“From Christmas grouch to a believer in just 3 superb courses!”

The Crow's Nest in the Square
Ranked #34 of 292 Restaurants in Weymouth
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated just behind the old harbour and in the heart of Hope Square the Crow's Nest offers visitors the opportunity to enjoy excellent home cooked foods, wines, fine bottled beers and hot & cold beverages.By day we provide a wide range of local food and meals to suit all needs and by night we serve a full menu influenced by the flavours of Spain as well as an exciting Tapas menu for you to enjoy whilst you soak up the atmosphere of Weymouth's premier square.The Crow's Nest in the Square is the perfect spot for romantic meals for two, food and drink with family and friends or for you to simply enjoy a bottle of wine.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Ate at this Spanish themed restaurant with 5 others for yet another sub "£20.00 a head" Christmas menu. So used to these occasions being remembered only for their mediocrity I needed to be dragged along by my partner!

Am I oh so glad to have gone.

Between the 6 of us we had the majority of dishes on their Christmas menu the starters included a superb homemade chicken liver, chestnut and thyme pate and a delightful medley of seafood in a wonderfully light tempura batter served with chilli the other 2 choices on offer were a salmon and a goats cheese dish.

As I cynically awaited the usual "xmas" tepid main course to arrive with over cooked veg I was totally wowed by the dishes that were served to our table by the great waiting staff, 2 of us had the perfectly cooked fillets of gilthead bream pan fried with king prawns served on a bed of herby mash with a poached grape and white wine sauce. 3 of our party had the slow roasted turkey & chorizo ‘cassolo’ in a rich tomato sauce with onions, olives, peppers & lentils superbly executed the final main enjoyed by our party was the slow cooked pork cheeks and broad beans in a red wine gravy served with herby mash and roasted root vegetables again simply faultless in both presentation and preparation. The mash in particular was to die for,
We crowned our meal off with a selection of very naughty desserts, again ALL homemade including Baileys cheesecake, Key lime Torte and a White chocolate Pannocotta with a mixed berry coulis, each one simply spot on.

What I learnt: Not to be a grouch, there still exist little provincial gems like the Crow's Nest that in our experience is punching way above it's weight and doing it with apparent consummate ease any "big boys" locally best look out!

Amazingly they told us that they still have available xmas bookings, do yourselves a great big favour and book before this menu disappears with the ripped wrapping paper needleless Christmas tree!

6  Thank weymouthgb

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Called in last week for some Tapas. Was greeted by a friendly waitress who showed us to our table. Was told the sardines were off the menu which was slightly disapointing as my partner had her heart set on them. I chose the spicy meatballs, spicy chorizo and patatas bravas on a 'fiery sauce'. Both the meatballs and chorizo had chewy pieces in them which I had to spit out. The chorizo was obviously (and I've tried lots of different types) a very cheap brand and didn't taste as good as some I've had. Neither of these dishes were that spicy although the sauces they came with were pleasantly rich and tomatoey (if that's a word). The patatas bravas was nice but the 'fiery' sauce didn't have much fire to it.

My partner had the calamari which was nice and soft with crispy batter, the meat platter which was rather disapointing being slices of seemingly inexpensive cured meats which lacked flavour and should have been better sourced. She also had the sauteed chicken livers which were the highlight of the meal being very rich and tasty. Overall very good service from the waitress but the food could have been so much better if they had just spent a bit more on the ingredients and sourced them better, you can get fantastic, authentic chorizo online now, the picante ones are the best. Great chicken livers!

3  Thank Clowns P
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Lovely little bistro tucked away just off the harbour. We had 2 steaks and bottle of wine for £20. The steaks were delicious and very tender. Well worth a visit

5  Thank debbieGloucester
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Saturday morning in the sunshine with a full english breakfast. Fantastic and started our day nicely.

3  Thank holidayhappydays
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Couldn't fault this restaurant at all. Great tapas menu, fast friendly service, sensibly priced, quirky decor, intimate and cosy. Nuff said. Would certainly go back if I were in the old part of Weymouth.

1  Thank BangkokPhil