“Tranquility”

The Lodge on the Loch of Aboyne
Ranked #4 of 8 Aboyne B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2012

A Xmas gift from the kids
A great place to chill out & get away from it all . Enjoyed a little bit of pampering with a lovely back massage. A great Hot tub overlooking the Loch which we both thoroughly enjoyed .Excellent room with lovely view . Excellent menu & food was delicious .Intending to go back in the summer & playing on the golf course & of course the Hot tub . The Owners Derek & Jean
made us feel very welcome .

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Lodge on the Loch of Aboyne

Reviewed February 10, 2012

I meant to write this review last summer. I had visited Aboyne and had rented a car with plans to just hop around the area, but stopped the first night at the Lodge on the Loch, and was lucky to be able to extend my stay for the duration of my visit. Derek and Jean printed me up a map of their suggestions for a tour, merging the whisky and Castle trails, which I tried to cover over the next three days. Fantastic hosts, and I would go back in a heartbeat - actually hoping to again this summer!

Room Tip: I would think all the rooms would be great.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We (four of us) have just returned from a two night stay at The Lodge. We were made so welcome by Derek & Jean, bedrooms & bathrooms were spotless, the food was delicious and the view over the loch took ones breath away. The informal ambience suited us perfectly. As a wheelchair user I could get everywhere without help. Make sure that you book a treatment with Jean, one of the best therapists I have come across & I wish she lived closer! Local residents are fortunate.
We will surely return next year and enjoy another wee dram of Cock of the North at The Lodge on the Loch.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Overnight on Friday 23 & Saturday 24 September 2011

This was an exemplary offer of service from Derek and Jean and deserved the 4-star rating. My expectation of high quality (vegetarian) board and very comfortable lodging was fully met. The advertised lakeside location of the Lodge was accurate and I was sorry that we could not stay longer. Every single request from my friend and me was acceded to and we always felt that both Derek and Jean did their utmost to ensure our stay in Aboyne was perfect.

A most welcome element of our stay was the willingness of Derek and Jean to spare time to provide important local information and explain details of their menus, wine and whisky choice and other aspects of the services they provide. A delightful and knowledgeable couple!

We would echo the sentiments expressed by other reviewers who (a) gave the Lodge “full marks” for the welcome extended by the McCullochs and (b) could see no foundation whatsoever for the negative comments of a minority of reviewers.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Extremely comfortable and very welcoming. My friend and I cycled 40 miles and were delighted to find an outside hot tub and spa at the Lodge on the Loch. We watched the sunset over the loch from the tub. The service from Jean and Derek couldn't have been better. They made us feel at home and the food was fantastic. I would definitely recommend the lodge to everyone I know as a wonderful place to recharge the batteries at any time of the year.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We had our wedding recently at the venue and we had a truly fantastic time. The venue was perfect, the location is great, the food was first class, the canapes were fab, breakfast was great. The rooms themselves are very comfrotable with huge beds. The facilities within the hotel are great. Our wedding we feel was very good value for money. The hotel is very clean and tidy. Derek and Jean were very helpful and all other staff went out of their way to help.
We did also have a slight problem with taxis the night before the wedding, but it got resolved.
I have a 2 year old boy and it is very child friendly even out on the decking area.
Truly lovely place,we will be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Unlike a previous reviewer, my wife and I found the proprietor and his staff to be most courteous and friendly. Not only that but we had no problem during or 2 day stay getting taxis to and from the Lodge. Both of us had breakfast each morning and they were fantastic. Made specially for you and not out from a buffet! In addition, it would take an awful lot to beat the views you get from both the dining room and the bedrooms.
The bedroom is spacious and tastefully decorated and the bed was large and extremely comfortable. The en-suite facilities are very modern.
There is a golf course attached to the hotel as well as a small gym and spa.
Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have a view over the loch.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aboyne
Loch Kinord Hotel
#2 of 4 in Ballater
The Boat Inn
The Boat Inn
#3 of 8 in Aboyne

Been to The Lodge on the Loch of Aboyne? Share your experiences!