“An enjoyable sea front stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Richmoor Hotel

The Richmoor Hotel
Ranked #93 of 170 Weymouth B&B and Inns
“An enjoyable sea front stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My stay at this hotel was only for one night but I was provided great service through the evening and the following morning. A lovely sea front location with great staff. The bed was comfortable and the room was decent! Breakfast was perfect and out to us quickly, what more could you expect.. Would defiantly return and recommend!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Poole, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great for large groups of people, we have stayed on a number of occasions. The hotel has always been clean and tidy. The staff will answer any questions you may have and are really helpful. Couldn't get enough of the breakfast.... Highly recommended at a very great price :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Barry, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Myself, husband, elderly father-in-law and Aunty has just returned from an enjoyable stay at the Richmoor Hotel. We didn't encounter any of the complaints and negative comments made by the previous reviews. The staff were the most friendly and helpful we've encountered in a long time, our rooms were clean and comfortable and breakfast good and quickly served. Fantastic location for beach and town and wouldn't hesitate in staying here again...in fact thinking of booking again in November for husband's birthday.

Room Tip: 109 Family room with sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Loraine146, Owner at The Richmoor Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank You for the wonderful review. You have no idea how good a nice review makes me feel and makes me feel like all the hard work is worth it. We loved having you here although the night porter is missing your company in the bar at 2am. We look forward to seeing you again, and if you do make it back for your husbands birthday then we will certainly have a cake and a few drinks waiting for you!

twickenham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Internet deal. No reception had to ring bell to get staff to check in. Bar was like a school dining room and unmanned ,again ring bell for service! Room was laughable, shower was beside bed sink in room under smallest tv I have seen for years. Toilet on other side of bed.
Bed was comfortable but not clean looked like blood on sheets!
Breakfast excellent on first day next morning terrible. Wife didn't want full English and requested just toast with bacon and eggs, got an egg and one rasher of bacon (almost raw).
Checked out as early as we could.
Excellent location on Sea front and bar prices good but not enough to save experience.
With some thought this could be an amazing hotel but as is would never re visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rob w
We are unhappy when we feel our guests have left unsatisfied and aggrieved. If i can address your points..

We have a 24 hour reception, including a night porter. Due to being a listed building, we do not have a reception area in the hotel. We have a bell that you can ring to get a managers attention at any time of the day. We open the bar when and as the guests want it open, and where there is a demand. Again so unlike many other hotels along the Seafront we do not stick to strict opening times. However if nobody is in the bar then our staff may be doing cleaning jobs else where. As soon as you ring the bell we then happily come and serve you and if people start to trickle in then we will happily put someone permanently in there. Of course i want a full bar.
Addressing your room, it has recently been refurbished and i will happily post a photo of it on-line. The layout of your room is slightly peculiar with the en-suite i will admit. Different to all our other en-suites. If you had an issue i would of happily switched you to another room. However as you had booked on an internet deal where we get 30% of our normal tariff we gave you the standard double that you had booked.
I can not comment on your breakfast as this was not brought to my attention throughout your stay. All i can say is that your wife should of been given two rashers of bacon and two eggs, and then we go around with a platter of extras to offer people. I apologise if the breakfast was not up to standard and i will be following this up with the staff working that morning.
I am glad that you can see that we could be an excellent hotel as we normally are. I take great pride in my guests leaving happy and i am saddened when we fall short. Unfortunately you came on a quieter weekend and so you never got to enjoy the buzz or atmosphere of this place when our restaurant and bar are full. If we can convince you to give us another try and a chance for us to redeem ourselves in your eyes then please ring us directly on 01305 773435 and we will give you a similar deal to the one you received on the internet.

Loraine x

Travelers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Wiltshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Last minute trip away for the weekend so had to make do with what we could find that wasn't fully booked! I wouldn't recommend this hotel, very dated! It appeared clean, but the next day i found bites all over my body, down my back, on my tummy, on the back of my neck! it really wouldn't hurt to update the rooms, the shower was horrible, needed scrubbing! The bed was so uncomfortable. We were also woken up in the middle of the night by 2 woman upstairs having an argument, shouting at the tops of their voices, swearing! Personally if i had owned that hotel i would have thrown them out! We won't be going back to this hotel! And i really don't appreciate being covered in bed bug bites! This hotel is nothing to be proud of!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ktimbrell
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Food very basic,who wants cottage pie and liver or fish pie on their holiday. Staff very friendly, but sadly untrained,not their fault,the owner should take all the blame for this. We never had a hot meal,always cold or lukewarm.Large turnover of staff,a change of chef midway through the week. All in all not to be recommended, keep away!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank s_redfern1
Hi i am so sorry that you were unhappy with the quality of our food. From the sounds of it you never ordered from our ala-carte restaurant menu, but from our coach meals so i am guessing you are a coach customer. Obviously it can not be helped that we sometimes we have to employ new members of the team. We had just lost our head chef who went to a 50k a year position as a head chef of a huge team of chefs in a top class fine dining restaurant because of the reputation he had built whilst here. So obviously we have a high standard of food, and we are looking to continue that, look up our reviews under Shelley's Restaurant and you will be able to see that reflected. Our coach menus reflect good old fashioned home-made meals such as cottage pie, lasagne's and roast dinners. On our menus there is even a section for any special requests and so if you were unhappy with the selection offered you, we could of given you some more choices to choose from. However to our knowledge at no point did you bring to my attention any unhappiness at the menus offered you.
I have great confidence in my staff, however as this was the end of the summer, and many were returning to education, i did have to replace several members of my team and they were undergoing training and they were adapting to a new head chef.

Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Prior to booking a 4 night break with my hubby and another couple, through Macpherson's, I emailed and phoned the proprietor Lorraine Godwin. I asked if the en-suite bathroom on their web site was a wet-room, and explained how my disabilities made it difficult for me to use a shower cubicle and nigh on impossible to stand under a shower over a bath.

She assured me the en-suite room shown was the wet-room in room 305. She pointed out that there were stairs to that room, situated next to the lift, but no more than in a normal house and there was a hand rail. I explained that I would not mind struggling up a flight of stairs if it meant I could have a shower in a wet-room every morning.

She advised me to contact Macpherson's and request room 305 and she would ensure I got that particular room, or I could wait until I arrived and look at a couple of other possibilities.

Needless to say, I made my request through Macpherson's and emailed Lorraine just before our holiday to thank her and tell her how much I was looking forward to having a holiday where I could actually have a shower every morning.

After getting out of the tiny lift (only room for two people); struggling up 10 stairs with my walking stick and the hand rail; I found a further 6 steps to negotiate before getting to room 305.

I thought 'this is worth it because I can have a shower every morning'.

Imagine my surprise and horror when I opened the door to the en-suite wet-room and found the shower cubicle was even smaller than a standard size cubicle with a step down into the shower situated extremely close to the front of the toilet.

I couldn't believe that someone could deliberately mislead a disabled person in such an obviously uncaring manner.

There were many complaints from others throughout the week including dirty rooms; filthy stained pillows; no pillow cases; no toilet rolls; no available rooms, even though they were booked and paid for.

Three couples and our coach driver had to be booked into two nearby hotels, but who was going to pay for them, Lorraine or Macpherson's?

Whilst having dinner on our last night Lorraine informed our driver, in a loud voice, that her car was blocking the coach from leaving in the morning; adding that she would not move it until she had been paid. She told him that if he damaged it she would call the police.

A short time later she returned to the dining room to inform all guests they were to hand in their room keys when they came down to breakfast to enable the staff to start cleaning the rooms.

We all agreed to keep our keys until we were able to leave as there was only one toilet in the building should we be unable to return to our rooms. (Not that anyone would want to use the hotel's public toilet as there was no privacy from people passing in the street. A few guests had commented that they had seen a woman carrying out all of her ablutions through the closed window.)

There were many problems at meal times including long waits; cold food; a fly under the food; starters not arriving; and others too numerous to mention.

Every meal time Lorraine appeared, sometimes more than once, to shout that the problems were due to her staff. During our last breakfast she even 'told off the guests' for not supporting her bingo and quizzes and using her bar.

I believe that Lorraine's hotel gave us all an insight into how a badly run old people's care home would be.

Room Tip: rooms in another hotel would be preferable
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Pam C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weymouth
The Heights Hotel
Kelston Guest House
Kelston Guest House
#2 of 170 in Weymouth
The Redcliff B&B Guest House

Been to The Richmoor Hotel? Share your experiences!