“Great short break”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
lancashire
“Great short break”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed at the Manor beginning of December for three nights. Did two nights on a Deal monster and booked an additional extra night. There was a wedding and a firms Christmas party going on one night as well but this did not interfere with out relaxing break at all. The Manor was superb, ate in the Bistro twice and the a la carte restaurant one night. On all occasions the food was superb and the attention from all staff was brilliant. Went in the leisure centre once, more than adequate. The staff really are a credit to this hotel. Would definitely recommend this as a very relaxing break

Room Tip: Try to opt for a garden view or above. The views are stunning
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike2507, Owner at Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Wow, thanks for your great review. We do feel passionately about the hotel and the service our guests receive, we try to make it feel like a home from home and we put a lot of time and effort into the hotel to create a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. A hotel is not a hotel without its staff, so it's great for them when they receive praise. Many thanks for taking the time in sharing your experience at the Manor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Many thanks
Mike & Angela Dunbobbin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
york
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed here on my own for two nights last Thursday and Friday. I was back in Appleby for my daughters parents evening at the Grammar School. On that night we ate in the new bistro and the food was sublime! I then spent the evening sat in the lounge relaxing before going up to my room.

Breakfast was lovely the next morning, and I have to mention Mike who was simply a wonderful host on both mornings, what a gentleman!

My room was lovely and comfortable... and I had a television in the bathroom! The only negative and this is really picky I know, no plug sockets near the bed. I had to unplug the kettle and tv near the window in order to charge my phone and Macbook.

A wonderful stay in a wonderful hotel and I will definitely go back!!

Thank you for making my time again in Cumbria special x

Room Tip: Pick a deluxe room...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lksimpson2008
Mike2507, Owner at Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Wow, Thank you so much for your great review. It gives everyone at the manor a great buzz to know you have enjoyed your time with us.
Really pleased you thought your meal in the bistro was sublime & great value which is always our aim, Its great to get feedback about the bistro as it was only opened in august this year.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Northants
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed on a Saturday and sunday night, we ate in the the restuarant both nights, the food was first class as was the service, the prices in the bar were a little steep(a large glass of merlot and a pint of bitter £9.50), but both were good quality, the breakfast was really good quality and plenty of choice. Our room (no7) was above the main entrance/reception, we found it more than acceptable, all in all we would definetly pay a return visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at Appleby Manor.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, I will of course post your review on our staff notice board so the whole team can take pride in your review. Thank you also for your comments about your Meals, we do try to use as much local good quality produce as possible. I will also pass your comments on to our great house keeping team who are really unsung hero's and contribute a great deal to the appearance of the hotel. In mitigation to you comment about the bar prices, our large wine glass is 35cl which is a 1/3rd of a bottle, hence the higher cost than standard 25cl measure.
I would like to thank you for your time and efforts that you have taken to let us know about your pleasant experience with us and look forward to welcoming you back

Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful two night break at Appleby manor Hotel.
A beautiful hotel in a lovely setting with very attentive staff and excellent food. A real winter treat!
Several places of interest to visit nearby even in winter.We loved Appleby, Penrith, Ullswater (limited sailings),The Rheged Centre and the amazing Lowther Castle (you need a dry day).

Room Tip: We had a garden room which was super - spacious and lovely views. On ground floor- suitable for peo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Mike2507, Owner at Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review of the manor. Its fantastic to know we are doing something right and it does give all the team a buzz to know our guest are enjoying their time at Appleby manor. Thanks for highlighting all the great things to do in the local area we are really blessed in our situation so close to the Lake District, North Yorks Dales and the Pennines.
Hope to welcome you back in 2014.
Regards
Angela & Mike Dunbobbin
Chesterfield
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of November, with the help of a super Travelzoo deal. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were most impressed. We had a super room in the original Manor house, loads of space, quiet and with a wonderful view. The food was tip top. 2 evening meals, one in the restaurant and one in the more informal Bistro were excellent. Not a huge choice but it was all tasty and well presented. Breakfasts were fantastic with absolutely everything you could ever wish for available (the full English was up there with the best I've had). A good ,well stocked bar and lovely public rooms including a huge conservatory. Weather wasn't great and I'd love to return in the summer as the surrounding area is spectacular.
The thing that clinched it for us however was the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. Always with a smile on their faces and (I believe) genuinely proud of their hotel and keen to ensure all of their guests enjoyed their stay. It made us fell very welcome indeed.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 6 is a fantastic choice if available.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Fantastic! Many thanks for your review. We do feel passionately about the hotel and the service our guests receive, its quite personal as we put a lot of time and effort into the hotel to create a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. A hotel is not a hotel without its staff, so it's uplifting for them when they receive praise. Many thanks for your time in sharing your experience at the Manor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Many thanks
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife booked 3 nights for a birthday treat for me, after having been highly impressed with the website information. Indeed there were many positives during our stay. We were warmly welcomed and shown round the manor. The evening meal was lovely, as were our breakfasts, great attention to detail, a wide choice of food, and served cooked to order, fresh, hot and delicious. There was a wide choice of excellent wines and a prompt courteous room service. The staff were attentive, welcoming and friendly and always ready to help. They seemed a very competent and reliable team, obviously well managed.

Some features however were disappointing. As we sat down for our evening meal we noticed the restaurant was cold (probably because it wasn't in use, and we were the first couple to sit down for the evening meal) To be fair, the restaurant manager did apologise for this, but surely the heating should have already been on. The swimming pool was tiny, and really just a plunge pool. Our bedroom was outside of the main building up into an annexe of buildings, which meant going outside and braving the elements, climbing a slippery wooden staircase to reach a platform that provided access to each room. The bedroom too was on the chilly side, with one radiator not working, and the double bed was uncomfortable. On our second day, we returned after a 12 mile walk around Haweswater to find the room cold, no heating on, and very little hot water for a bath which quickly ran cold. This was probably because it was 3pm in the afternoon, the heating came on around 4pm. This didn't sit with the "luxury bedroom" claim that "set Appelby Manor apart" written on the website

We visited on a "special offer" and we certainly would not have felt we had received good value if we had paid the full rate. The prices for beers, wines, and meals were very steep.

The Manor sits in wonderful countryside, and within minutes by car you find yourself in some beautiful surroundings. We completed some wonderful walks which helped to make our weekend. We just had higher expectations of our accommodation and facilities and I believe with much justification.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building!
1 Thank Paul H
Thank you so much for your kind comments, I will make sure they are passed to the relevant departments. I am sorry the temperature in different areas of the hotel was not as it should be, we have installed a biomass boiler and the water temp is considerably higher than we used to have resulting in a few complaints that the hotel was too hot, we are currently trying different sets so we can regulate better. I will take your comments on board and look at changing the timings so it better heats the hotel.

Kind Regards

Mike and Angela Dunbobbin
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The manor itself is a really lovely building. It has a wonderful cosy and homely feel. I was very impressed with the games room, lounge, restaurants and bars. I cannot fault the staff at all. They were all friendly, welcoming and really attentive to our every need. We had a lovely meal in the oak room and enjoyable drinks in the conservatory. The breakfast was fresh and with a good selection of hot options and lovely pastries. I would have liked to have beans with the full English but that's just personal preference. in terms of service I really would have liked to have been asked what I would like sooner so that I wasn't left with cold toast and no drink by the time my main came. We did use the spa and it was ok as an added extra. I think the fact that they don't have it as a main selling point is good as it isn't an up to date 'proper' spa. The thing that really let the place down was the room. We were in the coach house and the room just wasn't very nice. The bed was really slanting towards the head and not very comfortable. The décor was really dated and just not good enough for the price we paid, even with an offer. I would have really complained had we paid full price.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend the coach house rooms; however as I didn't see the ones in the main house I c...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachael A
Thank you for your review, i am so sorry that some aspects of your stay did not fully meet your expectations. I am pleased the service and food you received from the staff was to our usual high standards.
I really do wish you had voiced your concerns when staying at the hotel as we would have tried our utmost to resolve any issues you may have had about your room.

Regards
Mike Dunbobbin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Appleby-in-Westmorland
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa? Share your experiences!