“Nice place but poor value for shooting and archery as a group”

Deeside Activity Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Aboyne
More attraction details
Owner description: Based on Royal Deeside in Grampian, Aberdeenshire we offer a range of Outdoor and corporate teambuilding activities. From quad biking round our mud-splattered course and kart racing on our asphalt racing circuit, to hitting the bullseye on our fully automatic archery range and breaking a clay at our clay shooting facility. We offer something for everyone from 8 years to 80 years. At the park there is also a coffee shop, conference room, children's play area and 3 self catering cottages.
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I booked air rifle shooting and archery for 3 people for 1.5 hours costing 3 x GBP35.00 = GBP105.00. The shooting range is a grass area of around 25 metres in length with a number of targets varying in distance and size. Shooting is from a covered area with tables and seating. We were accompanied by a friendly young instructor who showed us how to load the compressed air rifle with pellets and use the sights. Seated at the tables, the rifles were accurate and easy to shoot with no kickback. Only 2 rifles were supplied, so we had to take turns between the 3 of us. In addition, firing was also organised in turns, for part of the time. The instructor was helpful.

Next was the archery, and arrows are fired from an open fronted shed. The equipment looked in good condition and functioned well (as well as could be expected for the novice users!). There was only one target which was on a rail that could be moved back to around 18 feet and no further. One bow was supplied, so again we had to take turns to fire the arrows. The instructor was good humoured and helpful.

If we had booked 3 sessions of 1.5 hours for 1 person each for the same price, I presume that we would have had 2-3 times the amount of shooting and archery time each (assuming that the management doesn't group unknown people together), which means that while the place and the people were nice, the value for us as a group of 3 people paying full price for all of us was quite poor. I suggest that if you go as a group, 1-2 people do shooting or archery while the others do e.g. quad biking, which is not done in turns, and then afterwards change around so that you get better value for your money. You might want to check first whether the management has a policy of grouping people who are not in the same party.

It is a good place to experience a range of outdoor activities difficult to do if you don't own land, but at the prices charged, and especially the apparently poor value for some activities if you go as a group, it is difficult to imagine making this a regular event at the weekends.

2  Thank Washand
femc8215, Owner at Deeside Activity Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Sorry I'm a bit late in getting this reply done. I 'm also sorry that this particular party did not feel we gave goo d value for money. It appreciate that they liked our venue, and that they acknowledged the quality of the instructor.

The reason we do not allow any more that two people to shoot at a time is purely a safety issue, but I also feel that our guests learn a fair bit by seeing their colleagues making the same mistakes as they do. It's a bit like video recall (or whatever its called).

We're very proud of our Archery range. I believe it's the only one in Europe, and as the reviewer says, the target is on rails, and moves back and forth, to allow unloading the target of your arrows. It is ideal for any of our guests with some disability, and also very handy if it should be raining !! However, the range is 30 metres long, not just 18 ft !

We try very hard to look after our guests by investing in good kit and good instructors, and it is very disheartening for all of us when we get a poor review. I'd really appreciate if people can speak to me or the team, and we can then at leastr try to remedy the situation.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

we go to activity centre a lot as the food is fantastic and reasonably priced we do not use any of the activities as we are eldery but lovely to see everyone enjoying themselves and we are treated as friends from owners to part time staff nothing too much trouble

2  Thank joanie81
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We booked a 2 hour session 1 hour for archery and the second hour for Quad bikes. I must admit while archery was fun they only had one target so we had to take it in turns to fire, which i felt was time wasting. Quad Biking was awesome, we all had a good time and the trainers were up for a laugh. Our trip turned sour when they locked us in the Car Park! yes that's correct THEY locked us in....how do you do that? 2.5 hours later the owner did come and get us out after the police was able to track down his number. No apologies. No freebies. Actually got more freaked out when we suggested he pay for the taxi fare (it was only £20). Hope you dont get stuck if you do deeside to go!

2  Thank A4tma
femc8215, Owner at Deeside Activity Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

It's really disappointing to see this review, as it's pretty good until you get to the locked in part ! This did happen, obviously by mistake, and it did take a couple of hours to track me down. The moment I was informed, I rushed to unlock the gate, and found that the gentlemen involved had driven their car into some woodland, and got stuck. I hitched a line on to them, and towed them out, and apologised for the situation they had found themselves in.

We have since tried to make contact to offer some activity vouchers, by way of further apology, but have had no reply.

Ken Howie

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We signed up for half day activities. Starting with digger moves, digging a hole and filling it up again and spinning round, we moved onto axe throwing (too hard!). Had a go at clay pigeon shooting (became easier once I kept my eye open when pulling the trigger!) and finished with air rifle shooting, which was easy!! Fun day out with great instructors. This was my 3rd trip, and will be back again next January!

1  Thank stevetracy1971
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Dropped by while visiting good friends in the area. We were on vacation near by for the new year. Our crew of 2 dads and one each 8, 11, and 13 year-old boys got their fill go carting, shooting, and quad biking. Staff was super and showed great humor in the chill as the flurries came down. Boys and dads alike were thrilled with the activity as well as the hot chocolate, burgers, and sausage sandwiches that followed.
Equipment was well maintained, and safety was obviously a top priority for the staff.
Our day was the 'family sampler' where you get to choose 3 activities.
Suffice it to say, a great time was had by all!