“Friendly efficiency”
Review of The Esplanade

The Esplanade
Ranked #44 of 166 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2011

From the minute I arrived, in the middle of a rainstorm, soaking wet, Rob was the perfect host.: both friendly and efficient. I arrived early and even though he was busy serving breakfast Rob quickly sorted me out with somewhere to dry off and a place to wait in comfort whilst my room was prepared. And this same friendly efficiency extended to Rob's young staff. Rob has recruited well and trained perfectly - well done to both him and them. Breakfast was superb - better than I can recall anywhere - including stays at many five star hotels (amongst them the wonderful Four Seasons, Hong Kong. Looking forward to my next stat!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed October 24, 2011

This was my third trip to stay with the Coles at the Esplanade and it did not disappoint. Everything was perfect, from the welcome we received to checking out. There is a real family feel to this hotel and that is just part of the magic. With beautiful rooms, views and a lounge to die for, this really is the perfect place to kick back and relax! SO much love and effort goes into the hotel and this really shows. I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Weymouth.

Room Tip: All of the rooms available are gorgeous, but the rooms with a sea view are simply breath-taking
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2011

A big thanks to Rob and Family. We only stayed for one night, but we were in a room overlooking the beach as promised, The room was spotless and had a bath and shower. Breakfast was amazing, Hubby had a full English (too many items to list) and I had smoked haddock and poached eggs cooked to perfection. The choice was endless even fresh friut was available.
Hope to visit again very soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed here for my friends 40th we had a great weekend, very friendly we were met by Rob and shown our rooms, very friendly. The honesty bar is a great idea somewhere to meet before heading out. The breakfast was lovely. We were all really relaxed by the end of our stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2011

It was like staying on top of a volcano. Don't know if they have a laundry business in the basement, but it was miserable trying to sleep, even with the window open. The room was very small and the cleaning left something to be desired - there were thick layers of dust under the furniture and behind the bathroom door. We both absolutely HATED the automatic sensor lights in the bathroom. If you were still for too long, say taking a bath, the lights shut off and leave you in complete darkness. So then you have to flap about waving your arms to get the lights to come back on. The breakfast was good, except for the tomatoes - they were tinned or boiled instead of grilled. Very odd. We're not partial to tomatoes with breakfast, so it wasn't important. The guest lounge was quite nice. Unless the accommodation were improved, we would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bonjournobob, Owner at The Esplanade, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

It is with regret that your stay was not as enjoyable at The Esplanade as is had by the majority of our other guests. I wish however that you had made your comments at the time of your stay so that I could have personally addressed, and hopefully rectified your complaints. It would have only taken a minute or two to have got housekeeping to re-vacuum your room for instance.

Starting with the temperature; I would like to instantly allay any fears that we are built on top of a volcano, and also that there is a laundry in the basement – neither of these assertions are true, and if it was, the laundry certainly would not be operating during the night preventing you from sleeping. I would also like to add that the central heating has not been used since April, and then only to take the cold edge off of the early mornings and the darker nights. The lower ground floor or ‘basement’ is the owners’ accommodation and all of our linen is collected, taken from the premises, and professionally cleaned by a local laundry. Fortunately, in July, we had some cracking weather with temperatures getting high and the sun shining for long periods. Many guests saw this as a bonus to a stay by the seaside. Unfortunately the by-product of sustained sunshine is an increase in temperature. Each room is equipped with a fan and an opening window however I have no control over how hard, or from which direction the wind is blowing. Sadly there is not enough room for air conditioning and I fear I would get more complaints from this notoriously inefficient manner of temperature control, the increased noise level as well as the ruined view of the car park. Also, I am sure the increased temperature was felt by the whole population of Weymouth during this period and not just the residents of The Esplanade. There were no other complaints from other guests incidentally.

With regard to the size of the room, I would not describe any of the rooms at The Esplanade as ‘very small’; even our single room is big enough to swing the ‘proverbial cat’ as well as house a bed, a comfortable chair, a wardrobe, chest of drawers and obviously en-suite facilities. Given that the house is nearly 200 years old, it is inevitable that not all rooms are the same shape or size however this is deemed by many as part of the charm and character of staying at an older residence. However, the dimensions of all rooms have been maintained so that beds are accessible from all sides and if you had mentioned that the room was too small during your stay or even when you were asked if ‘is this alright for you’ at the time of check-in, we could have swapped you to a larger room?

With regard to the automatic lights, these are seen by the majority of our guests as an improvement. Not only has our carbon footprint been reduced, by ensuring that internal bathroom lights are no longer left shining for hours on end, burning a hole in the ozone and increasing the temperature of the hotel, but environmentally it is a step in the right direction, something that society as a whole should be embracing. The timings on the sensors have been set to ensure that you can use the facilities in a perfectly normal way and that the lights do not turn off until at least four minutes after your last physical movement. Unless you are literally asleep in the bath, I do not think that you will have even noticed that your normal showering or toileting activities will have turned the lights out. In the day of the eco-tourist, I think the environmentally aware lights are an asset of the hotel and something that we should be proud of.

Concerning the ‘thick dust’, I am extremely sorry that you felt compelled to write this. All of our previous reviews have commented on how clean the house is and for your room to be ‘thick with dust’ is not the way things are done at The Esplanade. I find this very difficult to believe that our post cleaning checks will have missed this and since your comments, further checks have been carried out to ensure that this does not happen. No instances since have been noted since and the furniture continues to be moved regularly to ensure all those hard to reach spaces are kept dust free. However, if for any reason your room had been vacuumed a little quickly, then it would not have taken a moment to do it again, if you had brought it to my attention at the time.

I am also a little concerned, as well as puzzled, re your comments regarding breakfast; all of our reviews remark how wonderful breakfast is and for you to say that we have served you ‘boiled’ tomatoes is a little insulting. Tomatoes are served freshly grilled or Italian tinned, whatever your preference. If you were served ‘boiled’ then you would have had a plate of tomato soup, or passata? I can only think that you are mistaken and confusing us with another hotel (as you stayed 3 months ago) or you did in fact ask for tinned tomatoes and there was obviously some juice served with them, as is the customary way to serve tinned tomatoes.

I thank you for taking time to leave a review with Tripadvisor. We take all of our comments both seriously and personally and use them to strive for improvement and continual betterment of ourselves. Some projects take considerable time, effort, and money to implement but others, as in this case could have been addressed and rectified relatively quickly to everyone’s advantage at the time. I hope that this addresses the points that you raise but, if in the meantime you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Rob

Rob Cole
Proprietor

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Thankyou to Rob and his family , i shared my 40th with my friends here , and it fullfilled everything , clean , spacious , welcoming , not far from the centre , fantastic array of food , great breakfast , and a lovely shower. I have never been to a bed & breakfast before , where , upon leaving i dont want to saty anywhere else. Thankyou so much for a lovely time x

Room Tip: the ground floor with two doubles is lovely
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank natashayearley
Reviewed September 8, 2011

stayed for 3 nights with my husband and with other family members.Rob was great met us on arrival took bags upto room explained everthing and rob was available for any querys questions any time of the day.would recommend it to anyone i know who stays in weymouth my dad stays in weymouth three or four times a year never stayed here before but he defintley would next time.staff and waitresses for breakfast couldnt do enough for you and the food was fab!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family