“Poor value for money”

The Richmoor Hotel
Ranked #100 of 165 Weymouth B&B and Inns
“Poor value for money”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Asked to pay before seeing our room. £1 charge for using a debit card, no complimentary toiletries apart from a small piece of soap. Showers very poor, either freezing cold or scorching hot and the water only dribbles out. The buffet breakfast was good although we were only given tea plates to put it on. On the good side its in a good location and the serving staff are very friendly. We had three rooms and wont be returning to the Richmore

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Jo N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
London
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Having just stayed at the Richmoor Hotel in Weymouth for an Easter break, I would like to share my experience.

Good points:
Great location within easy walking distance to the town and overlooking the sea front.
Good quality and reasonably priced food.
Good interaction with the younger members of staff (Ricky, Shane) who were friendly and welcoming.

Bad points:
Two of our party had to change rooms during our stay as Lorraine (proprietor) advised there had been a problem with the online booking system but she would compensate us for the inconvenience with a complimentary drink. (No complimentary drink offered during our stay despite raising this with her and being told “I never said that”).
Overpowering smell of burnt fat throughout the hotel. My husband is an engineer and believed it was due to inadequate extraction in the kitchen. Very off-putting.
A hair was found in the sugar bowl on our table and also on a piece of toast and when informing our waiter, was asked if we were sure it wasn’t one of ours (although maybe he was joking, but can’t be certain).
Cramped bedroom (although clean).
No toiletries, except a very small piece of complimentary soap.
Miniscule ‘bath towels’.
Inconsistency with the shower temperature. On our first morning there was no hot water from the shower (in any of the rooms we booked) which resulted in none of our party of seven being able to shower. Upon raising our concerns with the proprietor (who, rather than apologise said “I’ve got so much to do”) addressed the issue by sending an engineer to our rooms but the shower then went from cold to scalding hot which was very dangerous! Later that evening we were informed that if our shower didn’t work properly the next morning, they had other rooms available within the hotel on lower floors that we could use but we didn’t fancy walking through the hotel corridors in our dressing gowns with our towels under our arms when hot running water is quite a basic requirement for most people!
The car park is no more than a side ally and you are obliged to leave your car keys with reception as you have to double park. On street parking is available if you are lucky enough to find a space, especially on a Bank Holiday weekend, but the hotel will issue you with a parking permit.
The hotel website advises that they have one of the cheapest bars in Weymouth, however, we were charged £1 for a glass of carbonated water albeit this was removed from our bill when queried.
Being made to pay in full, on arrival for our stay. Most hotels (even in London) only take a credit card swipe as security and then charge your card on departure.

Overall:
We won’t be staying at the Richmoor Hotel again even if the above issues are dealt with.
This hotel is currently classed as a 3-4 star hotel but quite honestly it is no more than a 2-3 star bed and breakfast and their tariff should reflect this.
The proprietor needs to stand back and objectively look at what she is offering for the prices she is charging as with a few changes, she could make this a pleasant place to stay.
WISH I’D READ THE REVIEWS FOR THIS HOTEL PRIOR TO BOOKING!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank Cazastan

Travelers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Some of staff very good especially Ricky with our breakfast very attentive, Shane very good made us very welcome. I am glad my husband up graded to a lovely sea view. Can't complain about breakfast plenty there, you could have had seconds. Just think the hotel is a bit tired. I wasn't happy to come back after being out for several hours to find my bed was not made & my bin was not empty. Apart from that if I'm in Weymouth and the price is right i we would stay again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 20, 2014

"I thought it was a bad joke"

You will find Richmoor on the list of hotels you would never want to go back to.
And I will explain why:
Starting with location- yeah, it's by the ocean, but if you stay in Weymouth I would recommend hotel by the harbour.
The hotel claims to have wifi, but even though my room (105) was on the first floor, I still couldn't get any signal.
Breakfast is served between 8-10. So if you need to take the 8:30 ferry, you can forgot about claiming your "included breakfast".
I booked the single room which was a size of single bed room. I have stayed in many hotels (guests house, dorms...) in my life, but this one was the smallest room I have ever seen or been in.
There was hot water in the shower but no water pressure, so there go the fantasy of having decent shower.
Bed was not comfortable as you could feel the springs. I can still feel it actually while writing this.
Heating didn't work so I was frozen all night.
Thanks to the see through curtains I woke up at 6am when the light hit my window.

The only good thing about the hotel and I have to give them the credit for Is that it's a dog friendly hotel with no extra charge for the dog.

To summarize all- for £50-£110 you can find much much much better hotels in Weymouth. Don't bother staying there, even if it's just one night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
8 Thank ido8all
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Turned up as a last minute walk in booking from the street. 4 of us wanted two doubles. As on other reviews the smell in the foyer is still alive and kicking. There is a sign in the Foyer which says Faulty Towers this is for their theme nights, hang it up outside to warn others.
The rooms were filthy the shower hadn't been cleaned and the water was no faster than a dribble and freezing cold. Ironically the mirror said wash clean refresh and revitalise, lol your not kidding. The beds in both of our rooms were lumpy well worn mattresses. So be prepared to wake up with back problems.
However the bar and restaurant had recently been refurbished and looked quite nice.But decided to have an evening meal, Big mistake chefs night off left a young lad to do the cooking. Ran out of Steak and Potatoes. The fact that the restaurant was only open 2 hours 6pm til 8pm should have given us clues.The chef had the night off and they left a young lad in charge who clearly couldn't cope.Check your vinegar bottles are tight because apparently they tip the vinegar out and wash the bottles but someone didn't tighten the top up so i got a dinner full of vinegar. However they replaced the meal in five minutes which means they don't cook fresh like their sign says its a microwave job.
Thank god the owner did offer a reduced rate of £85 instead of £110 she was lucky i paid the £85
I have stayed in hotels up and down the country this has been my worst.
Do yourself a favour go to the premier inn in Weymouth £96 you know what your getting. Quality

Room Tip: Visit lobby do a U turn and walk out
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank DocWho1
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We are staying at the richmoor hotel for one night, to attend a family function..upon arrival we were placed in a room that was difficult to get to, due to my disability and fear of using the lift..but the staff were attentive and helped us with the option of a larger room on the 1st floor..the staff even brought our bags to our room for us..the parking is an issue but is not due to the hotel, as weymouth at easter time is very busy, with lots of cars&buses fighting for spaces..
I must point out the benefit of having a room with sea views..you will not be dissapointed..

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I went to The Richmoor Hotel, Weymouth after seeing a great deal on Groupon but was in a dilemma as it was a deal for two, which would have been fine for me and my husband, but wouldn't have been suitable if I was to bring my son. I spoke to the hotel and they were able to accommodate my son at the same price as if I had booked with Groupon.

When I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by Lorraine, the very friendly, down-to-earth owner, and she made us feel at home.

Our room was a challenging trek to the top floor of the Hotel but although there was a lift available, I decided we are young enough and fit enough to make the journey by foot.

My room was a light and airy family room, with pretty red homely accents and it overlooked the English Channels. We had access to utensils for tea and coffee, a flatscreen t.v. wifi, and a clean and cosy bathroom.

We were never short of things to do in Weymouth and I was finding more attractions even on the day of my departure.

The wide open sandy beach is right at your doorstep.

The themed Fawlty Towers dinner which is quickly becoming popular amongst holiday makers, took place on our second night. Having the fun and frolics of Basil, Manuel and Sybil unfold whilst I tucked into my 5 course meal was a great twist to our evening, especially when you have a 6 year old to keep entertained.

Breakfast was the full english and customers could help themselves to as much of it as they want.

All in all this hotel was a great stay, with a great location and even better staff. Weymouth will be seeing us again

read more here: http://premiereonepr.wordpress.com/2014/04/11/the-richmoor-hotel/

Room Tip: If you want a view to die for select a sea view room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Loraine146, Owner at The Richmoor Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hi,
Thank you so much for your kind review especially from someone who is a professional in this field. We very much enjoyed your visit and hope to see you and your lovely family again. It does always amaze me how a successful family as yours will say such nice things and very obviously enjoy your stay as most of our guests do and then we get comments like a few of the others here. We appreciate that you have taken time to comment as usually it is only when people want to be negative or have an ulterior motive. Hope to see you again. Loraine