“Nice hotel - great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Esplanade

The Esplanade
Ranked #34 of 170 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Surrey, England.
“Nice hotel - great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We spent 3 nights in room 7 which was a spacious room on the 2nd floor with good views over the beach and bay. Modern bathroom. Large flat screen TV, free WiFi, coffee, hairdryer, etc. Breakfasts were excellent with large choice. Location for sightseeing around town was perfect. Rob and staff were very friendly. Parking in old down-town Weymouth is scarce and expensive. Fortunately The Esplanade has 9 spaces but one could get blocked in so it is important to plan your complete day in advance if you need your car.

Room Tip: Quite a lot of traffic on the Esplanade so a high level room is probably best for noise, or one at t...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

To start, when we first arrived we met the owner Rob who was very welcoming, he gave us our key and said he would let us know when the room was ready which was great we went for a walk along the sea front came back before the room was ready so went up to the honesty bar which is a really good idea, if you have a drink or food you write it down and then they charge it to the room, the drinks were reasonably priced so was nice to have a drink and sit on the balcony and watch the world go by. Tea and coffee was stocked daily and room tidyed every morning which was really nice to come back too. We had plenty to last us to the following day.

When we got into the room it was amazing we had room 6 clarence with a 3 seater sofa our room was overlooking the seafront which was amazing to wake up to. I had asked for cava when we arrived to surprise my boyfriend and he loved it. The first morning i had arranged breakfast in bed which i had arranged the time and that was another surprise it came in on 2 trays and full english breakfast was gorgeous, all there breakfast is made fresh to order no buffet style help your self which was really nice. I will put pictures up of it.

There was so much going on around us putting golf on the greenhill gardens which was wicked and had beautiful views of the beach and coastline, the sealife centre which is 10 mins walk up the road from the hotel that had pitch and putt golf crazy golf go karting so much to do took us 2 days to get to do it all.

On the beach we went on a pedelo, and canoeing which was so much fun, we also went on the land train which stops outside the hotel on the esplanade. There was a fun fair near the pavillion which was cool. We went to the chinese restaurant across from the hotel which was amazing really tasty food one of the best that i have tasted. The tapas restaurant further down the sea front was really nice aswell.

At the back of the hotel was the parking which was a bit like musical cars but every morning rob put up a plan of the cars which reg make and what room the people were staying in so you could ask them at breakfast if you needed the car that day was a really good idea. Your room number is also the table you sit at for breakfast. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. We had such an amazing time the only problem we had was the noise of the road works because they are doing up weymouth ready for the olympics so theres alot of roadworks, it never really got in our way but it was noisy til about 11 at night, but we lived with it because the surroundings were amazing and we were up early so wasn't a big deal.

Room Tip: Room 6 Clarence over looking the sea beautiful big room plenty of space.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

After logging on to post my review of The Esplanade in Weymouth I have to say that I don't recognise the hotel as described by the previous reviewer.
We are a family of 3 returning to The Esplanade for the 2nd year. Being greeted on arrival by the owner Rob is a refreshing experience, he is passionate about Weymouth and the service his hotel provides and this is apparent from the moment you meet him. The hotel website is packed with information on things to do and see, with Rob and his staff being more than happy to suggest outings and give directions over their delicious breakfasts.
Our room this year was a sea view one after having stayed in a room at the back of the hotel last year and we found both rooms to be equally comfortable. Since our last visit the team at the Esplanade have begun to update the bathrooms in the hotel and we had a lovely new bathroom to enjoy during our stay with bath and a large shower. A clean and comfortable cot with bedding was also provided for our young son at no extra cost.
We found the availability of parking at the hotel a real bonus, especially considering the prime location of this hotel in a busy seaside resort and it should be noted that the hotel do not charge additionally for this facility. The layout of the car park does mean that on occasion guests are asked to move their cars to let other people out but this is managed well with a list being provided in the foyer of who is currently parked where and all it took was a polite ask over breakfast and we were able to get our car out for a day trip with no problem whatsoever.
And now on to the breakfasts which are fantastic. Fresh coffee and toast for each table as they arrive with Juice, croissants, yoghurt's, fruit and local jams available to help yourselves to. The cooked breakfast menu is extensive offering from a full English to boiled egg and soldiers. The food is of an exceptional standard at the Esplanade.
The guest lounge is a well thought out addition to the customer experience, it is light, airy and comfortable with a well stocked fridge of refreshments which is much welcomed after a busy day!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the hotel, it provides good, clean and comfortable accommodation and I think its safe to say that its the friendly and welcoming nature of the host Rob which seals its 4 star award. We will be returning for many years to come.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Shepshed, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were greeted on Friday afternoon by a sandal-footed gentleman who showed us to our rooms. We had only one bedside table (there may not have been enough room to get one each side of the bed), there was a tap handle coming out of the wall in one corner (photo 1), a hole in the wall plaster (photo 2), a piece of floorboard missing under the carpet, the wall wasn’t straight (photo 3) and there was a hole torn (and ironed) in the quilt (photo 4). The bathroom flooring was unhygienic carpet and the toilet was green from the cleaner that had been left in it. Photo 5 shows its condition after being flushed. The chromed towel shelf was rusty (photo 6; the black is the camera lens) and the grouting round the bath had failed (photo 7). On our last day, Sunday, we awoke to find there was no milk for our morning cuppa. The advertisements implied rooms overlooked the sea, but ours overlooked the car park at the back of the hotel. Our room doorframe was shared with the neighbouring room, which was ok for us as our families went to bed and got up for breakfast about the same time, but if you have room 9 and room 8 are late to bed or early to rise you will have an uncomfortable time. There are more rooms than car park spaces, so car shuffling is necessary at times. Due to the heat, our window had to be left open, so we were lulled to sleep by the sound of shouting drunks and woken by the sounds of screeching seagulls.

Now the good points. There was a lounge on the first floor overlooking the esplanade, with drinks, magazines and a television. The breakfasts were excellent. If the AA system was 8 stars, it would get 4/4 for food and 0/4 for the rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bonjournobob, Owner at The Esplanade, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
I am bitterly disappointed that you did not leave The Esplanade having had maximum enjoyment as most of our other guests appear to do; I only wish that you had aired your grievances at the time of your stay so that I could have personally dealt with your problems.

To address the points you make, and there are many, I will start with your booking. The person organising your group trip away (not you) booked rooms on the back of the house, and not those overlooking the sea. Obviously all the rooms cannot be on the front of the house with sea views. The back rooms are cheaper and this is what was booked. Although your room may have overlooked the car park, it was private, three storeys up, and not overlooked by any other building.

Re the car park, parking in Weymouth as many people will tell you, is infamously difficult. We are very very lucky to have nine off-road parking spaces on the back of the hotel. I am also able to guarantee you a space at the time of booking, unlike other establishments where it is on a 'first come, first served basis'. As this is guaranteed at the time of booking, it is also explained how the car park system works in that the nine spaces are three behind three behind three, and that there is a game of 'musical cars' every morning at breakfast time. You only park your vehicle when you have finished with it for the day and this way everybody is happy. This process of shuffling cars has served us well for many years and continues to serve us well. Given the constraints of small roads and buildings which were erected in the 1830s, there is no room for a multi-storey car park or an NCP (unfortunately) at the back of the house.

I would also like to apologise for uneven or even wonky walls. I am only surprised that you showed only one photo! Given that the house is nearly two hundred years old, it is my belief that there is certainly nothing straight in the house. In fact the floors of the dining room and the lounge (one bright point from your review) bow so much that the front legs of the furniture are a good 40-50mm higher than the back ones. This, to many is the appeal and character of an 1830s Georgian sea front hotel, that let's face it, whose foundations are built on a beach.

Try as I do, I encourage good weather for Weymouth as much as I can. And yes, one ‘awful’ by-product is the sunshine and the heat. Each room is equipped with opening windows and also a fan. Sadly there is not enough room for air conditioning and I fear I would get more complaints from this notoriously inefficient manner of temperature control, the increased noise level as well as the ruined view of the car park. With regard to the 'shouting drunks' personally I cannot do anything about this save say that there will be far fewer revellers enjoying some Weymouth fine weather and maybe a drink or two at our end of the seafront than at the other end of The Esplanade. I am sure there are many hoteliers particularly closer to the emptying clubs who would gladly swap locations with me. I do not honestly know what to say about the seagulls except what do you expect to see near the sea? I don't mean that in a cheeky manner but the guest house is effectively on the beach where there is also blowing sand and crashing waves (on occasions). For any future guests, these too can make a noise.

Re the hole in the wall, again many apologies and this truly is a legitimate complaint. It should have been fixed prior to the complaining guests staying but due to the high level of guests at the minute, it was felt that the room would be repaired when we had no one booked in to it for fear that the smell of drying polyfilla and new paint would cause complaint. I do not honestly feel it would have ruined the enjoyment of the room but yes it should have been filled and if it had, it would not be sat proudly on the front page of this website. It has been now. Similarly, the hole in the duvet cover. This is very unfortunate and I am disappointed if this was missed by the chambermaids as they always return ripped, stained or damaged linen to the reject bag. I am equally disappointed that I have a massive hole in one of my king size Egyptian cotton duvet covers. However, this could have been addressed in moments, with an immediate replacement from the linen cupboard downstairs if it was mentioned during the stay. I can only think that it got caught by someone during the stay and the hole was opened up.

The stop tap in the corner of the room is also an unfortunate by-product of the way the house has evolved from a residence to a guest house. I have had no complaints from numerous previous guests prior to this. We are currently in the process of upgrading all of our bathrooms and it will soon be replaced once the new system has been tried and tested - we have recently laid a new mains pipe from the lower ground floor, right up to the loft of the third floor, effectively six storeys, in order to enhance the water pressure for the guests’ bathrooms. Once this is found to be working correctly, and tested for the summer, the stop tap will be removed and a less obtrusive isolation valve will be fitted. As well as the new water mains, new bathrooms have been fitted in rooms 3, 6, 7, 10 and 11 (some minor fittings still to be finalised) with rooms 1 and 2 earmarked for after the main season in September (or before - bookings dependent), and rooms 4, 5, 8 and 9 in October. As well as complete new bathroom furniture, shower baths and concealed cisterns with back to wall toilets, there are new wooden floors and floor to ceiling porcelain tiles. Pictures of the new bathrooms will be added to this site and also to a popular social media site so that you can see some of the work that has been carried out to date. The 'unhygienic' yet extremely clean carpet, along with the bath and other furniture, will be replaced in the next quarter. The prices of the rooms with bathrooms yet to be refurbished are currently cheaper than those that have not been. I cannot apologise for having clean, fresh smelling toilet bowls. Quality cleaners are used in the toilet pans so that the bathroom is left feeling fresh for longer and that the cleaner is not lost after just one flush. In my book, I thought that this was a good thing?

Re the lack of milk for tea; if the milk resources were depleted, there is somebody on sight all night to replenish this; all you have to do is ring the bell, 24 hours a day. Failing this, my business card is handed to you at check in and you are free to telephone at any minute to help with any problem, however trivial, 24 hours a day whether it is that you have run out of milk, we have wonky walls or there is an uneven floor. Excess milk, tea, coffee and sugar has now been placed in the lounge so that if guests do run out of milk etc, and do not want to trouble myself for more, they can help themselves from the bar. The stocks are replenished at least once daily, but if depleted, the service bell will have to be pushed.

Similarly I can only apologise for placing a fire door between your door and the stairwell. Yes the 'corridor' is more the size of a cloakroom but these guest houses were once 'Gentlemen's residences' and have evolved in to guesthouses over the years. With changing fire regulations and the safety of our guests of paramount importance, it is unfortunate but the doorways will be close together. They are also fitted with the most up to date intumescent strips and seals and have been inspected by the fire officer.

I enjoy my job and I love my guesthouse, and to get a review as disappointing and as damaging as this is very upsetting. We are constantly striving to reinvest in the guesthouse and take full account of all customer feedback. However, it is even more disappointing that the issues were not raised during their stay and that they left without mentioning any of their displeasure. Many of these points could have and should have been resolved both speedily and amicably. Similarly, at the time of booking, I am consciously transparent re any items that I think may be an issue – in particular the parking. This is also accentuated at check in.

I am glad that the breakfast was enjoyed; I work hard to source local, quality ingredients and to employ local people.

All that leaves is to answer the guests' overriding question, 'How do we get four stars?' All I can say is that I work very hard all year round. I am constantly looking to do things better or to provide extra quality and we are of course always inspected by the AA hotel inspectors on an annual basis. They have always been very pleased with the work we have been doing and in the direction The Esplanade is moving; so pleased in fact that this year we were shortlisted for the Welcome Host of the Year award. I hope that this addresses the points that were raised. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me and please do not let this put you off staying. As you can see we have had many good reviews and I feel that this type of review and necessary management response will be few and far between.

Rob

Rob Cole
Proprietor and flip flop wearer (apologies)
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

My husband an I booked in to this hotel as a last minute decision after being disappionted by the hotel we had originally been booked in to.

We arrived at about 10pm and was greated by Rob, the very firendly and helpful owner / manager, he showed us the room he had available but was also more that willing to tell us of other nice hotels in the area if we did decide not to stay there. We decided to stay after he showed us the room. It was gorgeous, a lovely big bed and a hugh window leading to a balcony with a sea view. A lady called Carla checked us in and she too was very helpful. We settled in quickly and made our way through to the "honestly abr" which was right next door to our room (which by the way did not disturb us once). The bar was fully stocked with drinks, crisps, chocolate and ice cream and you help yourself and just write down what you have had. It gave the hotel such a laid back and friendly atmosphere.

The next morning we went down for breakfast and had so much choice. There was juice, yogurts, cereals, fresh fruit and all sorts presented very nicely and ready for you to help yourself. Then a waitress came over and took our order for our cooked breakfst which was very very nice!!

The hotel was quiet and relaxed. We were never disturbed and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We will hopefully be coming back very soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JenM1985
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

The esplande in Weymouth has to be one of the best Bed and Breakfast establishments if not in weymouth but in any major seaside resort, nothing was to much trouble for the staff, carrying our bags up to the highest room, to helping to park the cars in an area which is undergoing major roadworks, the room was clean, spacious, comfortable, bed linen and towels that was provided was excellent the food was freshly cooked and the staff always had a smile and a friendly greeting, if you are looking for a B&B in Weymouth you have to choose the esplanade the rates for the room are not overly inflated to take advantage of School holidays and are very fairly set a fine place to stay, charming and full of period features, a highly recommended place to stay anytime, a big thanks to all the staff and owners at the Esplanade and we will look forward to our visit in August.

Room Tip: Contact the owner when you arrive to arrange parkg
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Marknf
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

Our internet search of hotels on the seafront led to the website for The Esplanade. The pictures on the website capture Weymouth at it's best and most of these views are available from the hotel itself! (They are also pictures taken by the proprietor of the hotel!)

Our stay was peaceful, relaxing and exceeded our expectations in every way. The hospitality was first class right from the warm and friendly welcome and throughout our entire stay.. The room was very clean and comfortable, the lounge which overlooks the sea, was spectacular and the breakfast was absolutely out of this world. I could not rate this hotel any higher if I wanted to. Rob and Terri's hard work and dedication are clear in the presentation, maintenence and comfortable feel in the hotel. It has a warm, homely feel to it and is a true credit to the Cole family.

This hotel is perfect for holidays or short stays, for groups, couples and families. In short, it is perfect. I can't thank Rob and co enough for such a pleasant stay. I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed March 2011