“Very Good!”
Review of Pipe and Glass

Pipe and Glass
Ranked #3 of 153 Restaurants in Beverley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I visited The Pipe and Glass for lunch on Saturday and was very pleasantly surprised after my previous visit. The food was excellent, although not inexpensive. The staff were mostly very helpful and charming, although one or two of the young girls working there could do with a little charm coaching and be encouraged to smile now and again. The restaurant was busy but not full, the bar was humming and the outside tables were well patronised. My starter of chicken liver pate was really very good, quite smooth too but the accompanying bread was over-toasted and dry. My main course of fish pie with brown shrimp salad was excellent, not too big, but just right. I followed that with a selection of ice creams which were very good. As I was driving, I stuck to a medium glass of the house claret which was more than acceptable.
Overall, I think James Mackenzie has done a really good job with The Pipe and Glass and I am delighted that he has held on to his Michelin star. On the other hand, I have been more impressed by the food in supposedly lesser establishments. Perhaps the message is that there are other great restaurants out there, even if they don't have a Michelin star.
So, would I recommend The Pipe and Glass? Absolutely, but don't go there expecting Yorkshire portions and Yorkshire value-for-money.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at this pub many years ago and decided to revisit it for lunch on Sunday. The standard and presentation of food was excellent, although quite expensive. It is extremely popular and you may have to be put on a waiting list until a table becomes free. We were lucky enough not to have to wait. It is tucked away in the small village of South Dalton and the countryside is lovely around there.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Went to the pipe and glass inn for the second time as went there 3 years ago. The experience was equally as lovely.
Having a specific vegetarian selection and childrens menu is definite positives as I am vegetarian and we had our 4 year old daughter with us.
The best bits. My partner said he had the best steak he had ever eaten. The bean and lentil stew was fabulous and our daughter loved the chocolate pudding. The staff were attentive and friendly. The only slight downside was that my cabbage was over salty for my taste but that is a very small niggle for n overall really lovely meal.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We didn't expect to get a table at this very popular place with just 24 hrs notice, but they squeezed us in.
The place was humming with expectation of culinary delights and it didn't disappoint. Food was delicious and portions generous, this is Yorkshire after all, with a chef who clearly knows what he is about in the kitchen.
The small sittingarea with its log burning stove and comfy sofas is a delight, especially on a cold spring day, and the glass of white wine I asked for was perfectly chilled.
Normally, I like a sweet course to finish off the meal. However and in spite of the really gorgeous sounding desserts on offer, even I couldn't force another morsel down and will remember this on my next visit.
There is a bar where meals are served with no reservations taken. When passing through the bar I noticed that the plates were well laden with what looked like equally temping food as that served in the main restaurant.
Basically, this is my type of place!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was my choice for my 50th Birthday meal out. Everything was wonderful. The perfect G&T on arrival (In memory of my Nanny), beautifully cooked and presented meal. It made my day!