My boyfriend and I chose to stay in this guest house on a night out with friends in Beverley, as it was cheaper than getting a taxi from where we live. I had read the reviews prior to booking the room, but thought we should give it a go, as we didn’t plan on spending much time there at all. When we first arrived at the guest house there was no one on reception (having read the previous review I was expecting this), there was a bell to ring, and a sign stating we were to wait 3-4 minutes and if no one came there was a telephone number to call. I rang the bell a couple of times and ended up phoning the number, the call was diverted to a mobile, and a woman answered and informed me she was not there right now, but told me which room we were staying in. This in truth annoyed me, we had specified when making our booking exactly what time we would be checking in, and we were on time. My boyfriend is deaf, had he attended on his own he would have been unable to check in - why run a guest house if you can’t be bothered to be there when your guests show up?
The room was basic, and extremely small, it was not as terrible as I had been led to believe, from previous reviews, but it was not worth the £49 we paid. It was clear that only the visible parts of the room had been cleaned, as putting your foot even slightly under the bed meant it was covered in dust and muck.
The bathroom was a shared facility, and was in serious need of updating and a good clean, I doubt the shower curtain had ever been cleaned.
When we came back to the guest house after meeting our friends, the front door was still unlocked, as there was no one on reception, anyone could have entered the building, and I therefore locked the door, only to have my actions questioned by what I presume to be a manager the following morning.
All in all it was not the worst place I have stayed, but I would not stay again and I definitely would not recommend it! Pay a little more and stay somewhere nicer, I would avoid this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Minster Garth Guest House / Beverley Guest House has absolutely nothing to do with Trip Advisor nor the horrible people who generally post such rubbish and hurtful things on this trashy review site. We are the least expensive Guest House in Beverley, run by a Family Team, who strive ceaselessly to improve and maintain our beautiful grade 2 listed town house. The people who offer this unrelated platform and those who post such lies, exaggerations and untruths should be ashamed of themselves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Book Direct Rooms, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Beverley Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Minster Garth Guest House Hotel Beverley
- Beverley Guesthouse Yorkshire