“Very good family run hotel”
Review of The Richmoor Hotel

The Richmoor Hotel
Ranked #123 of 166 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel would be fantastic for a family holiday in Weymouth. Located on the seafront and with parking if requested. We only stayed one night but with a 3 year old were made to feel very welcome and all requests were met. The room faced the beach and was quite cosy but it did sleep 4 so that was not suprising. It is an old building that the owners are renovating tastefully.
The cooked breakfast was excellent and we were even offered seconds! We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Loraine146, Owner at The Richmoor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Thank You for taking the time out to leave us with a good review. We love having children here, especially as we are primarily a family run hotel and quite often have my 3 year old grand daughter here. Please do come again and we promise to provide the same level of service. What we find quite exciting is the changes that have been done since with new bedding and headboards, and many new furnishings. Just the televisions to go!! When you book for your next stay, please receive 20% off our normal tariff?

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I recently I returned from a 3 night stay at the Richmoor Hotel Weymouth. Weymouth was a fabulous place! Enjoyed it very much. However! The richmoor hotel was less pleasing.

ROOMS – our sea view room was basic yet clean.
FOOD – If you are an adult and enjoy your dinner being served to you on a tea plate you would enjoy. A roast dinner included one small roast potatoe and what I can only describe as a miniature ice-cream scoop of mash potatoe, two equally as small pieces of meat and a tiny amount of veg. All in all the food was very poor.
STAFF- All staff excluding the Manageress were polite and helpful throughout our stay. The Manageress spoke to us as if we were children, she was extremely patronising and generally a very unpleasant woman. Her staff seemed uncomfortable in her presence. I wouldn’t dream of staying there again...ever.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tripbow
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We arrived at the Richmoor to find that 'reception' was actually a doorbell in the hallway. No answer when rung so I headed into the bar to ask where we could park. Despite calling ahead to reserve car parking we arrived and were told that the car park was full and we would have to park on the street out the back if we could find a space.

Once we had finally parked and returned to the hotel we were told that there had been a mix up and they couldn't find our booking. We were ushered upstairs to a rather grotty family room that is used in an emergency when booking errors occur.

The room was large and had a sea view which was nice but had a double and 2 singles crammed in so we did not have much space. The bed was too soft and the bedding was worn and old and thin. The bathroom was small and to top it all off the shower had no hot water and only a few jets worked. Our sleep the first night was delayed due to the noise from the in-bar entertainer until midnight.

My complaints to the manageress sparked a flurry of comments about how we had 'cost her money' because she had to get a maintenance guy out in the evening and that we were only finding faults because the weather was poor and we wanted to leave. We were also reminded that the sea view emergency room was an upgrade to what we had booked. Made me fearful of what state our actual room would have been!

To her credit the manageress fixed the shower before we got back that evening.
The breakfast was lovely and the waiting staff courteous and efficient. We even got offered extra brekkie after we had finished. Great coffee and the hotel is only a few seconds walk from the beach.

I couldn't help but smirk when the manageress told me to book direct with her next time for a special rate. As if I would ever go back! Shambles, avoid.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed there on a school trip and what a great stay there was great rooms,friendly staff and fantastic facilities so if your in Weymouth and you need a great place to stay the richmore hotel i highly recommend

Room Tip: a sea view room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jack G
Reviewed July 8, 2012

On arriving at the hotel there was this awful smell from the so called reception which basically was just in the hall. On continuing to the room i realised that the smell was everywhere in the corridors and in my room it was vile!!! The room for what can only be described as dingy and out of date should no way of cost £75 i think that money was just to pay the heating bill as they clearly have it on full all threw the night. I was informed that if the bar was to get busy there would be a permanent member of staff to serve and clearly this was not the case, the glasses were not cleaned as he routed around to find me a clean glass only to be offered one with bits everywhere. I have been going to weymouth for many years and this by far is the wost hotel i have ever stayed in and if i had the option would be happier to sleep outside in a doorway.

I could go on and on to explain how disgusted i was with my stay but will simply advise to read all reviews before booking at this hotel.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Dominic C
Reviewed July 8, 2012

When booked at this hotel stipulated that on site car parking would be required. Told that that would be OK but when we turned up told that that would not be possible as they had the builders in. On site parking necessary because my friend is disabled and needs a wheelchair if she has to walk further than 50 mtres. After some discussion and assurances from the receptionist that we would not be charged we left. Beware! the hotel went into my account and took the full £200 inspite of the above. The offer of onsite parking is a 'come on' and I do not think that they ever had any intention of allowing onsite parking and they certainly made no attempt to notify me that they could not fulfill their part of the contract.

Room Tip: Read reviews very carefully. Good reviews can be laced with made up people
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank harryjamesDoncaster
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here in April as part of a Groupon offer. I have learnt my lesson to check the reviews before thinking something is a good deal! The rooms we had were adequate in size apart from the bathrooms - anyone slightly over weight would struggle to even get into the room let alone turn around. The beds were uncomfortable. The decor needs updating. Towels provided had seen better days!
The evening meal was a miracle - I expected it to be awful as the ambience and decor was terrible - bright lighting, maximum covers in a small basement room. However the meal was top notch - even my friend who is coeliac couldn't fault it.
None of this would have lead me to have rated the room at terrible - the manager Loraine Godwin, tipped it over the edge. When we arrived and parked up at the back of the property there was little parking room. I brought the situation to the attention of the staff, asking if there was other places around the area to park. They asked for my keys and told me they would shuffle the other residents cars around to fit mine in. I duly handed over the keys and thought no more of it. As we were not intending to drive whilst in Weymouth I did not return to the car until the following evening, where, to my disappointment, the car had not been put into the carpark and therefore had a parking ticket from that morning. I brought this to the attention of Loraine who said she had been made aware of the ticket and was coming to discuss it with me. She told me in a very weary fashion that one of the staff on duty last night no longer worked at the hotel.
When I pressed her about how she intended to deal with the issue she admitted that it was her staffs fault and that she would write a letter on my behalf to the council to try and get the parking ticket waived. Loraine implied that this scenario had happened before and due to the lack of parking restriction signs the council had been unable to uphold the fine. She also stated that if the council did not waive the fee she would stump up the money as it was the hotel's fault for not moving the car.I thought this a fine compromise.
I checked my emails and there was the letter written on my behalf which I duly sent onto the council with additional photographic evidence of the parking area under objection.
The council did not waive the ticket. I contacted Loraine and left her numerous messages to call me, which she ignored. When she finally answered the phone she said she was going to call the council and discuss it with them. Long story short, she never did, I had to pay the £35 fine and Loraine has not refunded my money or been in touch since.
Don't stay here - you will regret it in so many ways.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends