“could do better”
Review of The Esplanade

The Esplanade
Ranked #46 of 166 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed at the Esplanade as we were badly let down on our day of departure by Booking.com. So it was an emergency purchase. Having traveled a lot across Europe and most recently in Normandy - British hotels/guest houses could take a leaf out of our continental friends books. Towel units which are not secured to the walls, peeling wall paper, dirty corners round the bath, lumpy pillows and a small room were really not value for money - perhaps the high price was just making money out of the Olympic ferver! A lick of paint here and there, tightening those screws into the wall, and hiding the ugly connections sticking out of the wall would make it a much better place to stay.

However I do have to say all the people we meet were very obliging and helpful, and the funky lights were cool; so keep this trend going and you will have a good place on your hands.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank endoftheday
Bonjournobob, Owner at The Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review The Esplanade and can I first apologise that it has taken me so long to respond to your review and secondly to say I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay as much as I would have liked.

To address your points may I first say that your bathroom was scheduled to have been completely refurbished prior to your stay but just as the plumber was finishing a previous bathroom, one of his key members of staff slipped with a stanley knife and severely cut his hand and fingers. This delayed the finishing of the previous bathroom and due to the reduced period of time we were unable to start your bathroom for fear of not being ready for the Olympics. Obviously we sought various other methods to get around this situation but there simply was not enough time. So if you had stayed as the bathroom is now, totally refurbished, I feel your experience may have been better.

However, there is no excuse for any lack of standards with regard to cleanliness and I only wish that you had mentioned this to me at the time and it could have been immediately addressed. With regard to the towel rail being loosely fixed to the wall, again I could have tightened the screw in one minute. The house is nearly two hundred years old and there is always something moving and needing fixing. With regard to the peeling wall paper in the bathroom, I can only say I sorry and that it was not meant to be there but the sparkling new porcelain tiles instead. The room has been repainted over the winter too.

I am sorry though I cannot do much about the size of the room although at over 15 square metres it's not poky. The larger rooms had already been booked in advance to your last minute booking.

I am glad you enjoyed the environmentally friendly lights and I will post new photos of the bathroom to show what we have done.

Thanks once again.

Rob
Proprietor

Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed in The Esplanade on the opening night of the Olympics. We never booked, we were knocking doors checking for rooms. When Rob answered the door,he was helpful and accomadating. After showing me the rooms he showed me the first floor lounge.

Rob told me about the events taking place in Weymouth that evening, taking extra time to print me off a list of the bands playing that night.

It seems that NOTHING is to much for ROB.

The rooms were to a very high standard, having just had the en-suit completed.

The bed was very comforable.

Breakfast was to a very high standard.

Room Tip: Make sure you book
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HandsomeDavies
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My first impression when I phoned for availability was that Rob was very helpful and welcoming,that impression stayed with us all through our stay in the Bellevue suite.From our arrival until we checked out Rob and his staff were friendly and obliging.
The breakfasts were delicious and plentiful,our rooms were well appointed but a little "tired" in a nice way.The view over Weymouth Bay is great,even in the rain.
Rob even arranged for the Olympic torch to pass in front of the Hotel on the morning of our departure !!
We will definately be back !

Room Tip: Seafront rooms are brighter
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at The Esplanade Hotel. The hotel is within 5-10 minutes walk to town and is opposite the beach. My room was clean, well presented and had a nice neutral decor. A tea/coffee making tray was provided, as was a hairdryer. My room was on the ground floor and had an easily accessible shower in the en-suite bathroom. The breakfasts were good with plenty of choice. The lounge on the first floor has great views over the bay and was a comfortable place to relax.  Nothing was too much trouble for Rob and his staff. They were all friendly and I was made to feel very welcome. I felt "at home" during my stay. I would give The Esplanade and it's staff 5 stars and I would recommend The Esplanade to anyone wanting to stay at a B&B in Weymouth.

Room Tip: Both ground floor rooms are at the back. Much quieter than those on the front. They are disabled fri...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Hotel and room was clean and comfortable with a beautiful sea view. Lovely breakfasts (a vast choice) and owner Rob, couldn't make us more welcome. Loved the little extras including toiletries, dressing gowns, etc. Thanks to Rob for looking after us, even being available to make a late breakfast for us when we had to attend the hospital for an emergency. Would definately like to make another visit in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2012

very enjoyable weekend in Weymouth made even better thanks to staying at the Esplanade.
Rob the owner was very friendly and helpfull. spacious, clean and comftable rooms, super breakfast with a extensive menu and a fantastic lounge area with honesty bar which we put to good use! many thanks to Rob and his hardworking and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carl R
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Really lovely hotel and super hosts. A nice change for business travel! Lots of personal touches which make for a really nice stay... will definitely come again if I'm ever that way in the future...

Room Tip: rooms are lovely, although light sleepers may prefer rooms at the back of the hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank charlotte S
Bonjournobob, Owner at The Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for taking time to leave feedback and I think you are correct that the back of the house is quieter than those rooms with the sea views. I am lucky, I could sleep if my bed was on fire so when I test the rooms, there aren't any I find noisy; which isn't the most helpful for guests haha.

I am glad that you had a good stay and I would love to see you again if you were ever travelling back this way.

Kind regards.