“Great Stay”

Ranked #102 of 165 Weymouth B&B and Inns
St. Helier, United Kingdom
“Great Stay”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stopped here from Friday to Monday i found the staff welcoming and the room was lovely,
I would stop at The Royal Oak again.....Thanks for a very pleasurable stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2010

Nice clean comfortable room, spacious bar area and pleasant patio area to the rear with a shelter, belly buster of a breakfast, helpful and pleasant staff. Don't know if the ongoing preparations for the 2012 Olympics are causing it but traffic around the harbour area can be pretty manic at times.
The Oak has parking to the rear and parking at the front is unrestricted, with a little patience a space will appear as users of the local shops leave, from the Oak it is only a short walk (5/10 mins) to the sea front and all amenities, so in my opinion it is pretty much hassle free & convenient.
I would definitely go to The Royal Oak again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Guernsey
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed for one night. We arrived on the ferry from Guernsey which had been delayed for an hour. Jane the landlady assurred me that arriving at this time of night was ok. We drew up to an old traditional pub, very scarey looking from the outside. Jane was there to greet us, so were a few of the locals still sitting at the bar and outside in the garden area. Our room was out the back in the newly decorated barns. It was lovely and spacious, however no hairdryer. I was concerned about the pub customers still in the garden at this time of night, had we arrived earlier, who knows how many would have still been there. Breakfast was awful. I'm sure it had all been placed in the deep fat fryer. Breakfast was in the pub (i'm sure the smoking ban hasn't arrived in these premises yet!!), the place stunk of cigaretts, there as a small dog running around whilst we were eating. The bar is very neglected and seriously needs a coat of paint, and new furniture. We paid £90 room only and £10 each for breakfast. We even parked our car out in the street.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
corsham
Reviewed August 31, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Oak on the Sunday of the August Bank Holiday weekend 2010.Our room was beautiful and spacious. We had been lucky enough to be put into one of the new rooms at the back of the pub and it had only been in use for 4 weeks.

The car-park at the rear is very small and poor parking by other guests meant only 3 cars could be accomodated..

My main problem with the Royal Oak was that I mistakenly thought I had booked it on a Bed & Breakfast basis , but when we got there we found it was room only. Curiously the invoice says 'Enjoy your full English Breakfast'.

We decided to have and pay for our breakfast. The cooked breakfast is simply that and Tea/Coffee. There are no Cereals, Fruit Juice, Toast&Conserves .... etc.

At £90 for a double room, I put this stay at the upper end of the price range that I expect for a night in a pub B&B. Paying this for 'Room Only' is simply not value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We (myself, husband and teenage son) stayed here for just one night as we had an appointment in Weymouth early on a Monday morning. We were very pleasantly surprised by the lovely clean, spacious room and very friendly welcome by all of the staff. We stayed in one of the annex rooms with an en suit bathroom and it was idea for us. My husband and son also enjoyed the pool table and both remarked how friendly the 'locals' were!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Reading
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We arrived at the hotel, the outside space which we walked through to the bar looked lovely and I was very hopeful of for our room. However we were led upstairs passed the landlords lounge/ living area and we were barked at by two small dogs. The barman/ receptionist pointed out our "private bathroom" and then showed us our room. On leaving he also pointed out to us our "shared toilet" with the bedroom next door.
At this point we felt slightly conned as the room description said "private shower room" which we interpreted as en-suite. Especially for £80 a night. Then the guests from the room next door arrived. I assume they were staying in a family room (2 adults 2 kids) the rooms are not soundproof, the doors are very heavy and loud when closing, you can hear people in the toilets and in the corridors. We were woken up at 6am by 2 children- they should not have to be careful if loudness they are on school holidays, the rooms should just have better sound proofing. Overall the hotel was disappointing. We were due to stay for 3 nights, but managed less than 24 hours.

• Stayed August 2010
London
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Being a fussy person I am particular in where I choose to stay. Having seen this place on the website I was convinced it was just right. Great location, comfortable and very clean rooms and a great bar. The breakfast was equally as good, I must have proper sausages and I was not dissappointed. It is great that they have a room available if you have pets too. Highly recommend it and will be to anyone I know going that way

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple