“Mid week break in the Scottish Countryside”

The Lodge on the Loch of Aboyne
Ranked #4 of 8 Aboyne B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2013

To get away from the day to day stress (work, looking after elderly relatives) my wife and I booked a Superior Double Room at the Lodge in the newly added hotel section. We were allocated room 3, with a superb view over the Aboyne Loch. We arrived late, so could not take advantage of the outdoor Jacuzzi with the snow over 2 inches deep :-). The room had a super king-size bed, and was beautifully decorated with great ambiance (good Feng Shui). The ensuite shower room was very well appointed (new) and the shower was nicely powerful. Our evening dinner was excellent. The (sea) food was great (mussels, hake, salmon, Butternut Risotto) with a nice touch that the dinner was served on heated plates, not often experienced in restaurants any more. The service was friendly and relaxed. Jean and Derek and their friendly staff made us very welcome indeed. The rooms were fully booked, and it was good to see people enjoying themselves on a cold wintry night away from the hustle and bustle of the city. After a great night sleep, with the bed having a nice and firm mattress, we had a relaxing breakfast with a lovely view of the Loch (although frozen over). Sadly we could not use the 9 hole golf course as it was covered in snow. We enjoyed our little holiday, as that is how it felt even for 1 night. There is a full Spa facility available for those who want it but we did not stay long enough. We'll be back in May to enjoy the deck and views again in warmer weather we hope.

Room Tip: All rooms are Loch facing. We booked room 3 as it had a massive bed. This room was very quiet too, w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Booked the Hammam room which has great view over the lake. Enjoyed the personal sauna and deep soak, had great massage and facial which were very relaxing. The food were delicious and really enjoyed our stay here. The welcome was warm and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife & I spent our Anniversary at the Lodge, the accomodation was great and the view across the Loch was amazing.
The food was also very good and Jean & Derek were lovely hosts.
If you fancy having your own sauna I would recommend the Hammam room.

Room Tip: try the Hammam room
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My job sees me staying in many 4 & 5 star hotels around Europe & if the truth be known I only stayed in the Lodge on the Loch because I couldn't get one of my usual hotels in Aberdeen. I can honestly say that next time I am in the area I will make this the first place I try. Whilst it is not luxury in the same way as some of the international hotel chains it is like staying with family frends in their fabulous country home. The warmth of welcome is like nothing I have experienced in any other hotel, the menu is good old home cooking taken to the next level.
I stayed for a couple of nights in early February with the obvious signs of winter outside yet I was able to sit in the restaurant right beside the patio doors looking out at the frozen Loch & enjoy beautifully cooked meals served very professionally.
I can honestly say that I would have no hesitation in recomending the lodge on the loch to anyone traveling to the area, my only reservation was the distance from Aberdeen but it was well worth the effort.

Room Tip: the upstairs rooms have doors which open to make you feel even more part of the surroundings
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed in the hotel late Jan 2013 and can easily see why this would be an extremly popular destinations in the warmer months,

the owners were extremly friendly and made you feel at ease food was good and the views were fantatic would deffently stay again

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We were very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the accommodation and idylic surroundings. The view from our room was totally breathtaking as we watched the sun go down over the frozen loch.
The wet room facilities which were accessible from our room consisted of a sauna, plunge pool and a steam shower and enhanced our lazy experience within the hotel.
The holistic treatments that we enjoyed were excellent and very reasonably priced. We enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Room 3 which was linked to suite containing sauna, steam shower and plunge pool.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Booked this hotel on the strength of it's facilities but was dissapointed to find when we arrived that the spa was closed. The choice of food on the menu was poor and the quality was average. The hotel also has an identity chrisis as it's not quite a hotel more a golf club. The couple who run it are quite odd and make you unsettled. Sorry but won't be returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Beercan12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aboyne
Douneside House
Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Craigendarroch Lodges
Struan Hall
Struan Hall
#2 of 8 in Aboyne

Been to The Lodge on the Loch of Aboyne? Share your experiences!