“excellent”

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Me and my family found this hotel excellent especially children great location as there is a small amusement and fair ground over the road we had breakfast in morning there which was good as any I've stayed at if not better staff were good and rooms clean parking can be bit of a problem but again owner of hotel was great with sorting that local also to some good pubs and restaurants that were final overall very good value for money

Room Tip: Have seafront room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank stefan w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights, we had turned up in Weymouth looking for a seafront B&B and this one had vacancies for the nights we wanted and being peak season we took it. We had a good sized room overlooking the small fairground and sea. It was very basic, dated and in much need of refurbishment. Good points.... The sheets and pillow cases were clean as was the bathroom or wouldn't have stayed at all.Bad points.... We didn't like the fact that the bedspread and old fluffy blanket on the bed is obviously not cleaned/ washed between occupants. The bedspread was a bit stained so this and the blanket we took off the bed as it just didn't look wholesome. The shower was a fixed to the wall one and didn't move in any other direction, it was hardly more than a spray like trickle it was so weak. The servicing of the room was very poor, we had tea in the mornings but the cups were never washed up, we had to rinse them in the basin, likewise the glasses, as we had a bottle of wine with us and had a glass before we went out in evening. The whole place is really quite shabby and rundown and not worth any of the prices they are charging really for their various rooms. We found the owner Sue Mortimer to be very friendly however and welcoming, but the man that sits at the front desk is very abrupt,and I imagine could be quite rude. However we stayed the three nights as we couldn't be bothered to try to find anywhere else to stay and it was adequate, JUST!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
33 Thank Acetraveller

Travelers are raving about these Weymouth hotels

Cheddar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

In my opinion there is a certain acceptance to the standard of accommodation at U.K. seaside towns. However, The Alexandra Hotel is unacceptable.
I am a 43 year old man who has been working in the hotel industry since i was 18 years old and currently manage a hotel. I have never been treated so badly at any of the many places i have stayed. I booked a twin room without breakfast for £70.00 and requested a large twin if possible and also a parking space. After a 2 hour drive from Cheddar we arrived in Weymouth around 1pm and on the off chance i called the hotel to ask if i could park the car before check-in at 2pm. The blunt reply i got from the gentleman who answered was " check in is at 2". So i asked if it means we can't park the car until then?? "check in is at 2" was the reply again.
That's fine i said i'll go to the beach for a while and come back to check in. We went to the beach for a couple of hours and returned to the hotel around 3pm, parked the car and checked in.
Shortly after we went back to the beach to meet a couple of friends who were staying at another property further along the beach. After spending some time together we all returned to The Alexandra first as it was the closest thinking that our friends could wait while we had a wash and got ready to go back out. My partner and her friend went into the hotel while i finished my cigarette outside with my friend. A few moments later they returned followed by an irrate, burley gentleman bellowing into the street "only Mr Murray can come in, are you Mr Murray?" i replied that i was and he said "only you and the girl can come in" then stormed back inside. I went inside and found him sitting behind the front desk. I asked if it was possible for our friends to come in and wait while we got changed to go out again? " this is a hotel, not bloody self catering.!! " was the answer. I understand that, i said, they only want to wait a few minutes while we change. "Have you got a problem??" the gentleman said. I said, i don't understand why you are being so aggressive when i am only asking a question in a civil manner. " Have you got a problem??" again.
I went outside and told our friends they couldn't come in and to either wait outside for us or back at their accommodation. I went back inside and upstairs to the bedroom, which has to be one of the worst i've ever been allocated but it was just for the night so i wasn't too bothered. I went into the bathroom hoping to have a shower to wash off all the sand but there was only a bath.
I went downstairs and the same gentleman was behind the desk. I asked if there were any other rooms available with a shower that we could swap. " You booked a twin room" was the reply. I understand that, i said. I'm only asking if you have any we could swap with. " I told you, you booked a twin" Ok i said i was only asking. " There's a shower out the back" he said. I asked if it was private or public. " It's out the back". I asked how to get there and he said round the corner. So i went to have a look and sure enough there was a bathroom round the corner, out the back, with a bath and shower. Good i thought, we can use that.
On may way back past the desk to go upstairs i stopped and asked the gentleman why he was being so angry and aggressive. He said he wasn't and i said well your face has gone extremely red. I also tried to explain that i was being civilised in the way i was talking and about the requests i had, and told him that i understand the difficulties as i am in the same industry and manage a hotel myself. He looked at me " looking at your appearance, i don't think so. You can't pull the wool over my eyes". How dare he, i thought, not forgetting we had recently returned from the beach and as yet had not been able to wash and change out of our beach wear.
I asked if my card had already been charged? " read your booking form", i explained that it was still packed in my bag and could he not just tell me if my card had been charged, " read your booking form".
"Anyway i've already complained to laterooms" he said. Thats fine i said, i'll call them myself when i go upstairs because this treatment in this industry is unacceptable. On my way upstairs i could hear him saying, " did you hear all that?" so i went back down and he was by himself so i asked if he had someone on the phone listening or if he was recording the conversation, because i had a right to know. He said he was talking to another client.
I retuned to my room where my partner was and called laterooms to explain the situation. While i was on the phone there was banging at the door. My partner answered the door and it was the same man, bursting into the room and shouting " you got 15 minutes to get out or i'm calling the police" i said he could call them now as we hadn't done anything wrong and i hadn't done or asked anything unreasonable. " 15 minutes or i'm calling the police"
A few minutes later while i was still on the phone to laterooms the police arrive and said we had to leave. I said ok if he doesn't want us here but i'm not leaving until we find alternate accommodation. The police were fine with this and eventually laterooms found us accommodation.
We left with the the police to the car park at the rear of the hotel. Once outside we noticed there were people fighting outside a pub at the rear of the hotel. There wer 2 police cars, 1 police van and 1 dog handler van parked on the narrow road which prevented us from getting our car out. Completely out of our hands but obviously warrented a friendly parting shot from the same man as he came out the back door and shouted at us in the middle of the street " you were told to get out, so go" as he slammed the door behind him.
In the end we found far superior accommodation for £49 which included breakfast but unfortunately by this time it was to late to go out for dinner and ended up with a take-away.
I would never use or recommend this hotel again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
149 Thank CaberTosser1
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

The only good thing was the location. Very dated hotel, very loud drainage system that keeps you up most off the night, squeaky floorboards throughout that you can hear and wakes you up. Owners were very patronising and rude (especially the woman) would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
34 Thank Foddale
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of days . The hotel was adequate . It is in need of a complete makeover as it is very dated . The shower head in the en-suite bathroom is far to high and could not be moved down . On the plus side beds were comfortable . Would not stay there again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Linda K
Wells, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

stayed here for 3 nights very basic hotel in need of complete makeover !
The whole hotel is shabby and rundown owners are very rude and unfreindly towards guests and need to go to charm school !
ok for a weekend break but there are much better options in weymouth
Breakfast is a joke where told by surly waitress what we where having annoyed when asked if there was a choice food quality not good better off finding a local cafe

Room Tip: find another hotel !
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
60 Thank dave l
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Room & Hotel Interior
The room was clean but the furniture looked as if it had been there since the 1950s, and this goes for the rest of the hotel's decor which was shabby.

Booking
Although I emailed the hotel directly two months prior to our stay requesting a room on a lower floor as there was no lift (re. mobility problems), this was ignored and we were allocated a top floor room accessed via a low ceilinged staircase without a "Mind your head" sign, so woe betide any guest 6' tall and over!

Car Park
Having chosen Alexandra Hotel partly because of their car park and having emailed them to confirm that a space would be reserved for us, we were taken aback when on checking in the man in charge questioned our entitlement to use the car park and, as he was too lazy to check his own records, I had to produce a copy of their emailed confirmation which fortunately I had brought with me. He even had the audacity to remark that the email didn't look like a genuine email from them and said that they don't normally make a space in their car park available for guests staying one night only, although there was no mention of this on their website and I had received confirmation from them of a booked space! He finally agreed that we could park the car in their car park, but his attitude was one of doing us a BIG favour!

Breakfast
We had booked on a bed and breakfast basis with TopRooms and on their confirmation email it clearly states that breakfast is included in the price we were charged. However, the same man at the hotel told us that breakfast was not included in the price and would cost an extra £9 per head! Another unusual "custom" of this hotel is that they will not serve breakfast before 8:30am at the weekend. I have stayed in many hotels both in the UK and worldwide and have never encountered this rigid timing. We therefore decided to have breakfast in a nearby cafe where we got a "full English" breakfast served by customer friendly staff for only £3.50 each.

Departure
The man in charge gave us info. about a public car park in the town where we could park after checking out of the hotel, but stated that we should get there before breakfast to get a space. This didn't prove easy as the hotel car park gate was locked until 09:30 and so we asked for help. A female member of staff, after complaining that she was too busy, grudgingly opened the gate for us, making it seem as though she was doing us a BIG favour!

Staff
I have never encountered such surly, unfriendly staff in a British hotel.

AVOID ALEXANDRA HOTEL, WEYMOUTH, IF YOU CAN!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends