“Appleby Castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Appleby Castle

Appleby Castle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Deep in the heart of the Eden Valley, nestling alongside the meandering river Eden, stands Appleby Castle. This spectacular motte and bailey castle has been held by the Kings of England and Scotland and boasts one of the few remaining intact Norman keeps (not a ruin). Experience the tranquil stunning scenery of this special place. The most important fortification in the Eden valley raises it's portcullis for guided tours. A unique, entertaining and exciting experience awaits visitors to tour one of Cumbria's oldest, most prestigious and beautiful castles. Appleby Castle has a rich history dating back to Roman times.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Appleby Castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

my husband and I visited Appleby castle on our 26th wedding anniversary weekend, we found the tour guide Mr Peter Bass to be an excellent tour guide with an extensive knowledge of the castle and it's history, and previous occupants. he was able to answer our questions, and very polite and courteous. As I have visited many castles / historical houses and have never had such an enjoyable tour it was very personal and unique. would love to go for another visit at some point . Keep up the good work we'll see you again

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fantastic to visit, but they know they will get better too.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I visited Appleby on our honeymoon in September 2013. On the last day we visited Appleby Castle. We booked the day previously, and then turned up a litte bit early to the venue. I'll be honest, there's not a huge amount to do in Appleby. That said, if you like pubs, hills and castles, you'll be alright. If you don't mind driving an hour or so, Scafell's not too far away either. Neither is Ambleside.
But I digress.
Appleby is lovely - a nice little country town with good pubs and good beer. And everywhere we ate knew how to cook. We weren't disappointed.
But on to Appleby Castle.
We booked at the tourist office and then waited at the gates the next day. We were joined by a former public servant, who was very vocal, at least 2 enthusiastic historians, and a few others who, like us, are interested, but far from experts.
Mr Bass, the on-site expert and guide, met us at the gates and showed us around the outer grounds. I won't spoil it, but it was interesting to hear why things are where they are - moats, walls etc. It's a huge shame that the tower is surrounded by scaffolding. It's necessary, but I wish it wasn't.
And on we went to the interior. The inside of the manor is beautiful. Some of it is replica, but that's ok. Its history is far more important than the countryside surroundings give it credit for. And the things that aren't replica - wow. The furniture, the tapestries, the woodwork. And the tower and the basement are still authentic. This is genuinely something from the past that I'm glad I got to visit before pretty much everyone else.
The historians on my tour terrorised Mr Bass, and they obviously knew far more about Appleby's history than he did. But I reckon that (as someone who grew up in Liverpool and Manchester) they'd probably know more about Liverpool and Manchester than I do too. But, to his credit, he was fascinated by their knowledge. They uncovered a link to the Isle of Man that wasn't apparent to anyone beforehand because of a marking on a chair that no one had previously noticed.
We didn't stay for the tea and cakes as we had to get back, but in summary, it was a really good visit. We loved it, and I'd love to do it again someday when things have been renovated further. I wish Mrs Nightingale the best of luck.

2 Thank PaulCKirkham
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Lovely to come back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I used to come every summer as a child as my Aunt and Uncle lived on site, as my uncle used to work here so I am delighted to see it open again, well worth a visit.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“unique tour of Appleby Castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were originally en route to Ullswater when we read in today's Observer that Appleby Castle had opened its doors for the first time in a decade. On the spur of the moment we decided to go there instead. The Castle gate was closed but the Tourist Information alerted us to the next guided tour. This was an excellent guided tour in a group of six people. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. We don't think we have ever experienced a Castle tour quite like this in the UK -this felt more like a bespoke event than the standard item off the shelf. The amount of detail was quite extraordinary, as was the scale of ancient furniture, tapestries, armour, and other artefacts. For £18 per person we had a unique experience lasting three hours. We can recommend this attraction wholeheartedly - well worth a visit for anybody interested in history and heritage.

1 Thank alex w
Lancashire, United Kingdom
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 209 helpful votes
“well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

well worth a visit. Definitely a place to visit as well as the lovely Appleby area. Go on a Saturday and more shops are open my wife say!

Visited August 2013