“Great views a bit short of services”
Review of Sea Barn Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Weymouth
Sea Barn Farm
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“Great views a bit short of services”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I am not the greatest of campers - best saying this from the offset ! And I heard it was going to be a bit windy.
We arrived about 6.30 and the shop was open, theres not much in it, paid our bond of £20 each in CASH I was not aware of that, thank goodness I had it on me. We were given the list of rules and the information leaflet and told we could camp anywhere. Naturaly I drove around for 20 min (maybe more) to choose just the right spot ! Much to the amusement of the other campers.

Found a great spot on a flat, you do need to look around it is quite hilly. Started to set up and wait for our friends. They arrived about an hour later only to find the shop shut so they could not get any food :( Thank goodness they found us, what do people do when they arrive, I would be scared to pitch any where incase I got told to move the next day ..

The toilet and shower block at that end is pretty grim and cold and to make matters worse the lights were not working which made it creepy in the dark and wind with the plastic flap things. That said, the water was hot, there was toilet roll, soap and paper towels so no complants about that. I reported that the lights were not working and someone came out fairly promptly, they could not be repaired so they put a candle in ... .
The site was really quiet which really suited me, so only the wind and weird tent noises to keep me awake. The middle of the night trip to the loo was cold and creepy. And a draughty shower was not great in the morning.
We went for a nice walk down the hill and had a wander back thinking we could pop in to the other site for some lunch and a drink but it is not open. The shops and club are only open first thing then close at 10.30am and open for a couple of hours in the evening ?? Very short times. The information is available on the rules and information leaflet which I then read!
I dont mind the rules, I like quiet and am not a big dog fan so hate them running around barking I like to get to bed at a resonable time in the quiet. Give me peace so I can lie awake all night listening to the weird night animal and tent sounds :-/

After another night with even stronger winds I was dreading the loo run but the lights were working :). In the morning we drove to the other shower block (its not that far and you can walk) it is well worth it the facilites are awesome, Showers on sensors the block was immaculate and a plug for a hairdryer if you brought one. The even have a family bathroom if you have little ones. I am sure the other campers wont mind if I take the car to that one for my middle of the night loo run :)
I found I got quite territorial and I would have been very miffed if someone had of camped infront of us and ruined my view.

We had borrrowed a tent as I decided our 4 man tent was not big enough for 2 of us (last time we took the kids I took 2, 4 man tents !! oh and 2 cars) By the time it came to packing up the wind was terrible, I have discovered that taking a tent down in HIGH winds at the top of a hill by the sea is flippin dangerous ! Needless to say it was amusing for those not packing up to see us battling with a tent that was trying to fly whilst avoiding poles and pegs. I did say I was not a great camper.
Any way back to the site .. I would definatly go again :) read the leaflet and work out when things are open, enjoy the quiet and the stunning views.

Room Tip: Look for a flat pitch and read the instructions. Bring enough supplies so you can cook then you don...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Caroline M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here for a three night stay with another couple.We thought it odd that you have to pay a bond for your stay (£20 per couple), in 10 years of camping, it is unheard of by us.. When we got there we we were places three places away from our friends with a couple in between us. We could not understand this as we were the only ones in the field.They could quite easily have put us together but chose not to. We noticed there are lists of rules and regulations everywhere. This included in toilets, showers and in the fields, steps, notice boards, threatening not to return your bond if you do not abide by these rules. We were told off for being too noisey although we were only talking in the tent and being grown adults and after 12.00 we were approached by the warden and virtually told to go to bed. While the warden was in our tent we were told to put the dog on the lead although he was in the tent!!! We did try the club house once but found it very quiet and more like a working mens club..We got talking to others who were told to stop laughing so loud in their tent even though they were also the only ones on their field. Although it is a lovely, clean site but spoilt by all the rules. It is a shame but we will not be returning to this site.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Melh72
SilentNights, Public Relations Manager at Sea Barn Farm, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments. The park's "quiet nights policy" is well-publicized and all customers are made aware of it on booking and on arrival. The same is also true of the park's policy on dogs, which is that they should be on leads at all times. Being in the tent is not an adequate control as dogs can, and do very easily, leave via the open tent flap. It is particularly unnerving for customers and staff to be met or followed by unrestrained dogs at any time, but all the more so at night, especially if they are larger breeds such as husky-types. With regard to talking, music and laughter after 11 p.m. this can be very disturbing to other customers, even at some distance and/or through hedges. As the park is promoted as quiet (hence the quiet nights policy), complaints about noisy neighbours from our customers are always investigated. The park is patrolled to prevent the majority being disturbed by a minority.
Downton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just stayed here 4 days. Weather, unfortunately, was against us. More so the wind as there is little protection from the on shore winds off the sea. Beautiful site and beautiful views. Basic facilities, small shop, although the newer toilet and shower block were excellent. Laundry and washing up facilities good as well. Very clean and tidy. There is, however, a bar, pool and club house on the neighbouring site a few minutes drive or a longer walk (if you want that of course) but we were happy being on site with ourselves as company. The site was neat and tidy and well laid out. Lovelly walks as well. Weymouth just down the road for big shops. Alf's chip shop down the road a couple of miles into Weymouth gives 10% off and does value for money breakfasts. Cannot say what peak season brings in terms of being busy on site. Thouroughly recommend it for the quieter getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
perton
Reviewed June 7, 2013

just got back from sea barn farm - a great site , well kept and the new shower block is 5 star ! - it is isolated however, so may not be ideal if your expecting childrens clubs etc .
we had an electric hook up which doesn't have the greatest of sea views, but if you want peace and quiet in lovely surroundings this site delivers.
on a further note weymouth parking fees are outrageous ! we used the park and ride during the day from morrisons , £2,50 all in, but last bus is 6.30 so no good for the evenings ! next time we'll buy a weekly parking ticket from the council for £38.00 -
the harbour is great for a drink on a sunny evening - and it doesn't seem to be over run with chavs unlike the town centre !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stunning views across Chesil Beach. The campsite is OK, the old set of toilet blocks need to be closed and refurbished with broken sinks and toilets, very basic showers and washing up facilities, hated the heavy plastic curtain you had to walk through to get into the blocks, the new toilet block was lovely, but in high season this would get very busy. During this week (school holidays) the campsite was less than half full and by Wednesday approx a quarter full. The staff in the shop were ok on booking, but had to queue to pay for goods whilst one staff member finished her phone conversation (private mobile). Used the pool on the neighbouring site, very cold, not allowed to use balls or any other type of toy within the pool. On the first night we also used the bar and food - high prices, slow service and we witnessed the chef being extremely rude to a customer who tried to point out that she had the wrong order and only wanted what she had ordered. Throughout trip advisor there are many comments about rude staff but it would appear that the management company are not too concerned as the only thing they report on are the rules!!! It was suggested to us by other campers (whilst in the bar) to use either TheTurks Head or The Lugger public houses which are only a five minute drive away, we used both. They both had polite and charming staff, a good range of reasonably priced meals and catered for groups. The management company need to take heed of the staff, pricing and rule comments before it is too late, not only will we not return but will also tell friends and family about the bad experience.

1 Thank Tannerct
SilentNights, Public Relations Manager at Sea Barn Farm, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to say that all the facilities at the park, including the old toilet block, have recently been inspected by an independent third party inspection body and found to be in good working order to the AA's Three Pennant Standard, with an improved and high confidence rating. The new toilet block fulfills even higher standards. Our reception staff consider all our customers to be important, including those to whom we are already speaking on the phone (for ease of use in the camp environment the reception phone is wireless, we also have dedicated park mobile devices). Our clubhouse staff are always eager to provide customer satisfaction and to respond positively to any justified complaint or concern. We do not, however, consider it reasonable for a customer to complain about an order after it has been fulfilled and consumed and then, when asked for their receipt, to screw it up and refuse to show it so that it may be compared to the kitchen copy. Nor is it reasonable for our staff to be shouted at and harangued under any circumstances. The park rules, which are similar to those of many other parks and camping organisations, are there to ensure that all our customers can have an enjoyable, safe and stress-free family holiday. Many reviews attest that this is the experience of the vast majority and that is the reason why many of our customers choose this park over others. We have no plans to loosen the park's expectations of our customers as they simply reflect the reasonable expectations of the vast majority (c.99 per cent) of our customers.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have just come back from a 3 day bank holiday weekend and was really pleased with the site. We arrived late on Friday approx 7.30pm as we live 3 hour drive away, had no problem signing in. We were 3 family groups together so there was a £20 each family bond to put down which we easily got back at the end of our trip. Yes there is a long list of rules, but what campsite doesnt have rules? The kids played in the park most of the day and we werent disturbed at any point of our stay by other campers or by the owners. Toilet and shower block was amazing, always clean and presentable, with spacious shower cubicles. I am an early riser so at 6-7am hot water was plentiful although there was on one occasion at 9am no hotwater for a short period. We comfortably ran many electrical items off the electric point without any tripping which was nice. Some areas of the campsite are exposed to wind as the site is so high but where we stayed (140,141 and 142) was well sheilded by the trees and was actually a lovely corner plot for the 3 families to live, play and enjoy!

The shop has periods of closure, but we just made sure we knew these... simple! And as for the grumpy staff... didnt see any?! The lady in the shop was lovely, friendly and chatty.

We only ventured to the other site once for chips on the first night as we were hungry and it was late, seemed busier and club house seemed ok but it was late so not sure what it is like during busy periods. My only grumble was the price of the food, portion of cheesy chips £3.90 each and they really werent great chips or even a large portion, I couldnt even contemplate eating anything else there after that.

15 min drive to Weymouth beach which is just beautiful and lots to do for everyone of various ages. Perfect place for a full fish and chip supper each on the beach, for the same price as 4 cheesey chips on site! There is an Asda just on the outskirts of the town and a morrisons near as well which is perfect for picking up cheaper supplies.

Not specfic to my family as I do not have dogs, but the no dogs off leads at any point was more fustrating to the other two families who have well trained good natured dogs. Understandable with the horses and I am well aware other families are not happy with dogs but I think as a point of futher thought the campsite should consider at least one place i.e a field specifically for dogs to be allowed off the lead. Just to keep all happy!

Would def recommend going there and will be returning again soon to visit... weather permitting!

1 Thank Rachel R
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Have just spent four days camping at Sea Barn Farm May 2013..
The site is quite isolated, which is fine if you are happy with that and appreciate the quiet. We arrived and as the shop was shut being early in the season, we pitched our tent as instructed by the lady whom I spoke to when I rang and booked the site. The site is very well maintained with an immaculate toilet block, and the camping area is smooth rolling grass of excellent quality being well cut with no bald or muddy patches. Although quiet exposed being a hill side site their are planted wind breaks and as the forecast was good we pitched with nice sea views.
The following morning a very nice and polite lady came round to collect payment which I did at the shop by card.
Being a dog owner I conformed with the site rules and keep my dog on a lead at all times .(there are horses on the site).
For walkers and dog walkers there are several circular walks shown on a map in the shop. The farm walk is ideal for dog walking, or alternatively a walk down to the sea shore and back is very convenient if you have a dog.
Weymouth is only a few miles down the road an interesting sea side town with good facilities and beach.
Locally the Lugger Inn in Chickerell provides good pub food at reasonable prices and is recommended.
Overall I would recommend this site as I had an enjoyable stay. It was early in the season and the site was quite empty.
Mike.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weymouth
Moonfleet Manor Hotel
Swallows Rest
#18 of 165 in Weymouth
Chesil Family Holiday Park
Highlands End Holiday Park

Been to Sea Barn Farm? Share your experiences!