“Not worth the money, very shabby”

Beverley Guesthouse
Ranked #15 of 15 Beverley B&B and Inns
Elloughton, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money, very shabby”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I chose to stay in this guest house on a night out with friends in Beverley, as it was cheaper than getting a taxi from where we live. I had read the reviews prior to booking the room, but thought we should give it a go, as we didn’t plan on spending much time there at all. When we first arrived at the guest house there was no one on reception (having read the previous review I was expecting this), there was a bell to ring, and a sign stating we were to wait 3-4 minutes and if no one came there was a telephone number to call. I rang the bell a couple of times and ended up phoning the number, the call was diverted to a mobile, and a woman answered and informed me she was not there right now, but told me which room we were staying in. This in truth annoyed me, we had specified when making our booking exactly what time we would be checking in, and we were on time. My boyfriend is deaf, had he attended on his own he would have been unable to check in - why run a guest house if you can’t be bothered to be there when your guests show up?

The room was basic, and extremely small, it was not as terrible as I had been led to believe, from previous reviews, but it was not worth the £49 we paid. It was clear that only the visible parts of the room had been cleaned, as putting your foot even slightly under the bed meant it was covered in dust and muck.

The bathroom was a shared facility, and was in serious need of updating and a good clean, I doubt the shower curtain had ever been cleaned.

When we came back to the guest house after meeting our friends, the front door was still unlocked, as there was no one on reception, anyone could have entered the building, and I therefore locked the door, only to have my actions questioned by what I presume to be a manager the following morning.

All in all it was not the worst place I have stayed, but I would not stay again and I definitely would not recommend it! Pay a little more and stay somewhere nicer, I would avoid this place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank SteviekReid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Me and my partner stayed here on New Years Eve, the second time I have stayed here. I've read through some of the reviews and they really don't do it justice. The rooms are decorated to a high standard with some interesting and quirky furnishings, it's a lovely building to stay in and in a good location for access to the town centre. The cooked breakfast was of a good standard and I found the owner to be pleasant and friendly. Would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I wish I had read the reviews before I stayed. More fool me and more fool you if you still decide to stay after reading them. I was dupped by the nice looking building and a nice website. I urge anyone thinking of staying here not to fall in the same trap. I too was charged a deposit but when I said I wasn't staying surprise surprise they charged me the full amount.
My PA rang to say I wouldn't be staying and instead of seeking feedback to make improvements (which is what I would expect for someone in this industry) they were very rude demanding to know who they were speaking to. Who he was speaking to was a customer whom he had just lost. What this owner didn't realise was I was hoping this guest house would be good enough to spend 2 nights a week here permanentley and have colleagues who need accommodation in beverley probably an additional 50 times a year. This is now business I am happy he hasn't got and a central location hotel has. More fool the owner who judging by his responses to people's reviews actually does not care about custom or is that self centred or doesn't need the income. The room had no heating and definitely as others have said very shabby, I can only imagine despite the responses from the owner to contrary that any investment in the room was money poorly spent or the owners are so far out of touch to what guests actually want in a b and b. You are welcome to my full money and I echo previous comments made about being a conman. Spend my money wisely as I can only hope people do not experience the minster garth with its present ownership and management.

Room Tip: Absolutely don't stay here regardless of owner charm and price
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank adrian v

Travelers are raving about these Beverley hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews for this place and went into it very apprehensive yet open minded. The reviews don't help this place at all.

When I arrived it was very clear where to enter with a please enter sign on the side door. I entered and reception was empty but there was a clear note saying please ring bell or ring number. I rang the bell and two minutes later a very polite lady appeared who showed us to room 7. Room 7 was one of the highest rooms- not for the faint hearted- many stairs! It had shared bathroom facilities also on the same floor.

When we entered the room there was a broken lamp on the bed and she explained the gentleman would fix it whilst we were out. He didn't do this but it was no problem during our one night stay. In the room which was very small there was a large fridge - presumably this is for people who use this as a long term base. I would suggest this was removed (if possible) for one night or two night only guests as it would have given much more room in front of the mirror to prepare for our evening out. There was a tv in the room which worked fine and also a radiator that appeared to be heating the room well.

The shared bathroom was clean and there was plenty of toilet roll- I'm not sure if anyone else was staying in the shared bathroom rooms.

The breakfast room was signposted I can imagine it would be impossible to find otherwise.

We arrived for breakfast at 8:30am on New Year's Day so managed to eat alone. we had cereal and made ourselves some toast. The polite lady from the day before made us a full English although it wasn't all to my liking (I am very picky) my partner thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't ask for an altered breakfast as there were no menus saying what they offered on the full English. This would be another suggestion: produce a simple menu so people can choose the items- I don't eat mushrooms or tomatoes so it seems a waste to cook them! Some of the cereal boxes were empty so they needed to be removed along with the spare jams and butters that I think took away some space to prepare your toast.

All in all the Minster Garth Guest House was not as bad as some of these reviews. It was pleasant enough and if we needed to be in the area I would hesitate to stay again and try a different room. Please remember the price starts at £45 a night including breakfast!!

If you don't pay for 5 star don't expect 5 star. (The 4 star was awarded in 2007 I believe? Just be open- minded and give it a go if you need to be in the area!)

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank MrandMrsWellyboot
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 30, 2013

ADVICE: If you want a budget hotel in/near Beverley there is a Travelodge Hotel Hull South Cave nearby. It may take you an extra 10-15 mins to get into Beverley, but trust me it is worth it-so you don’t have the stress of dealing with this horrible owner.

Earlier this year I was working as a doctor at the hospital in Beverley. I booked into this hotel via my agency. I actually stayed one night at the nearby travel lodge before moving to this hotel for the week. Big mistake. The owner was incredibly rude. As I was very busy I paid upfront for my room, another big mistake. I checked in late around 9pm due to my shifts and the owner was aware I was working at the hospital. I found the room to be very dusty and freezing cold. However having completed a long shift at the hospital I just wanted to get some rest I did not have the energy to find an alternative place.

Next day I came back after a long busy day and even though the dvd selection in my room was not great decided to watch a dvd to chill. However the DVD player was not working. So I contacted the owner around 10pm. He was EXTREMELY RUDE TO ME. He yelled at me in a way that I am not used as a highly educated health professional, saying that I was calling him too late and he did not care that my DVD player was not working before storming back to his accommodation and slamming the door. SERIOUSLY: Is this customer service? The problem actually was that there were not enough sockets for the DVD player. This was not apparent as the plugs were hidden behind furniture.Therefore a socket divider was required. This should have been there from the offset.

Parking was also a nightmare. It was very difficult to park nearby. I ended up parking in a residential area and walking 10 mins through the freezing cold snow back to the B&B.

This stay occurred earlier this year and having recently joined trip advisor I am completing reviews of all hotels that I have stayed at this year. However from the looks of all the other posts nothing has changed. My other reviews are very positive. I am sure the owner will have a poor excuse in response to this review. Like I said before avoid this place at all costs there is a Travelodge down the road if you need a budget hotel and they will not scream at you for highlighting an issue with a room. The owner here is a truly horrible man and his B&B is bottom for a reason.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
11 Thank Expl0rer12345
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Correct - unmanned reception for duration of stay.
Correct - dirty, filthy bathroom, plug-hole blocked with hair.
Correct - grubby carpets and no apparent house-keeping for a long time.
Correct - no heating in rooms.
Correct - dinning room is strangely located and accessed via kitchen.
Correct - Dinning room is cramped (other guests had to serve us with cereals, milk and juice).
Correct - Will never return, ever and have told all friends to avoid.
Why do the owners not care ...they are never there!

Room Tip: Choose a different guest house or sleep outside...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Dave H
Minster Garth G, Owner at Beverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
I am astonished by this review. The "Gentleman" stayed in one of our newly refurbished rooms, which both Andrea the Manageress and I lovingly refurbished buying expensive Van Gogh prints. The room has a large flat screen TV, beautiful silk curtains, new leather chairs tables and bedside tables. A large bathroom. Every room change is allocated 45 minutes for cleaning etc,. Having called the guest to discuss it, it turns out he is a professional cleaner, so obviously his standards are unrealistic, but all the same, it seems evident that he as with many other reviewers on this site are just unfair and biased. He made no mention of my having returned from friends especially to boost the heating and give him a fan heater. His comments about the breakfast room are totally unjustified particularly as there were only two other rooms booked on that occasion. This man is simply looking at and distorting and exaggerating the negative and completely ignoring the positives of this beautiful house as for some strange reason he seems to have it in for this business.
Filey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband made a provisional booking here and paid a 25% deposit. He was called away on business and didn't end up staying. He thought he would just lose his 25% but no they took the full amount of money £74.
When I complained the owner way really cocky and told me he was bored of this conversation and put the phone down on me.
What was the point of just taking a deposit if you were gonna take the whole lot.
Have driven past this place since and it's a right dump.
DO NOT EVER BOOK HERE.