“Great base to explore the Lake District”
Review of Tufton Arms Hotel

Tufton Arms Hotel
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Tufton Arms Hotel for two nights and had a great time! We arrived on a Saturday evening and as others have already mentioned the hotel car park was full. Luckily there were a few spaces at the front to park the car and the time limit didn't apply after a certain time or on Sundays! On Sunday evening when we returned to the hotel there were plenty of spaces in the hotel car park. We had a lovely room at the front of the hotel with a modern en-suite bathroom and although there was a bit of noise on Saturday night it wasn't enough to keep us awake. We also stayed at the hotel using a Living Social voucher and although we arrived back at the hotel after the cafe had shut on Sunday the receptionist was more than happy to make us a pot of tea and give us a millionaire shortbread each. Much appreciated! The breakfasts were also great! Overall, a good place to stay if you want to explore the surrounding areas/Lake District!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Arrived Saturday afternoon after a 2 hour plus drive, Hotel car park full, small market at front of hotel, so had to park some way up the street, can get parking disc free if charge from the Tourist information shop in front of hotel though.
Went on Living Social deal, which included afternoon tea, after our drive, my wife and I where looking forward to this, oh dear! Afternoon tea to me means sandwhich, cakes, tea/coffee, it has been so which ever part of the country we have travelled to, NOT SO, here, afternoon tea means, tea in the afternoon with a choice of, a lonely scone which had seen better days, a square of chocolate brownie or almond Bakewell tart, very poor, I'm sorry Tufton, you are wrong in your description. You even produced a description of afternoon tea from your web site I believe, all ready printed out, which tells me I am not the only one to complain, telling of all sorts of various cakes available, no they are not,
We had room 3 at the front, like rest of hotel, tired and dated, come on please, quaint it may well be in some peoples views, but not now, it's gone past that, as for the bed, if they where your springs on your car it would have failed a MOT, more recoil than an American Funny car, so soft and bouncy, both of us had sore backs in morning.
Biggest problem though is, Appleby town square appears to be a meeting place for the local youth in their hot hatches with sports exhaust and we where kept awake well past 2am whilst they re-inacted "the Fast and Furious" up, down and around the Town centre. This on top of loud pub music and people outside until late made for a sleepless night, you can't even have a lie in as the times given in the in room Hotel information guide for breakfast is 0800-0900.
We where given an alternate room for our second night, which was room 6, a lot quieter and by the decor, may even have had an update in the 90's, much better than the first at front of hotel.
Positives, friendly Staff, nice bed linen, Molton Brown toiletries, plenty of towels and hot water.
In summary, in my view, a tired, outdated, overpriced hotel, good location for getting out and about if it's not just the lakes your after, would recommend you book a bed and breakfast instead, Hotel just not worth it.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the front if you want some sleep at weekend.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hux64
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

I must confess that I am very disappointed by your review and your motives for it. When you checked in at the end of lunchtime the car park was busy with people having lunch by early afternoon when you parked your car there were several places available. The living social deal that you came on included a cup of tea or coffee accompanied by a scone, tray bake or a crepe cooked on the creperie, this was stated very clearly on the details for the break you came on which we showed you, this was not from our website. We have had the pleasure of over 100 couples staying from living social and you are the only one to have an issue with the tea, everything one else has enjoyed it as a nice little extra, not gone of in a huff and returned the voucher to me unused. Quite bizarre!

I am sorry that you had a disturbed night on your first night if you did do so, we did have several other rooms on the front that evening and no one else mentioned any noise. However I did not question this and went to the effort of moving your room. The next thing I heard about you was from Sita my receptionist who said that you refused to pay the Saturday night supplement of £20 and if we would not let you of it you would write a bad trip advisor report! It is a totally new thing to be blackmailed in this fashion and says plenty about you Thankfully Sita made you pay. For your information on the Sunday night when we moved your room we were quiet and I would normally have upgraded you into suite 14 on the back of the hotel by way of apology. However after your behaviour the day before I changed my mind. Your comments on the rooms are just wrong. They in line with nearly all the bedrooms have been recently refurbished. They may not be to your taste but they are to mine.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

Excellent weekend in Appleby hotel right on market square everything was great. People very friendly not a gypsy in sight. Stayed Friday and sat night only £109 b&b with a bottle of presco with groupon would go again

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed a few nights at the beginning of May on an internet deal.Nice warm welcome on signing and immediately shown to our room.Like the rest of the hotel the room was a bit dated but spacious and comfortable.We ate in the restaurant each evening and were really pleased with the food.Everybody was very friendly in the hotel apart from a couple who had two dogs.Thanks to Nigel for opening the wine shop where we bought half a dozen bottles of interesting wines.

1  Thank netvigator1
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Arrived Friday, Hotel was ok, very friendly staff and waiting staff, our room was big and spacious and the bathroom was lovely and big, was like going back in time a little to Austin Powers which to us was fun and memorable but some people may not like that. it was clean and the sash windows are lovely. We stayed and had meal in the hotel restaurant which was not really up to my standard, I was disappointed but that was the only thing I was disappointed with, there is a lovely Indian restaurant across the road which was a little expensive but OK. Appleby town itself is friendly and very dog friendly as are the pubs. Not many places to eat or not many restaurants so if you are going for the food I wouldn't bother unless your prepared to travel out of the village. Appleby is not a very elegant place but that's what makes it special, the locals are friendly, welcoming and make the effort to talk to tourists. No beer gardens a bit limited if you have kids and dogs!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The opening page on their website states 'one of the foremost luxury hotels in Cumbria' yet a quick check of their 3 star status is the first clue this may be the hotel owners own view and not that of paying guests. Again, click on the link for 'bedrooms' and you will note a complete lack of photos of individual rooms yet the top of the page scrolls through a number of nice looking pictures.

My issue with this hotel is what appears to be a deliberate attempt to mislead potential guests. Whilst I am sure there are some very nicely decorated rooms it would appear to be more of a lottery as to what you get. A quick look at the photos of our 'luxury' room shows it was far from it! Peeling wallpaper, more cracks than a pavement in the bath which had been shoddily repaired , a huge cobweb in the bathroom and peeling paint all over the doors. The tiles in the bathroom were disgusting and looked as though they had never been cleaned. Both booking.com and laterooms.com list that rooms have free Wi-Fi and flat screen TVs. We could only get Wi-Fi in the lobby and our TV was the smallest TVs I can ever remember and straight from the early 90s. I dread to think what a standard room looks like! It is obvious why they don't put photos of individual rooms on their website. The owners should be more honest and list the shabby run down rooms as one price and the newly decorated ones at another. 'Rich, classic luxury' is not what I would call cheap modern furniture that tries to look old, wobbly lamps, peeling wallpaper and damp stains near the ceiling.

Upon arrival we were told that the ground floor room with private entrance we had booked hadn't been noted and had been sold to someone else. That put us and our 2 dogs on the 3rd floor. I complained to Nigel and was told that there was nothing he could do. There was no effort to make amends for the mistake although later we were told that the original room would be available for our second night. The next day we ate breakfast which was a buffet style of hot and cold food. I fail to see how this is luxury when you have to get up to help yourself to hot food. There was no option of how you would like your eggs cooked and the scrambled eggs were very runny.

After breakfast we went to look at the second room we were offered. Again, it was very dated with an even older TV and no luxury at all. There were huge damp patches on the ceiling and the carpet looked very old and dirty. Putting Molten Brown products in a small containers in the room does not instantly make a room luxury. During the first night our dog wet herself IN HER CAGE. My girlfriend went next door to the shop and purchased kitchen rolls and cleaner in order to clean her cage. Rather than flushing the roll down the toilet it was placed in a bin in the bedroom which did give off an odour but we knew that it would be emptied later. We then packed up our things and placed them in the new room and went out for the day. When we returned at 16:00hrs the new room that we had been given was still being cleaned but a note had been placed on the door asking us to visit reception. Basically the woman on reception stated that our dog had urinated on the bed which was not the case. Just before going down to breakfast I had been drinking from a one litre bottle of water, my dog jumped up at me and the bottle was knocked over. I was told that we should have reported this at the time but to be honest I didn't think it was a massive issue. The cleaner then appeared at reception and stated that she could smell urine in the room. I am not disputing this as there were paper towels in the bin in the room covered in it! The woman on reception stated that because there was a smell in the room they could not given us the ground floor room and that we would have to return to the old room up three flights of stairs with dogs. This was the final straw for us and at this point we decided to leave the 'luxury' hotel. The bedding was absolutely shocking and again, did not meet my luxury standard. There was an old yellow itchy blanket and a sheet to cover you during the night. There was a bedding topper over the bed but this offered no warmth and was extremely heavy.

The next issue is parking (which admittedly the hotel cannot do much about). Their website lists 22 rooms yet parking is down a narrow side alley with room for about 10 cars and a few out front (unless shoppers have used them). That means for the rest of the guests you have the pleasure of obtaining a parking disc and moving your car around the village every 2 hours!

For a similar price I suggest potential guests (and the owners for that fact to see what real luxury is) try the Moss Grove Organic Hotel. This hotel is far superior in every way and shows what real luxury and customer service is all about.

This is the first and only hotel we have ever walked out of as we refused to stay a second night. The staff were not interested and did not offer us any money back when we decided to leave. If you are looking for a luxury break DO NOT book this hotel. The owners couldn't have cared less that our stay had been ruined and did nothing to try and resolve our issues. As a previous guest has stated they even moved our luggage which I was very angry about.

4  Thank Chris V
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Sir,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, but I do feel that you need to have a good look at yourself as the main reason why you did not enjoy your stay. I do not know what your problems in life are but it is a shame that you came to share them with us! Firstly you did not book the downstairs room as I explained to you. You rung up to enquire as to availability and I described the hotel to you including the most suitable room for two dogs. When you rang back at a later stage with your voucher details you got Tania and the downstairs room had already been booked. Your booking was confirmed both ways by email with no mention of a specific room which we would have included if it had been booked.

When you came to see me I explained this to you. I was surprised you did not like your room as it is popular one and in line with all but 2 of the rooms in the hotel refurbished in the last 4 years. Though it is on the second floor and not that convenient for dogs. I did make every effort to move you to the room of your choice the next day though it was no fault of ours.

However when we came to deal with your room the girls were appalled. To be frank it had been treated like a dog kennel. The expensive heavy matched bed covers were wet through with the blue dye running. We have sent them to be dry cleaned and do not know yet whether this will be successful. We could not use the the room for a further 2 days after you left due to the smell despite hoovering with air freshners, carpet cleaning, opening the windows and cleaning all the surfaces with strong chemicals. When the chambermaids rang me in the afternoon and told me about the state of the room we had no choice but to put you back in it. We were full and we could not put the people who I had moved from the room you wanted into the room you had left. Which is also why we had to move your bags. Why also would we risk having another room treated in the manner of the first room?

To say that the owners do not care is so unfair, you met me! Our hotel is the complete opposite of what you were implying, we live and work in it. I tried to deal sympathetically with your problems and went to some personal effort to sort them out. I was even generous enough to consider allowing you to stay the second night though I was going to take issue with you over the room which you avoided by leaving. Though I would not have stayed in that smell!

Quite how you have the audacity to post comments in the tone and manner which you have after your behaviour, has left everybody connected with the hotel both incredulous, indignant and angry. They are not factually correct and I think bring us back to where we started you must be a very unhappy person and perhaps deserve our sympathies. We opened the hotel in 1989, so I am approaching 24 years at the helm. This is the worst treatment of a room I have had, combined with a complete lack of respect both for the room, the hotel, the staff and myself.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I wanted to organise a deer stalking weekend for my husband for his birthday, knowing nothing about it I phoned Nigel, owner of the hotel. He was really helpful and organised the trip for me. We stayed 2 nights DBB. We were upgraded to a suite which was huge and really nice. The hotel had real character. The staff were so friendly and cheerful and gave the place a great atmosphere. The food at the restaurant was very good quality for both breakfast and dinner. Nigel knew his wine which was reasonably priced. My husband loved the stalking. Appleby is a great location for walking. We will definately be back!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite for a larger room. Nice and quiet on the second floor.
1  Thank 123AliceK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Appleby-in-Westmorland
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
Edenhall Country House Hotel
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#4 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Tufton Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!