“super hotel”

Ranked #144 of 165 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“super hotel”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

the Berkeley hotel is a great place to stay,we were with a coach party of 35 plus people, we were made very welcome by the hotel staff and management ,nothing was too much trouble for them.
The food was allways fresh, hot,and of good quality also a good selection was available for both breakfast and dinner.We enjoyed the quiz,,bingo and the entertainment nightly.We will certainly return to this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Gloria S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
jersey
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Arrived sunday 23rd december for 4 night christmas package.

Had to buzz tobe let into hotel as recepionist was on lunch (The Cook let me in!!)

When saw receptionist later to pay for stay was charged for 5 nights (last night had been cancelled weeks early). They did refund one night overcharge.

Went in for evening meal and from then on we had to order the next meal. Looks like kitchen can't cope with meals being ordered at the same meal time!!!

Leaving early on the 27th December I decided to pop to reception on boxing day afternoon to see about leaving key in safe place. Went reception 4 or 5 times noboby about and even buzzed for member of staff. Nobody came. When left hotel next morning just left key on reception side of desk. Not sure if they do employ a receptionist!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank oleJersey

Travelers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

the Berkeley hotel was way above our expectations the room (number 6) was spotlessly clean, sheets looked and felt new, the whole room may well have just been redecorated ( to a high standard ) the bed was for me personally very comfortable, with a good firm pillow and a spare in the wardrobe if needed , the toilet was fresh and again spotless,good sized shower area, the sink maybe a little small, I had to be careful when rinsing my face after a shave in case I knocked my head on the tap, maybe two teabags and two sachets of coffee per day is a tad mean when you are a couple I know you can buy more at reception for 5p each but all in all another 3 or 4 of each would be good ?. All in all the presentation of the Berkeley and it's rooms deserve full marks.... meals , very good, food was warm and fresh a varied choice of starters and main plus sweets was very acceptable and a abundance of tea or coffee all served by uniformed waiters and waitresses who were very attentive making sure you were looked after, bar and entertainment top class .just go holidays have for us struck gold again. date of stay 19th/ oct /22nd

Room Tip: choose a room not on the ground floor as you will be wakened by deliveries at 7-730 am and people wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank catskittens
Wales
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Four of us arrived on a coach trip and were quickly booked in and given our rooms. The rooms were clean with 'views' of the rooftops, but were difficult to access. It was not possible for two people to be outside their rooms and unlock the doors at the same time.
I accept the unusual idea of ordering breakfast and dinner at the previous meals, but was unable to understand why, after being shown your tables on the first night, adults had to wait outside the dining room for every meal before being allowed in.
The dinner on our first night was acceptable and we ordered full breakfasts for the following morning. When we were allowed in at 8.30am, our table already had the juice and tea and coffee ordered the night before. By 9.00am we were still waiting for our cooked breakfasts, in spite of the fact that other guests had been served with their cereals and their cooked breakfasts. When I went out to enquire about our meals, I was asked by the person in charge if we had ordered the night before. I then explained that we had been waiting since 8.30 and asked why we could not have been served our meals when other guests had their cereals, I was told "this is the way we do it here!" in a very rude and abrasive manner. This was compounded by the attitude of the boy who came to ask for our selection for the evening meals.
To sum up, it just seemed as if we were back in the fifties at a seaside boarding house, and although some of the staff ie the receptionist were very good, the attitude of a few certainly let the hotel down very badly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jan L
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a good weekend break (22/24 Sept) at the Berkeley Hotel with Harry Shaw, with a good welcome on arrival given the keys and cases were put in your room very quickly.
All areas and rooms were in good condition (they were redecorated towards to end of last Year). Meal times are: Breakfast 8:30 am and Dinner at 6 pm, the dining area and Bar/entertaining are on the lower ground floor.
Breakfast was very good with good selections and was served hot, some waitress's had gloves on as the plate and food was hot. You were asked to tell your waiter what you wanted for evening meal (Menu is on the table when you sat down), and at evening meal again you were asked what you wanted for Breakfast.
As I am a Coeliac, - Gluten free food, the Hotel catered very well - I just brought my own bread for toasting and frying which they did. They have Gluten free soups and gravy which was very good, all the waiters knew I was a Coeliac (had been briefed by management - as they knew at time of booking). Waiter staff greeted you before you sat down, at all times - Breakfast / Dinner. When going through the Menu they told me what I could not have...as a Coeliac, but gave you other options.
The food was cooked to perfection and during the meal they came around with any extras if you needed any more.
The service in the Dining room was spot on, very well organised, the best porridge I have eaten, when I asked about the Gluten Free, they use Heinz Gluten Free soups and Morrison's Gluten Free porridge. The Waiters said that they have a few people each week which need Gluten Free food and are well conversed with their needs.
Make sure you tell the Hotel of your needs etc at time of booking or your travel agent.
Our room (1) was on the ground floor it had high ceiling ample cupboard space, tea maker, hair drier. TV. Bathroom was clean and had a shower. The room was a few steps away to the stairs down to the Dinning room, the room was clean and was the linen, beds were nice & comfy had good nights sleep, room had neutral Décor.
Room was warm as the Kitchen was nearly underneath... there is a Kitchen Ventilation fan which comes on just before meal times for a short time which you can hear. The lift is next door, again you can just hear a hum when it is use, did not really notice it, even in the late evening.
Shops were about 5 minutes walk away, and the beach just over the road. There is a small Café close by, the owners moved from Earlsdon in Coventry to Weymouth last year to set up the 123 Café - they will welcome anybody from Coventry to call in.

Yes, we will be back, next time for a longer stay - could not fault the service, food or the Hotel, many people in coach party also said that!!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 7 are closest to the Dining room. - Down the stairs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Radioham16
Atherstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My partner and I went on a Harry Shaw coach trip to this hotel Bank Holiday weekend. We had a room with a seaview - which was lovely with beautiful views across the bay - we found the staff to be very helpful and couldn't do enough for us-the food was excellent

I didnt want to leave on the Sunday could have stopped the week

I recommend this hotel

Room Tip: seaview rooms excellent
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We enjoyed our 1 night stay at the Berkeley Hotel, it is right on the seafront and has stunning views of Weymouth Bay.
However - I would say this Hotel is more like a Guest House, our room was spacious and clean (with hair dryer, tea/coffee/biscuits, tv, shamoo/shower gel in the bathroom).
I cannot rate the food as we ate out and missed breakfast which is served at 8.30am.
The staff seemed friendly enough, there is a bell to ring at reception and we were never kept waiting for more than a few seconds.
I did notice there were no door hangers to say whether you wanted room service or not, the maid just walked straight into our room at approx 8am (without knocking but did apologise), I think it would be a good idea to have these, I think this is the first hotel I have stayed at where they have not had them.
The hallways/lift could do with a bit of refurbishment, seemed quite 'shabby' and dark but I have no complaints about this hotel and would consider staying again if I was in the area. Ideal for a 1 night stay, would probably go else-where if it was for longer.
Location is very good, only a 2-3 minute walk into town.

Room Tip: ask for a sea-view room!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple