“Nice location” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Richmoor Hotel
Ranked #93 of 170 Weymouth B&B and Inns
“Nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Mini break with 2 children and my dog. Friendly welcome nice big family room breakfast all you can eat was awesome! 5 minute stroll to the harbour. Would recommend if Weymouth is on your places to visit.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Arunro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Yeovil, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I booked in here and upon arrival was unable to find a parking space behind the hotel even though one was booked, so managed to get a space further down the road.
On ringing the door bell and waiting 10 minutes a man appeared let me in. On entering the hall the smell of damp was overpowering (and I have no sense of smell). On enquiring about car space was handed a permit with room keys and told car would be fine.
Once my partner and I were in room the smell of damp and stale cooking fat was overpowering. The room was small but was clean, but on going to use the towels provided they stank of damp. So much so put all of them outside the door !!!!!!
We decided to go out to eat as bar/lounge was like a school canteen but filled with game consoles and tv's and a school party playing them. On returning (although not wanting to) was met with another odour of fish to accompany the others. We decided then and there that enough was enough and left.
On going back to return key and permit was met by a rude and abrupt woman who listened to my list of complaints but wasn't bothered, offered no refund just turned and walked away.
Do not be fooled by the look of this hotel, we have stayed in many, and this by far is the worst. A shed would be cleaner and less smelly and more welcoming

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mandyminx2

Travelers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

I purchased a groupon voucher to stay at this hotel with my Mum. When we arrived, the lady who presumably owns it, welcomed us very politely and issued us with the parking permit. I was not too fussed about the parking facilities as we are both able bodied and we could see my car from our room. We had a room on the first floor, 101, I believe. The room is not too bad, but the 'double' bed is in fact a three quarter bed and would only get 2 people in the bed if they were tiny. The heating in the room was awful. I don't think that heater had been on for years. The features were ok, some were in need of a refresh but the television was adequate. The bathroom, however, was a different story. The toilet did not flush properly and often it took 2/3 attempts to flush even a number 1! the shower was, like many others have said, woeful. It took ages to wash my hair and there was no where to dry our towels, other than hanging them off the door which had not been dusted since it was fitted, presumably.
The food was adequate. As part of our deal, we had a 3 course meal which was actually very tasty but the breakfast was very greasy and often lacking in taste.
The waiter we had was very intrusive and made us both feel quite uncomfortable. He insulted what I do for a job (law) and proceeded to tell me about his life and how awful it was. Not really the kind of light hearted conversation you normally get in restaurants. Also, he asked rather personal questions which was very off-putting. He was like this with all the guests, and most of them reacted the same way we did and their body language was uncomfortable. I also don't think the restaurant or the staff that work there are very hygienic. One 1 occasion, we went for breakfast and noticed that there were peas/carrots on the floor from the previous day so god only knows how 'clean' and 'tidy' the kitchen is.
It was ok for the price we paid. Had we paid any more, then I would have been really annoyed.
Worth a stay if you don't mind slumming it, as it's in a good location, especially if you have young children.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Amyw23_93
Aylesbury
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Originally I was going to write a mediocre report after my first experience. However I returned for another meal which turned out to be the worst I have ever experienced. I am ex army and have eaten in places where the table has been made up of planks and oil-drums and even an open-air restaurant in the middle of a farm yard, but I can honestly say this was the worst I have ever had. I went for the carvery meal. Chef re-heated the pork! and the vegetables should have been removed from the hot plate at least 2 hours prior. The chef even commented that they were past their best. The chef from the previous occasion even made up a salad to my wife's preferences and the carvery on that night was palatable. So it may all depend on when you go and who is on duty. Personally I would avoid it all together. Why did I go back? It was the only restaurant within my limited walking distance. The only other option would have been for my wife to push me in my wheelchair.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Magic-IanRoy
Westbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

Avoid this hotel at all costs unless you want to smell of old chip fat. Room A3 above the kitchens was the room my parents were staying in and they didn't sleep at all in the two nights they were there. This was, as my dad put it Fawlty Towers without the laughs.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Artylad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

After reading some terrible reviews we were a little worried about staying at this hotel. We stayed for 2 nights mid-week with a Groupon voucher. The hotel wasn't as bad as we thought it would be, it is in a good location for the beach, shops and not too far from the harbour. We stayed in room 202, it was small but it was clean, presentable, it had fresh towels, toiletries, a kettle, small TV, alarm clock and a double wardrobe. The shower wasn't the best but again it was clean & there was hot water all the time. The bed was on the smaller side of a double but it was comfortable, unfortunately we didn't have a sea view. On arrival there was nobody at reception and after 5 minutes of waiting and pressing the bell the manager finally arrived, and did apologise for the wait as they were in the middle of sorting the attic out. She was polite and helpful, has a good knowledge of the area and recommended places to visit. Parking is very limited on the front but a permit was provided with no charge for our whole stay which is for the back of the hotel. As others have stated unfortunately you can smell the restaurant as there isn't any adequate ventilation, it's situated downstairs like most of the hotels on the front, it was clean, well presented, the food for the evening meal was nice and you were given a large portion, breakfast was a Full English or cereals and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted, it was a little greasy but not so much you couldn't eat it. The staff who worked in the restaurant were all polite and helpful. We didn't have a drink in the bar as to be honest it looks very dated, but we wanted to sit outside in the sun on the harbour anyway. Overall for our first trip to Weymouth we really enjoyed ourselves. We probably wouldn't stay at this hotel again, but we're glad it turned out better than expected.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Epsom, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed here having purchased a Wowcher deal for three nights B&B for £139.00. Having read some of the reviews on here, we were a bit worried! But, there was no 'smell' in the hallway, it appeared clean and the chap that greeted us was very friendly. We had a 'family' seaview room on the top floor, which is a bit of a trek, but manageable. The view was lovely.

The little lift made me giggle, there was just about enough room for me and my suitcase, but we didn't mind this as we're fit enough to walk the stairs!

Then we started to have a little bit of a look around. There was a big, long black head-hair in the sink in the bathroom when we got there, there were a few other hairs dotted around surfaces of the furniture in the room also. We also found a hard piece of 'brown stuff' next the the toilet on the floor in the bathroom.

The decorative order of the room was not fantastic - whoever did the painting should be slightly ashamed of all the paint they'd put on the ceiling instead of the wall! The beds were comfortable enough and there was adequate bedding etc.

Other reviews commenting on the curtains are quite right, they are pretty see-through. If you're a person who needs complete darkness to sleep, you'd struggle.

The shower was a complete joke - you could probably get more pressure from a drinking-water fountain! I have long hair and to wash the shampoo out took an age with the lack of water pressure. The temperature was also inconsistent and would vary between hot and cold.

Also, whilst talking of the bathroom, there was nowhere to hang your towel whilst in the shower, so it had to go in the sink or across the toilet - and having found what we did, we weren't too keen on that idea! The shower 'tray' as it were, appeared to just be sealed with what looked like roofing paint stuff.

Then there was breakfast. To be honest here, if the place was fully-booked, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. But we didn't go down until after 9 (breakfast is 8-10) and basically everything had been sitting under the hotplate lamps etc since it was cooked. There was a thick crust on the scrambled eggs and it was barely edible. The coffee was over-stewed and not freshly made. I ended up having toast and jam on two of the mornings and the third morning, we skipped breakfast altogether. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here and assume that if there was a higher turnover of guests, that the breakfast would be fresher.

The facilities of the room were not particularly high-standard either. The tea and coffee facilities consisted of a bowl with some loose tea-bags, coffee, milk and sugar sachets. We've stayed in smaller, less expensive B&Bs in the past and been offered a varied range of teas or at least individually wrapped bags. The only soap offered was a little bar. Again, we've been in less expensive places where they provide liquid hand soaps in the bathroom.

We checked how much this room should be per night and were surprised to see that it should be between £130-£160. It's definitely not worth that, if we'd paid that I think we would have complained! We spent very little time in the room anyway, so it wasn't worth making a fuss.

It was quite disappointing as there's an awful lot of potential for this place, considering its location and the views it commands. Just a few bits and pieces here and there would make it a fantastic place to stay - especially keeping an eye on the cleanliness. That's not something that costs any more money to fix!

I must state that I'm not writing this review to be spiteful or malicious, the hotel did nothing to upset me personally. What I have stated above is honest and a true reflection of our stay here.

Room Tip: Definitely try and get a sea view!