't return to this site as the pool and entertainments are obviously reflected in the price and not essential to our holiday.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Returned today after staying the week, the campsite was much bigger than i had expected and there were lots and lots of people there. I was impressed with the cleanliness of the toilets and showers however I did not like the fact that you have to queue up to brush your teeth. One day i had to wait over half an hour for the shower to be free.

If you did not have any other plans during the week then staying on the campsite would be quite boring as there are no other facilities other than the swimming pool however we had gone out every day and only spent the evenings at the site. We went to the clubhouse most nights and I had really enjoyed the live music, the other entertainment is perfect for people with young children.

I was a bit confused at the page long list of strict rules that were on the website and also given to us when we checked in however it wasn't very strict at all. I stayed in Paddock D which seemed to luckily be the most quiet paddock on the whole site and closely located to the toilet.

I really was not impressed with the steep prices in the Bar but they have to make their money somehow. On various occasions in the shop there was a woman who was serving and could not have been any more rude if she tried. She didn't even look me in the eye as I was asking questions about the Wi-Fi and gave short expressionless replies. I would have thought that a popular campsite like this would have friendlier staff.

I enjoyed my stay at West Fleet and the weather was absolutely cracking, I would definitely stay here again and find different activities to do.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SilentNights, Public Relations Manager at West Fleet Holiday Farm Campsite, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thanks for your comments. There are three facilities blocks at West Fleet, (all graded as AA three pennant, with the newest facilities to a much higher standard). It would be most unusual, even at peak times, for there to be a queue at all of the facilities blocks. Not surprisingly, August is the busiest time of year for West Fleet, as it is the school holidays. But this is just one month out of the six or seven month season that the park operates. There's masses to see and do in this part of Dorset, which is what makes it such a popular holiday destination for families. Many of our customers enjoy relaxing and playing at the camping park during the day, others choose to visit local beaches and other attractions. The vast majority of our visitors say how much they have enjoyed their stay.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just returned on Friday after ringing up last Monday morning to book and turning up the same day. Having used Seabarn Farm 4 years ago I recall you had to cross to this campsite for the entertainment and pool so I thought I'd save myself the trek! A warm welcome from staff on arrival, we camped at the bottom of the main field with the shop, bar and pool in and had no problems with noise in the evenings or mornings. We all sussed if we used the old shower block and loos near the shop that you don't need to queue at all. Thought the bar was very reasonable and watched the entertainment on a couple of nights, cheesy but fun! Asked the kids about previous pool comments as I didn't go swimming and they said the pool was just the "normal cold you have when you get in a pool at first which then goes once you're in it". Didn't pay for the wi-fi and couldn't pick up any phone signal at all but amazingly my kids didn't moan once about not being glued to their phones for 4 days which is a testament to the fun they had. Will definitely return next year!

3 Thank Ali P
Warley, West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have just come back from West Fleet and thought I would write a quick review. Our pitch was very good, flat and very large and we were more than happy to have paid the extra fee for the extra room. Our pitch was at the bottom of paddock W, which was a relatively flat field. However some of the paddocks had quite an incline to them as you went further into the paddock and I wouldn’t have been happy to have had to pitch on one of those.
I would have to agree with Phil an Suz that although we were led to believe that the strict rules are adhered to, they aren’t. There were people talking loudly, televisions on loudly and pots and pans clanging by 7am. There were also some very loud arguments with vile language being used. I am no prude and work in heavy industry where every other word is a swear word but this was where children were in close proximity to these arguments. One group of people who had 3 pitches even had some of the men up to fighting each other and their wives had to pull them apart. There is a 5 mph speed limit which was generally adhered to. However children were allowed to race around the site on push bikes at speed. Several members of our party were nearly hit, we have no objection to children on bikes, far from it but some form of speed regulation should be taken. At no time during the day or night did the site appear to be wardened.
The toilets were all well cleaned and functional although the new block was obviously nicer. The sinks in cubicles were a good idea so you could get a wash down even if you didn’t get a shower.
The shop was adequate for our needs and the staff were great, as they were on the reception also. I always find that if you treat people nicely then they will do the same in return. The bar was also adequate for our needs, a bit pricey but no more than the local pubs in the area. It was nice to be able to take our dog inside the bar area. The ladies in the bar were great but there were a couple of sour faced lads who need to learn to smile a bit.
This a great park for children, gets them off those game consoles and computers and back to playing in the fresh air. Many games of cricket, badminton and kite flying were in progress from late afternoon which most of the children joined in with. If you like a quiet evening this isn’t the site for you, screaming and shouting during the games generally went on till at least 9pm. Not a problem to us but could be for some.
Getting to the nitty gritty, did we have a good holiday, yes we did. Would we go back to West Fleet, on reflection yes we probably would.

3 Thank eaststandbaggie
SilentNights, Public Relations Manager at West Fleet Holiday Farm Campsite, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
West Fleet Farm has no Paddock W. The park is patrolled regularly day and night and policies on noise, language and behaviour are supported by a system of bonds and cautions (as has been noted in other reviews and as stated on the park's website). The vast majority of our customers report that the site is peaceful and quiet. Contrary to this review, no fights or similar disturbances have been reported.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just got back from a weeks camping here, it was ok but I wasn't blown away. Before we went we had looked at their website and read the site rules which seemed very strict so we were looking forwards to a quiet week on a well behaved camp site, however despite all the rules it wasn't much different to most camp sites. Our neighbours were very noisy but hardly the kind of people you could reason with, thankfully they were out most of the day but they sure made their presence made each morning and evening. I didn't feel I should have to complain about them but rather the site staff should have had a word with them, however perhaps I am being unreasonable to expect them to make sure people are sticking to the riles rather than relying on people to make complaints?

The website said that large groups were not aloud however there was lots of large groups that were clearly all together and caused more noise than everyone else put together. It also promised total silence from 11pm till 8am and as much as it went quiet at 11pm it was mostly 6-7am when it started being too noisy to sleep, most mornings this was cause by the cleaning staff (albeit cleaning up the mess left by inconsiderate campers at the washing up sinks) but I don't think they needed to be cleaning at 6am?

Its quite a large site and unless you have booked a electric pitch (which we had) you can pick where you want to be and there are quiet fields but these are much further from the amenities. Although there are 2 toilet blocks they are right next to each other and I think a good improvement would be a small block up the top end.

we were closer to the older toilet block and had no issues with either, I preferred the showers in the newer block but there was nothing wrong with either and there was lots of hot water in both blocks. The site is generally quite sheltered and some parts have good sea views although it is further from the sea than we thought it would be. The pitches with electric are marked and I would say worth booking due to the guaranteed size of the pitch and your not going to get someone come and pitch too close to you.

The pool was heated, I specifically found the heating in let to try and keep warm as the pool was cold, we only managed to stay in for 20 minuets before it was too cold and we had to get out. The pool was another area no one seemed to stick to the rules, no bombing or diving but there was loads of kids doing both, one day someone came and blew a whistle and told all the kids to stop and get out if they didn't have an adult with them but this was the only time I saw this happen. Other than being cold busy and a bit unruly the pool area was good with showers toilets and sheltered areas, could just do with being manned and warmer!

The shop had most things you could need for a camping holiday and the bar although being quite expensive wasn't bad, again it was aimed at campers for all weather situations, don't expect the ritz or harrods. The shop isnt bad value but the bar is much more expensive, an example if 65p in the shop for a double decker 90p in the bar, yes I know they have staff and bills to pay but that is some mark up!

I used the site wifi a few days as there was virtually no phone signal on our pitch, the wifi its self was not bad, £1 for an hour or £3 for 24 hours and I was getting about 1mb/sec enough to use catch up tv or sky go without too much problems.

Over all a good base for exploring the local area, some of the site is sloped so best to make sure you pick your pitch wisely and like we noticed some people doing move if you can, especially if your neighbours are Neanderthals.

Room Tip: if your on a electric pitch they are allocated but I guess you could ask to move if they have the sp...
1 Thank phil-and-suz
SilentNights, Public Relations Manager at West Fleet Holiday Farm Campsite, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thanks for your comments. We apologize if other customers made your stay less enjoyable than you would have liked. The park is patrolled regularly at night and anyone considered to be making too much noise is reminded verbally that they may be disturbing other customers. If they continue being noisy they will be given a written reminder of our customers' expectations. If that fails, they will be required to leave. West Fleet is a family park and young children and babies can sometimes cry at night. Most of our customers expect and accept that. The cleaning team work very hard to ensure that all the facilities are gleaming and ready for use at peak times, such as last thing at night and first thing in the morning. Inevitably this means working before customers are up and using the facilities. The "clean team" do this every day and we have received no other complaint that they are noisy. The main toilet and shower facilities are centrally located (there is a third set near the shop and bar) so that no pitch is more than a short walk from the toilets and showers. The vast majority of our customers say how much they have enjoyed their stay. Inevitably there is a balance to be struck between having too many rules in the eyes of some and too few in the eyes of others. At the moment, we feel we have the balance about right, with less than 1 per cent of our customers requiring any reminder about noise at night and an even smaller percentage making any complaint about noise.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We've just got back from a long weekend and to be honest there's nothing majorly wrong with this site but there's also nothing too great about it either.

Good points were the size of the pitches which were well sheltered and level, along with a decent size play area.

The bad points were the old shower blocks, which struggle to provide a hot shower, limited hair drying (my wife's issue not mine), a poor site shop and a bar/entertainment area that all seemed a bit tacky.

We usually camp in Cornwall but wanted to try somewhere different, I have to say we'll be going back to our old haunts again as this really was even close to the quality and standards we have been used to.

• Stayed August 2013
Parrish, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We visited WestFleet with friends and had a great time. The pitches are large and flat and the shower and toilet blocks are very clean even in the height of the season. We used the old shower block to avoid the crowds and this was also exceptionally clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weymouth
Moonfleet Manor Hotel
#1 of 22 in Weymouth
Swallows Rest
Swallows Rest
#22 of 163 in Weymouth

Been to West Fleet Holiday Farm Campsite? Share your experiences!