“Gluten Free Problems”
Review of Thorpe Farm Centre

Thorpe Farm Centre
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Coffee shop and restaurant at Thorpe Farm Centre on A66.
Bowness-on-Windermere, United Kingdom
“Gluten Free Problems”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I recently visited Thorpe Farm with my family on the way home.I suffer from Coeliac Disease and as fellow Coeliacs will understand, eating out is never easy . I asked , however, if they had anything Gluten Free and was told that the only thing they had was a rice krispie cake. This was looking positive, until the lady serving used the same tongs for my cake as for all the other "normal" cakes. Huge cross contamination issue as only understood by Coeliacs! As ever this puts us in an embarrassing situation as whether to say something and look fussy or to just grin and bare it but leave the cake uneaten. I chose the latter. I however thought about my actions and the cafe assistants on the way home and decided to contact Thorpe Farm, about the serious effects this could have on fellow sufferes.I had a lovely, positive response at first and was even offered a refund, which I hadn't asked for but the gesture was appreciated and I wrote back saying this would be an acceptable outcome. I have however received no such refund after sending a further 3 emails! I now wonder whether, like everyone else who doesn't fully understand this life changing disease, that everything written to me was to just fob me off! And this is exactly the reason why me and thousands of other Coeliac sufferers never say anything. We are not "fussy" its just your actions have serious consequences! With the new Gluten Free laws coming out I hope this will protect us more!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank C E J

Beverley, United Kingdom
“An excellent place to break your journey”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We've stopped off at Thorpe Farm twice recently when returning from holiday via the A66. The first time we had the all day breakfast, the second time baked potatoes. The portions are substantial, the food is of high quality , the service is good and it's a relaxing place to break your journey - what we especially like is the fact that there's a warren of smaller rooms rather than one large eating area such as in the usual services. There's also a shop and other attractions. My only criticism is that the entrance is an unmade road with lots of farm buildings and no sign of the cafe so that the first time we visited we thought we'd gone wrong or maybe it had closed down. This is slightly offputting but once you arrive at the coffee shop, the experience is good.

• Visited September 2011