“Excellent food at welcoming village pub”
Review of The Light Dragoon

The Light Dragoon
Ranked #62 of 145 Restaurants in Beverley
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Excellent food at welcoming village pub”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went for Sunday lunch, our party numbering 12 + a toddler in total. I recognise the difficulty in serving a large party but the young and pleasant staff did very well, with not long to wait.Our party all enjoyed their meal and a few of our party appreciated being able to have smaller portions and less than three courses.
All the food tasted very fresh and nicely cooked. The roast meats were especially good and obviously from a good supplier.
The Light Dragoon is rightly noted for its home made puddings and those in our party who had a pud really enjoyed them:- Etton Mess - divine, Apple & Berry Crumble - delicious, Pear & Apple Bakewell - excellent.
All in all, a reallly pleasant family get together and the roaring fire to greet us all made for a really good start to our lunch

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank rachel A

Hull
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A lovely pub where you can eat in the lounge area or restaurant. Booking is recommended as they get very busy especially on a Sunday. We booked Sunday lunch and it was superb. I had the creamy mushrooms for starters and my partner had the pâté which he said was home made and was delicious. I had the roast pork and my partner had the sirloin of beef. The meat was cooked and cut beautifully. Nice thick slices of meat, and there was a beautiful medley of vegetables. Stuffing was also home made and was moist and very tasty. The waitresses are very polite and attentative and looked very professional in their black attire with lime green aprons. This is our second visit recently and it did not disappoint. Excellent food at a reasonable price.

2 Thank Cheryl T
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Not bad,But better elsewhere”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife,sister and I were looking for somewhere different to try and after searching through reviews on TA opted for the light dragoon.We booked a table for 7pm and after ordering some drinks at the bar was shown to our table.First impression was the horrid colour scheme on the far wall that was totally out of context with the rest of the room.We all ordered mains,I opted for the fish and chips,The wife ordered a pork dish and my sister the steak and ale pie.The meals came around half an hour after ordering,which is around whats expected for freshly cooked fare.My meal although well cooked was a tad on the small side considering the price of 10 pounds,was not impressed with the mush peas coming in a very small pot and although the chips were perfectly cooked and home made could have done with a few more.My wife and sister both enjoyed their meals but also thought for the price a little small.They both had eaton mess for pudding and said it was nice.Overall the food was well cooked if a little small in size and slightly over priced.The menu could do with a few more additions as not a lot of choice,The staff appeared pleasant and efficient.Personally I think there are a few better value pub/restaurants around my favourite at the moment being the dog and duck at Walkington.

2 Thank HullGazza
Cottingham, United Kingdom
“SUPERB!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We hold fond memories of our many previous visits to The Light Dragoon when the kids were younger. We have made a couple of visits since Gary and Maggy took over and I have to say, after a few years of neglect and uncertainty, they have worked hard to bring this place back to life. As we walked in past a roaring coal fire, the friendly staff made us feel at home straight away. We were shown to our table in the cosy restaurant. The lovely decor and sympathetic lighting guaranteed a really relaxed atmosphere. This was my parent's choice of restaurant for their diamond wedding celebration meal and we weren't going to be disappointed.
The food was excellent. The homemade steak and ale pie was delicious and plentiful. The chocolate brownie was absolutely gorgeous!
The Light Dragoon is certainly the place to go - either just for a drink or meal in one of the cosy bars - or for that special meal in the restaurant Try it for yourself. You won't be disappointed.....

1 Thank steve504
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Lovely food in a warm country pub.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Went to this pub last Saturday evening. It was a very cold evening, and it was really nice to walk into a warm cosy bar with a nice open fire. We went as 2 couples and we had reserved a table. They have a menu and also a specials board. We all ordered off the specials board, 3 of us had a duo of venison and 1 had a trio of pork. The venison was three pieces of meat which were very tender and tasty, and also a venison Wellington, and I absolutely loved this, it came with vegetables and a roast potato with relish. The full meal was delicious. The trio of pork looked excellent also, and was told was lovely. 2 of us had sweets, and these were of a very high quality also.
The staff were very attentive and polite, they took our order and served us in good time. We were not rushed at all. The full device from staff was excellent.
There was a young lady singing with a guitar on the night, which was really nice, it made for a really pleasant atmosphere.
I really enjoyed our evening here and will certainly be returning. I also think we got good value for our money.

2 Thank Kevin T