“Wonderful in every way!”
Review of Douneside House

Douneside House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aboyne
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This was our seventh stay at Douneside, and as with all the previous occasions we had a wonderful time. The children love the beautiful grounds and the swimming pool. It is extremely relaxing for us with delicious food, amazingly helpful staff and a fantastic location. We really cannot recommend it highly enough. We have already booked for next year and cannot imagine a time when we will not be coming here.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

From the moment of arrival, my wife and I, and our 16 month old little boy, were made to feel incredibly welcome. The view from the room overlooking deeside was stunning and gardens were beautifully tranquil. The room was really spacious and a travel cot was supplied so we all had plenty of space to sleep. The food was good and the service excellent - the dining room was well within reach of our baby monitor too so we could relax over dinner whilst listening out for our little boy. I also availed myself of the fishing on the estate's trout lochan. It's hidden out of the way so is very peaceful but I'd advise you walk the last bit of the track to get there unless you've a 4x4! Overall, douneside is a peaceful idyll within easy reach of terrific family days out. Service is great and the atmosphere friendly and tranquill - highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David F
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was my first trip but my my wife and son had stayed last year with her parents. I had heard it was good but that was a serious understatement!
We stayed in the Gate House and it was very comfortable for the 5 of us (as my in-laws were with us again this year).
The main house was very relaxing with all the meals being of superb quality.
The leisure centre was also better than I expected.
On the activity front it helped that we had good weather the week we were there but there is good golf nearby, cycling opportunities of all different types, as much walking as anyone could want, serious meandering around the grounds to be done, castles to visit, farm shops to spend money in or if you just want to chill in the conservatory then you can do so.
Hopefully we'll be back before too long!

Room Tip: The Gate House is very comfortable and each bedroom having its own bathroom is a bonus.
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We only booked for two nights as we weren't sure what to expect - next time we'll definitely be staying for longer and hopefully bring lots of friends. My friends and colleagues are getting bored with me raving about it. Hospitality and service was superb, the rooms, leisure centre, gardens (including an amazing walled garden which is every gardeners dream), food, wine (etc etc) were immaculate. The attention to detail is what makes this place so attractive and welcoming. I can't recommend it highly enough. Stop reading reviews, go and book!

Room Tip: We had Rooms 1 and 2 which were superb for families (opposite to each other which enabled my childre...
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My mother and I had a brilliant "short break" at this fantastic hotel, and we will definitely be coming back again next year. Food, staff and swimming pool were all superb, I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Great place to stay very relaxing place with exhilarating views. All the old house trappings with antiques, artifacts and quite corners. Yet loots of outdoor stuff for all ages, From croquet to hill walking, golf and fantastic fishing. Enthusiastic and friendly staff. Our stay was too short.

Room Tip: Try a room with a turret and a view to read and chill
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here many times over the years. It is very beautiful, especially the grounds. The staff are wonderful. It is a great place to recharge the batteries. The dinner is a set menu but if it isn't to one's taste, the chef will always suggest an alternative. I am always delighted to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aboyne
Kildrummy Castle Hotel
#2 of 4 in Ballater
Braemar Lodge Hotel
Braemar Lodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Braemar

Been to Douneside House? Share your experiences!