“Giant portions”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

THIS is both a review and a welcome warning that when a restaurant says "extra meaty" it may occasionally actually mean it.
We went to the Marquis to celebrate a wedding anniversary and it was very nearly my last such celebration. What a meal.
I ordered the aforementioned extra meaty rack of ribs......and when it arrived my wife burst out laughing.
The only other thing on the plate was a small portion of lettuce. All the other vegetables had to be delivered in separate containers because there was just no room left on what was a big plate.
The rack was enormous! As for extra meaty, it was all that and more, deliciously cooked with the meat just nicely moist not dry from being cooked too much.
Add to that an absolutely delicious mocha desert and my belt had to be let out a notch.
Three of us ate like royalty yet, even with drinks, the bill barely came to £55.
I would say pencil this eaterie into your dine-out diary but I should also add one more piece of advice. We booked and so should you. Food this good and in this quantity has inevitably attracted an ardent following.

There are newer reviews for Marquis of Granby

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The food was excellent and huge portions and the side salads were not just the normal lettuce and cucumber but included strawberries, passion fruit, sweet cherry tomatoes, etc. The staff were also very helpful and attentive. A very popular restaurant - busy even on a midweek night. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to any visitors to the area and we will certainly be going again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Really well cooked, well presented and tasty food. Family run pub so everything served with a smile. We will visit again.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Excellent food and service, it's a pity though that the sauces I.e. mustard, mayonnaise etc are in the plastic sachets which are a waste of time.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a lovely meal here on a busy Saturday night. We had booked on the Friday and it was a good job as the restaurant was very busy on our arrival. Always a good sign!

We were seated and ordered our drinks. The menu had a good selection to tempt all tastes. i went for the Steak in a peppercorn sauce and my partner a chicken in mushroom sauce. My dish was served with chips and my partner had new potatoes.

Both meals were very tasty and also provided good value. We were offered deserts which looked very appetising but declined as we were much to full. We had one course each and two alcoholic drinks and the bill came in just under £40.

This place is well worth a visit, and being one of our more local eateries we will be visiting here more often and recommending to friends and family.