“Love it here, great vibe...”
Review of Panizzi - CLOSED

Panizzi
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cozy wine bar restaurant with a Mediterranean menu and an ever increasing wine list. We serve teas & coffees, cakes and desserts and a great selection of sharing platters.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We don't live in Beverley, but visit reasonably often due to the variety of bars and restaurants that is sadly lacking in our own village. We always begin (and invariably, end) the evening in Panizzi. Although small, it always has a good atmosphere and I would recommend reserving a table as it does get booked up. We have dined here a couple of times and the shared platters are very good and the wine list is also very good. Though you can dine downstairs, you are generally taken upstairs to eat. There are two small tables outside for when the sun is shining. Although we don't always eat here, we always have a few drinks here and will continue to do so.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Beverley is a great market town well worth a visit. Visited Panizzi with three friends for Saturday lunch. A warm welcome was received and we were seated upstairs in a great spot. The service was super. We ordered three different boards and an extra. The food was fantastic and we felt as if we were on holiday in the Mediterranean. A great find. Highly recommended and we will definitely visit again when next in Beverley.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

As an international traveler with high standards, being vegan, and with a child who is not just gluten-allergic but also dairy and animal-free, I've learned to keep my expectations low in Beverley (a town I know and love). Something about Panizzi attracted us to enquire about their ability to host a family reunion that would include our child's difficult diet and my own habits, and they were instantly eager to oblige. They didn't get the requests entirely right, but by stopping in first thing in the morning and making a dinner reservation for later that evening, we were able to get a couple of items specially made for the kid and a risotto put aside without cheese for myself. It was excellent, as was the lovely tomato soup. Additional and unexpected helping of pita and humous were also very good. Servings erred on the large side, prices seemed fair. The plates were in fact stacked with a little too much of everything to the point that I had some indigestion, and that can be a problem with places that are eager to satisfy, but I'll take the responsibility for eating everything on my plate and paying that price.

There are a couple of major criticisms. First up, if you do call yourself a wine bar, you need to say something about your wines. Serving a 'Sancerre' by the bottle and a price is not enough; we need domaine and vintage. Well I do anyway - and if I seem fussy, then you don't need to call yourself a wine bar: just stick by the secondary name 'deli' and I won't criticise. Also, if you DO have a Sancerre by the bottle and price on your wine list, try and keep it in stock - or at least let the staff know if you run out so that they don't have a wasted journey up and down stairs. Between the insultingly vague listings, and the staff's lack of knowledge, we were a long time getting a bottle to the table.

Which brings us on to the service. The staff were all smiles, eager to help, young, friendly and bubbly. What to complain about? Only that a positive vibe has to be more than a facade: it's not a substitute for the staff forgetting to respond to questions, requests, and even drink orders: not just once, and not just one staff member, but a little too consistently. The quality of service in British restaurants is lagging far behind the improved quality of food, we know that - but it's a shame that somewhere as potentially superb as Panizzi should provide evidence of this. Given the restaurant's popularity, and presuming that the clientele are the type to leave reasonable tips, the staff should be fighting to earn those tips with more than just a smile. I'll happily forgive the odd forgetfulness or error; more than capable of the same. But when it's consistent across the whole staff, it feels like some proper training/cajoling/consulting is needed.

Those mishaps wouldn't prevent me going back. Panizzi is still at the front of the pack when it comes to a modern Beverley all-day restaurant/cafe/wine bar/deli that still offers a nod to tradition. They are eager to please, and cooking up some great food in a perfect location, right by the North Bar (with limited outdoor seating). Which is why I say 'almost there.'

1  Thank Tony F
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We often call here for lunch/coffee and sometimes evening meal. Real continental feel, (great strong coffee). Well prepared meals, attentive service, very clean, welcomming atmosphere - an enjoyable experience. Not the cheapest, but sometimes its worth paying more something a little different?

Reviewed July 27, 2013

the service, setiing and food were all fantastic would highly recommend it to anyone. Lunchtime or evening you are made to feel special