“Great food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Food a little different from the norm. The waiter was very friendly. Pity it was not a little busier as they deserve to do well.

Visited September 2013

Chatham, United Kingdom
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

After a very poor meal in another restaurant the taxi driver recommended that we try Westers. we went there the following night unsure if we needed to book but we were very warmly received and assured that we were more than welcome. After a drink in the lounge we were ushered through to our table when the food was ready, clean plates were the order of the day as all three of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The bill certainly did not break the bank and free shots all round capped a really good evening.

Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visit during a short holiday break”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We paid a visit on Friday 30th August after reading a number of the other reviews. We received a warm welcome and took a seat in the lounge area, chose our meals and had a drink before being called to our table when our starters were ready. Overall the food was excellent, only minor thing was that the rice seemed rather dry with the meals we had chosen.

After the meal, we decided to sit back down in the lounge rather than move onto somewhere else. There wasn't too many others in that night so no idea what it would be like on a busy night but the 'regulars' were friendly and spent a good part of the evening talking to one nice couple.

Overall, a really relaxing evening out, good food and would certainly go again if we find ourselves in the area in the future.

Worcester UK
“Missed opportunity”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have got to be really objective about this review as I was a regular at Westers in the days of Guy and Virginia, when you had to book ages in advance for Thursdays through the weekend. It was a great place to be, very popular with the locals with great food at an average price for Weymouth. It started to decline after they left and my last visit was over 8 years ago just before I moved to the Midlands.
Top marks for the refurb it is truly excellent! Staff too are friendly and helpful and we certainly appreciated the complimentary Baileys to finish off our meal.
Service too was good.
The menu could be better designed and 'grouped' better. My food (Chicken Red Thai Curry) was tasty but I only had four small cubes of chicken the rest was made up with sweetcorn and veg. I know this is standard for Thai food but the chicken was a bit mean, it was also a bit on the dry side for a Thai curry.The accompaniments were ok and the rice was gorgeous. My hubby's meal and that of two friends was ok but certainly not remarkable.
The prices for the quality of the food are really out of sync though. We eat out at the very least once a week but often twice in various establishments from Two for Ones to high end cuisine. I know that meals out are generally cheaper in the Midlands compared to the South coast but Westers prices are high even by Weymouth standards. It could be a great little place again if either the food quality was upped or the prices lowered. Good luck with your venture.

2 Thank nessief
WestersWeymouth, Owner at Westers The Cellar Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Following your recent visit to Westers and your generally positive review.

I feel it only reasonable to say that the original and very popular Westers you refer to opened in the early eighties and the type of establishment it was then I am sure reflected the times. My understanding is that the original owners left over fifteen years ago. The reason I mention this is that times have changed; and so has the different type of food and service that people in general require.

When taking over Westers we carried out an initial refit that has now been completed and we thank you for your very positive remarks about the comfortable and relaxed atmosphere of the Bistro, again we believe this type of atmosphere and décor reflects the current day.

Since taking over Westers in January this year we have largely tried to adapt along the way to the requirements and sentiments of the local people who as in your review were very fond of the original Westers and we continue to strive to please local people and visitors alike by listening to their requirements and provide the type of service and atmosphere they are looking for when dining out. There are however additional costs involved in running this type of full service Bistro, we only source and purchase the best quality produce available locally and stock a range of quality wines. while this is reflected in the food prices they are only slightly higher than local good quality Pub food.

Thank you for your review.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Nice”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Although this is the closest restaurant to our home it is the least used until recent. A friend recommended this place when I said I fancied a steak. The meal was a bit pricey, but I do not have much previous knowledge of dining out on English food. THAT you can get at home, so maybe this isn't too expensive. This steak was so tender though, it was "to die for".

Visited July 2013