“Lovely break away with the children”

Moonfleet Manor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a three night break here with our 4 year old and 7 month old sons and it was lovely. We didn't leave the hotel the whole time as there was so much to do with the children and time to relax for us. My husband & I needed a nice break but one that could include our children & this certainly fit the bill.

Our room was lovely and spacious & our 4 year old was thrilled as he had his own en-suite, tv & DVD player, which down in the lobby was a cabinet of dvd's to borrow and they had his favourite!

My husband & I enjoyed coming down for a pre-dinner drink around 6pm where we would sit out in the garden enjoying the wine, beers and ales on offer, with the baby next to us while our 4 year old played in the huge walled garden that included lots of garden games, a football/rugby post and a smaller sectioned off area with climbing frames, swings, slides & sand pit, all of which we could see from our seats, so being able to keep an eye on our little boy but not really having to worry about him.

The food on offer for breakfast's, lunches and evening meals was fantastic for both us and our little boy who could choose from the very excellent children's menu. If either child 'played up' or was crying no-one made you feel uncomfortable, in fact it just felt so relaxed & normal you just didn't worry about it.

The Veranda housed a huge inside play area that our 4 year old loved, & to be honest even my husband & I enjoyed a game of tennis!

The creche held a breakfast morning where the staff came & got both our little ones and took them away for 2 hours leaving my husband & I to enjoy getting up & having breakfast at an enjoyable pace. I never usually use creche/day care facilities in hotels as I don't feel comfortable leaving my children with any one other than family members but this time I did & I have to say the staff were wonderful and both our boys were happy to be there. I felt comfortable doing this for the first time ever!

The swimming facilities were perfect with an adult pool, a shallower pool where our 4 year old practiced his swimming, & a paddling pool. The showers & changing facilities were very good also for getting us & the children sorted afterwards.

It was an expensive break but so well worth it. The location is fantastic. When we sat outside in the evening it was just so peaceful, even with all the kiddies running around. We had rain sometimes but it didn't spoil it. The staff throughout the hotel were all wonderful, kind, friendly and very accommodating. I do most things myself while on holiday, i.e. sterilise & clean my babies bottles, take my own travel cot, etc, but here this can all be done for you if you want. I would take down my bottles of unfinished milk & the receptionist would put them in their fridge until I needed them later to save wasting them. We usually stay in hotels where there is a mini bar which I then empty & put in all my babies bits that need to be kept cold. I think I would still have liked a fridge facility to be in the room but it was not a big hassle to take it downstairs instead.

Overall, a wonderful break away & we will definitely be returning soon as we did no exploring of the surrounding area which is beautiful!

Room Tip: If you don't mind the expense, a luxury room has a good amount of space for you and your childre...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Shelley G,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. we a delighted to hear that yo and your family enjoyed your time with us.

We are pleased that you got the chance to enjoy almost all the facilities that we offer for families.

We hope to see you all again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Moonfleet Manor Hotel

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I booked moonfleet manor after reading so many 5* ratings.

It's true it's a literally shabby chic hotel, and very good for children. It's also slightly off the beaten track and faces the sea, lovely praceful views. Also the food is really nice, decent wine choice and spirits/cocktails choice.

However the service was consistently slow. I would say they have plenty of waiting staff but they aren't well organised, so that should be fixed as its not a cheap hotel. However if you manage to attract one of the staff they are always friendly and helpful.

As the parent of an 8 yr old boy, who is very energetic but well behaved at dinner & in grown-up situations, I'd forgotten how unremittingly noisy larger parties of smaller children can be. The adult-only dining after 7.30 is a good idea.

If I went again I'd make more use of the facilities rather than going out for the day, as there was enough to keep my son occupied for a good few days what with the pool, indoor play, tv lounge, local walks, garden etc etc. the pool is average.

I didn't get to use the spa but heard a good report thereof. Also if you book a delux room and you are over 6ft a slight caution - some of them are on the second floor of the manor house and have very low & sloping ceilings.

Overall my son loved it, my partner thought it was OK but the service was really disappointing for me. Feels like it is run by friendly amateurs and a good chef.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MousieLoo
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear MousieLoo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that there were so many positives for you.

Please do accept my apologies if there were any service issues during your stay. We do have a very good team who are committed to helping our guests have an enjoyable stay with us. However, we are always looking for ways to improve and we will use your comments in a positive way to further improve our service to our guests.

Please do keep an eye on our refurbishment progress over the coming year, through a facebook page and we look forward to welcoming you back to Moonfleet again.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We arranged to stay at Moonfleet to celebrate our anniversary (with the children) and were not disappointed. We were arriving late on Friday and when we rang to say we were delayed, they arranged for room service to be brought to our room on arrival as we would miss dinner. The room was huge - and lovely. We ate the the restaurant the following night and thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend - a shame to leave.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Williams76
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Williams76,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope it helped to make your anniversary special.

We hope to welcome you to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Moonfleet Manor is in what appears to be a beautiful remote part of coast in Dorset but in fact is only a 10 minute drive from bustling seaside town Weymouth with its beautiful sandy bay. It is lovingly run as a family hotel with some exceptional facilities but at the same time includes old fashioned charm of a Manor hotel with beautiful antiques and pictures in the lounges and corridors. This hotel is particularly well equipped for families with its own creche, an indoor pool with separate swimming and play areas and a massive indoor play space that has many interesting things for children of different ages from a soft play area to indoor football and trampolines. Other family facilities include a special children's dinner which is included and a baby listening service through the hotel phone system so the adults can enjoy the excellent restaurant in the evening. In good weather there is a beautiful terrace and grounds around the house with more play areas to explore, and the hotel dog Snoopy is always at hand for a cuddle. Staff in the hotel and children's facilities are very friendly and helpful, only in the restaurant it's a bit mixed and they had to be reminded of dietary requirements several times. Overall a highly recommended hotel and a special recommendation for families.

Room Tip: For families there are rooms that are interlinked
2  Thank Tillmann L

Dear Tillmann L,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed so many of the facilities we have to offer.

We do hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Me and my fiancé visited Moonfleet Manor with the view to booking our wedding. Upon arrival we were stunned with the beauty and thought such a unique place would be perfect for our wedding. However, we then had to wait a full 45 mins for the manager to arrive to show us around. When he finally did arrive, he made it quite clear that he thought Moonfleet Manor was out of our price range.

He very briefly showed us around for a mere 10 minutes, not talking through any options or asking us about our big day at all. This is supposed to be the happiest and most exciting time of our lives and the way we were treated was disgusting. I will not be recommending this place at all.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hayley B

Dear HayleyB,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. Naturally, I am disappointed to hear this opinion, but I do remember the events in a very different way.

We try to show as much as we possibly can on showrounds, but this is dictated by business levels at the time. An average showround would take in the region of half an hour or possibly more, so I am sorry that your recollection is much less than this.

Our culture is one of inclusion and so we never make judgements about people who come and see us. Again, I am afraid that I disagree with your recollection.

I am sorry that you have the opinion that you have, but please accept our best wishes for your special day and thank you for your comments.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 26, 2013

It was great, we had a lovely time. Your staff are fantastic and we would not hesitate to come back. I thought the accommodation in the coach house worked brilliantly for a family of 5 and the Sunday morning breakfast club for the kids was genius. Thank you and we hope to return to Moonfleet sometime.

PS the crab cake was utterly delicious.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Neil C, General Manager at Moonfleet Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear R_L733,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay will us.

The crab cakes are one of our most popular dishes and chef has perfected them over a number of years. The recipe can be found on our facebook page if you want to give it a go at home!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I took our three children (1,4,6) for a break at the end of term. We had fantastic accommodation, 3 separate bedrooms, 2 bathrooms in the coachhouse. The whole experience was very relaxing (except for a few service issues which were addressed satisfactorily at the time). The hotel itself is great, with a wonderful crèche and 3 swimming pools of differing depths enabling my husband to take all 3 children swimming on his own. The location is so quiet and lovely. The food was good although it might be nice to have a few specials on in the evenings as we had the same menu five nights running. However, the children's supper at 5pm was genius - no ordering and waiting around for food to arrive but a wonderful hot buffet and pudding with excellent and healthy choices. This week has created wonderful memories for our family from playing cricket on the front lawn with our son (and other families joining in to field!) to watching our children run free with new found friends. Our six year old at the end of one of the days said "I think this has been the best day of my life" so sweet. Thanks Moonfleet we will definitely be returning.

Dear TillyG73,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your 6 days with us.

Thank you for your feedback regarding Dinner - We are working on our menu's to ensure that there is a wide choice of items so that guests staying more than a few nights have plenty of choices.

We hope to see you again in the future.