“Good quality hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good quality hotel”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a one night stay at Appleby Manor whilst in the Lakes hot air ballooning.

The hotel is nice. We had a room in the external annexe, with our car parked right outside. It's only a few metres into the main hotel.

Reception and check in was smooth. We were given a tour of the hotel and then taken to our room. We had booked on a deal which included fruit meringue and bubbles on arrival and a four course dinner.

The restaurant was nice. Food was good, but not amazing. We both had the cod which was a little bland, however the starters and desserts were both nice. Service was good.

We had used the spa facilities, which are a little tired. The steam room was out of order, the sauna took ages to get warm (not hot) and that part of the hotel feels overdue for a refresh.

Beautiful views from the conservatory.

Would we return? Definitely. The positives far outweighed the negatives, but the negatives were enough to knock my rating down to just four stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike2507, Owner at Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at Appleby Manor.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, I will of course post your review on our staff notice board so the whole team can take pride in your review.
We do inform our guests on booking and on the website that the leisure center is quite small and is more for relaxation than serious exercise and we do not refer to it as a spa as this could be very misleading. A refurbishment plan is underway but a project of this size takes time to plan and fund!
On behalf of all the staff I would like to thank you for your time and efforts that you have taken to let us know about your pleasant experience with us.
Mike Dunbobbin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Got a great value 2 night stay at this hotel on Groupon & took my Mum for a treat. Arrived to a very friendly welcome and pleasant surprise as the Manager informed me that we had been given a free upgrade following a cancellation. The ground floor room (no 35) was big, good size bathroom, powerful shower, with French doors onto a lovely patio with fabulous views. The location is stunning and has its own lovely gardens with seating areas to enjoy the view. The overall decor of the hotel is a little old fashioned but spotlessly clean. Weather was very hot while we were there & we did have to request an electric fan as the room was very warm at night. This was delivered straight away and made a big difference. We ate in the restaurant the first evening and the service & food were excellent. Our room price included full breakfast which was also very good with plenty of choice. The staff were all helpful, friendly and efficient and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ctt15
I will pass your fabulous comments on to the front of house team and the chefs in the kitchen, all of which will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.
We do pride ourselves on providing great food from local sources, we make great efforts in making sure our menu uses great quality food from as many local sources as possible.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just stayed at Appleby Manor.
First of all I would like to say what wonderful warm and friendly staff there. Happy to help and very friendly.
The room was superb, very spacious large windows over looking brilliant views. Fabulous evening meal but the breakfast was the best we have had in any hotel.

Room Tip: If in a standard room ask for an upgrade if you like large and roomy rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I will pass your fantastic comments on to the front of house team and the chefs in the kitchen, all of which will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay and meals so much.
West Bridgford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I had two nights booked at the Appleby Manor; I stay in the Eden Valley regularly for business but had not stayed at this particular hotel for a number of years having been put off by the late breakfast time and the obsequious staff

The situation of the hotel is lovely and was made even more so by the unseasonal warm evening

I decided to have a drink on the terrace and then, as I was travelling alone, to have dinner in my room and Skype my children

I was surprised to see that not only was there a £10 room service charge, there was also a £1 additional charge for bringing a drink to a room; however I decided to take the charge (work would pay) and Skype

The food was nice but not exceptional and to add insult to injury the WiFi did not work on either my work or my personal laptop. It showed a signal but was very weak

I enquired at Reception to see if there was an issue to be told that the signal would be boosted, to no avail

To their credit I was offered an alternative but as this was to either sit in the lounge and use the hotel or to plug my laptop into the router

The room was very comfortable, the scenery was lovely, some of the staff courteous and polite but the facilities for a business traveller left something to be desired

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Amanda N
Thank you for your review of Appleby Manor. I am so sorry not all aspects of your stay met your expectations. I am sorry you had problems accessing the WiFi, sometimes guests security stops connection and my laptop connected without any issues. As you said in the review we did offer a fixed cable or even to move room if you so desired.
I hope this issue will not stop you returning in the future.

Regards
Leeds
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed at the hotel with my partner for 2 nights. We arrived to a warm welcome and a quick tour around the hotel - showing us everything we needed to know whilst staying at the hotel. This was definitely appreciated as its easy to lose your way along the corridors!
The evening meal at the restaurant was outstanding and the breakfast was lovely. The leisure suite and games room also added a little but of something to the hotel as you can't always depend on the weather!

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the gardens and it could get noisy on a night / morning. Next to the main road and the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike2507, Owner at Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Llanfyllin, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have just spent 2 nights at this amazing property? We arrived after a long trip in horrendous weather to a very warm welcome. Afternoon tea in the conservatory was just what we needed to unwind. Meal in the restuarant was lovely & breakfast was very tasty with a large choice of food, especially when overlooking the fabulous scenery. Room was very clean & comfortable with a great view of the Eden Valley.
Staff were very friendly & hardworking, nothing was to much trouble for them from the minute we stepped into the hotel to the moment we checked out. We would certainly recommend this hotel & would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: Garden room, fabulous views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Great to hear you would consider coming back to Appleby manor, we do get a lot of repeat visits from our guests and it is always nice to welcome back a familiar face.
Mike & Angela Dunbobbin
Barcelona
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here in early June 2013. Not a planned trip, but happened to be in Appleby and decided to stay over following a late finish working in the area.
This place is a real 'find'. The front of house staff were very helpful when I turned up covered in car debris following a puncture. Check in was straight forward AND I was shown to my room! Not seen that kind of attention for many years. Drinks in the conservatory was followed by dinner. Complimentary asparagus soup was delicious, and my steak was perfect. My workmate went for the duo of pork and declared it delicious.
Room was spacious, comfortable and spotless.
Breakfast was superb, well cooked (to order - none of your dodgy buffets here) and well presented.
Well done, Appleby Manor. Your staff and hotel are a credit. I would rarely re-visit a hotel I booked on business - this is the exception.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens and out to the countryside. Beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim O
Brilliant! Many thanks for your review.
We do feel passionately about the hotel and the service our guests receive, its quite personal as we put a lot of time and effort into the hotel to create a relaxing and friendly atmosphere. A hotel is not a hotel without its staff, so it's uplifting for them when they receive praise. Many thanks for your time in sharing your experience at the Manor.
Its great to hear that you would come back to the manor, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future

Many thanks
Mike & Angela Dunbobbin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Appleby-in-Westmorland
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#6 of 11 in Penrith
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,805 reviews

Been to Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa? Share your experiences!