“Not what it seems!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 170 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not what it seems!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had three days here, paying £95 per night for a double room at what looked like a nice hotel. The room had a double bed and a triple bunk bed with a shower that was not totally clean and very small. After complaining we did get a double room at a small discount which we were satisfied with. However, on our journey home we were called and told we had left without paying, when we had paid cash on the morning of booking in. The excuse for forgetting this was that she was busy and had forgotten. This is very poor management in my eyes. Would not stay again. The house keeper was very helpful and accommodating during our stay.

Room Tip: Visit first and don't pay the balance until you have seen the room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
sulzc, Owner at Acqua Beach Weymouth, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Peter,
I'm sorry to have received this review, as I did believe we had resolved this after our phone calls. I have apologised profusely about attempting to double charge you, fortunately your credit card was declined. As I stated, I have been working ridiculously long hours over the summer season with weeks without a day off and I am not excusing my behaviour, but I did think the reason went some way to explaining why the error had occurred. It was resolved immediately.
I also explained why I gave you what I considered to be a superior room with two beautiful Georgian windows over looking the sea, rather than the smaller room next door, with one window, which you said you were happy with.
Best regards,
Charlotte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

On arrival at aqua beach we was very impressed by the modern decor and friendly welcome.
Stayed in room 9 which on opening the door there's a very bad mouldy damp smell. The room is small but fine for a couple. The shower room smelt had stains on the carpet around the toilet as when flushed the toilet leaked. Mildew was also on and around shower screen and shower head was full with limescale too!

The net curtain were stained the curtain where hanging off the curtain rail and there's mildew in the corner on the windows.

On dropping my moisturiser under bed bed, it was absolutely filthy. Crisp packet bits of food and a child's sock not to mention the amount of dust and dirt.

Breakfast was very nice but small.

Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to have received this review, I wish you had spoken to me at the time. I'm glad you had a lovely welcome, we pride ourselves on our customer service.
I take any complaints very seriously, particularly ones with regards to cleanliness. The day that you posted this review, I spoke at length to housekeeping and all the beds in all the rooms have been pulled out and cleaned under. The toilet was apparently leaking from the cistern which fills the bowl, please note that this was fixed immediately I was advised about it. I'm very surprised to see your comments about the shower head, we don't suffer any limescale here as we have a water softener, I have asked housekeeping to report back on this.

I'm also very surprised to see your comments about breakfast being small. At breakfast, guests can help themselves to a selection of fruit juices, fruit, yoghurts and cereals. There's tea, coffee or hot chocolate and as much toast as you can eat, plus a Full English breakfast.... if you can eat more than that, I'd be astonished.

I do hope that this response is helpful, but please in future speak to management immediately if there's an issue.

Best regards,
Charlotte
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Me and my partner visited weymouth for the seafood festival and stayed at Acqua beach. When we arrived, we were a bit early but had a lovely warm and friendly welcome from Charlotte, who gave us a permit so that we could park right next to the b&b. We had room 7 which was lovely and spacious, a double bed, a single bed, 3 sets draws and a big wardrobe so there was plenty of space for all our stuff. En suite very nice and a trendy shower, the pressure was not the best and the shower did rock a little, but not a big problem. Breakfast was lovely, nice full breakfast and toast, and cereals on offer also, all lovely. We couldn't get breakfast one morning as everything in the kitchen had been turned off (breakfast served 8.30 till 9.30, we cam down at 9am), but we had some toast and tea and coffee and it was fine. The cocktails are delicious, really really nice, especially the woo woo!! Lovely atmosphere and lovely clean b&b, the location is amazing!! If we come back to Weymouth we would defiantly stay again, but we would ask for room 6, as we did have a peak in when the door was left open and it looks beautiful and has a balcony and a amazing view of the sea. I would and will recommend Acqua beach to anyone i know visiting.

Room Tip: Room 6 looks stunning!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, we're so glad you enjoyed your stay at AcQua Beach, I would definitely recommend Rooms 5 and 6 with the balconies, room 5 has two big windows overlooking the sea.
I think you must have been misinformed about the breakfast times, 8-9am Mon-Fri and 8.30-9.30am on weekends and bank holidays. Sorry about that... usually I would have been persuaded to cook you a breakfast slightly later, sorry but I wasn't asked.

If you come back again, try the Ginger Daiquiri or the Thunder Apple Pie cocktails, I make all the sugar syrups from scratch... they rock :)

See you soon

Best regards
Charlotte and the team
Dorking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at the Acqua Beach Hotel this weekend for 2 nights in 2 twin rooms. The rooms were clean and tidy with basic tea and coffee making facilities and a fully functional tv. The bathrooms were large and very clean. Sadly the drain was blocked in the shower which made it a bit yukky but that's easily fixed - hopefully it has been. We had 2 good nights sleep and had a perfectly acceptable breakfast the next day. Lovely homemade marmalade :-) The staff here were lovely, particularly Darcy and Daisy. Their cocktails were yummy! This is a good bed and breakfast, clean and tidy, nothing fancy and right in the seafront. Also, it's very close to the the station so great if that's how you are travelling.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Was promised lots by the owner and it never happened and we needed help, but if it hadn't been for a passer by, another resident and a neighbour we would have been in a real mess.

Add to that curtains falling off pole and couldn't be closed at night. Three coat hangers in wardrobe one being a child's, one toilet roll and no spare, and the very "Dr Who" shower that has no water pressure and actually rocks when you stand in it cos it isn't fastened to the wall.

Decided to try cocktail and wasn't made to feel welcome in bar either.

Was promised lots and sadly it delivered nothing.

Room Tip: A superior room is far from superior
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rosie1962
sulzc, Owner at Acqua Beach Weymouth, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your review and I'm sorry you say you were very let down and needed help. This help you required, and didn't ask for at the time was with the mobility scooter that you hired whilst you were staying in Weymouth. I have only had one previous guest with a scooter such as this, and if you had asked, I would have helped to carry it in. I am 5'7, female of slight build and as such, I cannot lift a heavy scooter alone. I thought your scooter would have been the type that fits in a car boot. I would have enlisted the help of another staff member if you had asked, which you clearly did.
You had our superior sea view room with balcony, which is pictured. I wasn't aware there were so few hangers in the wardrobe, we've filled it up now, as we would have done if you had asked, for this, or another toilet roll. We really do aim to please, and I'm sorry you didn't feel you were welcomed in the bar. I thought you were really nice guests....Your suggestion of converting the car park into a mobility scooter park probably isn't going ahead.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Very warm welcome and all staff friendly. Room was clean. Is trying to be more than a b&b with a cocktail bar but has a way to go before it could be called a boutique hotel. Coffee in the room was not replaced when it was cleaned. No peppermint tea available at breakfast. Breakfast is OK nothing special. There is nothing majorly wrong just nothing that makes it standout. Also no WiFi-

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We booked before the recent reviews and based our choice on the hotel's own website. If they had said they were a basic B&B I would not be complaining, but it is annoying to be mislead.
It is exactly as the travellers photos show and as poor as the other bad reviews. I have nothing to add that is positive.
I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: What can I say ? We were "Upgraded" to room 10 what was the down grade like?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family